U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 6,679 times

Advertisements

We are living in suburbia (Katy) at the moment. My current commute is 1 hour. The freeways here are gridlocked, almost always. Getting anywhere is an extreme hassle, especially destinations close to the water. The beaches here are not maintained well, and are a minimum of 2 hours away. The house I am in is 3 bedrooms and in a nice area. I am expecting 2500 - 3000 a month rent, and hoping to live close enough to water activities that won't make it such a monstrous undertaking. As I said before, I am looking forward to the cooler summer temps, even thoh the heat index (based on dew point temp) will be a couple of degrees higher.

The salary hit is going to rattle my finances at first, but I believe it will be worth it to improve our quality of life. Access to boating and water sports is going to be a welcome change, deep sea fishing access is also a plus. I love to cook and have wanted to have reasonable access to seafood, especially fresh mahi-mahi!

My career has taken me all over the US, as far north as Montana and I am welcoming the temps near the equator and I am looking forward to the diversity of culture in Miami. That being said, I do not speak spanish, but I am learning it at the moment as I am very intrigued by the term "spanglish". Is there such a language? =)

I have a good friend that lives in South Beach and owns an art gallery there, so I will be spending some time on South Beach as well as local to my neighborhood, hopefully in a good area.

I think the primary thing I am looking forward to is the ability to do whatever the F*** I want and not have society's judging eyes on my back the whole time. Its not that I break any laws, nor that I am morally bankrupt, but that if I want to take my beautiful girlfriend out salsa dancing and come home severely inebriated wearing a wet suit dragging a caged chicken, while she plays the harmonica, I can and no one will bat an eye. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:14 PM

56 posts, read 47,258 times
I understand your motivations. Wouldn't Austin be a good alternative though in terms of more tolerant society (minus proximity to the water)?? It seems you have your mind made up already so I really wish you all the best! In the end I'm sure it will all work out for you! The important thing is to have a positive attitude.

However, I just wanted to point out a few things. In my experience (and I'm the first one guilty of this) people who come to this forum asking for advice are actually just looking for validation and they have their minds already made up, so they tend not to listen to any advice which goes against what they have already decided. That being said, I just wanted to state some facts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2014 View Post
My current commute is 1 hour. The freeways here are gridlocked, almost always. Getting anywhere is an extreme hassle.
You just described Miami! Your commute from Sunny Isles or even Aventura to Coral Gables will be 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours each way, most of the time at an average speed of 15 mph.

Quote:
As I said before, I am looking forward to the cooler summer temps, even thoh the heat index (based on dew point temp) will be a couple of degrees higher.
Miami's summers are very hot and sticky!! I seriously doubt your body will notice a difference of a handful of degrees. It's like when temperatures go below zero up north: there is no difference in how your body perceives negative 1 degree or negative 20...except maybe how fast you'll freeze to death. So, don't get your hopes up in getting any releif from the heat! April through September you will be just as miserable as in Houston. I would use the term "cooler summer temps" with regards to Miami only if I were comparing it to summers in hell itself!

Quote:
Access to boating and water sports is going to be a welcome change, deep sea fishing access is also a plus. I love to cook and have wanted to have reasonable access to seafood, especially fresh mahi-mahi!
Please, please, please, I'm begging you!! Make sure your # 1 and paramount reason to take the job and move here is NOT because of this, unless your passion for the ocean is so deep and powerful that tramps anything else in your life. This is one of the # 1 mistakes people make when they move here, and then when the itch for the beach is taken care of, they run away...Plus, I had much better quality and cheaper seafood in Chicago...I kid you not!!!

In any case, I wish you the best of luck and make the most out of your decision whichever it will be!

Last edited by Surf&Turf; 01-16-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 07:07 AM

6,802 posts, read 10,206,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf&Turf View Post
Miami's summers are very hot and sticky!! I seriously doubt your body will notice a difference of a handful of degrees. It's like when temperatures go below zero up north: there is no difference in how your body perceives negative 1 degree or negative 20...except maybe how fast you'll freeze to death. So, don't get your hopes up in getting any releif from the heat! April through September you will be just as miserable as in Houston. I would use the term "cooler summer temps" with regards to Miami only if I were comparing it to summers in hell itself!
It doesn't sound like you've lived anywhere where the temps can hit 100+ with the same high humidity that Miami has. Trust me on this, there is a significant difference between Miami at 90 in July/August and (for example) DC at 95-100 in July/August. There's a reason that the government closes down for the month of August and everyone else who is able leaves town.

Now I've lived in Las Vegas as well where the temps can hit 110-115 on a routine basis, and I must admit, I prefer summer in Las Vegas to summer in Miami. But there's a simple reason for that...and as a Miamian you know it just as well: it's the humidity that really matters and not the heat. I've never lived in Houston, but I believe their humidity is similar to ours. That being the case, the OP should definitely feel more comfortable in Miami in the summer than he does in Houston. Just as I prefer Miami in the summer to DC (but not to Vegas).

Old 01-17-2015, 11:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,914,050 times
Op we own a boat and Surf and Turf must NOT own one or at least use it frequently enough. If you love boating then of course Florida is is great for that if you know how to do it right. Having own a boat off and on for the last twenty plus years we know better NOT to use the public ramps but to join a natural club and pay for a slip. We also own a boat with family members so costs and upkeep is spilt between three groups. If you do come down here let me know and I can give more advise on that subject.

Also the mean season is actually June to about October and rarely does it get 95 and higher. Having lived through your summers in Houston and living Miami summers I prefer Miami but that is just me.

If your rent is 2500 to 3000 a month then you can find closer to coral gables, on the south end palmetto bay is a very nice suburb, and some areas that are very close to coral gables would be south Miami.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,091 times
Another good area is Silver Bluff and Shanandoah. These are between the Roads and Coral Gables. These areas are not nearly as pricey and upscale as Coral Gables but there are some charming 1920's homes in the area. I've been here for a few years and love it, and have neighbors in the area who have been here 25 - 40 years.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 AM

10,881 posts, read 16,314,141 times
I lived in Houston and know what the OP is talking about. Believe it or not Miamians but Houston's traffic is WAY worse than Miami's. To put it in perspective, Houston's city limits alone are larger than all the the developed land in MiamiDade County. Houston is a metro that seems to sprawl forever in all directions from its core. It's a nightmare. Also hard to fathom, its Summers are much worse with hotter temperatures, just as much humidity and polluted stagnant air. Add to all this the idea that the city is built with NO ZONING and it's just a cluster****. The OP has already said that his base salary will go up to his current salary after one year and that his bonus will continue to remain larger. So, in effect, he's having to do one year of belt tightening before he can start to feel some financial freedom. I think it's totally doable. Personally, I hated Houston and would tell him to go for it.
What we don't know about the OP is his current financial situation. Does he have money in the bank? Is he paying alimony to an ex? Is he getting child support since he is raising his two daughters? Does he have significant savings or debt to consider? We can't advise him on everything.
As for Beaches, Galveston is a dump. There is absolutely NO comparison to beaches in South Florida.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM

13,838 posts, read 18,793,440 times
The question here is what is your budget for housing, car insurance, food, etc? Those will be significantly higher here in Miami. Not saying you won't make it but your dollar will stretch a lot further than Miami. I would not live in Sunny Isles and commute to Coral Gables.

If you're really set on it-look into Pinecrest, The Falls, Palmetto Bay for housing. With no traffic you can be at the beach (Key Biscayne) within 30 mins. 40 mins to SoBe. They are all accessible via highways.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:48 PM

56 posts, read 47,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Op we own a boat and Surf and Turf must NOT own one or at least use it frequently enough. .

I can't afford a boat, Cubanchic! As the vast majority of Miami's population! Your arrogance is representative of this town's shallow culture.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 4,059,504 times
Don't go it man lol.. South Beach women are deadly for your health, its Vegas South lol

Old 01-21-2015, 04:52 PM

8,172 posts, read 5,226,082 times
Quote:
We are living in suburbia (Katy) at the moment. My current commute is 1 hour. The freeways here are gridlocked, almost always. Getting anywhere is an extreme hassle, especially destinations close to the water. The beaches here are not maintained well, and are a minimum of 2 hours away. The house I am in is 3 bedrooms and in a nice area. I am expecting 2500 - 3000 a month rent, and hoping to live close enough to water activities that won't make it such a monstrous undertaking. As I said before, I am looking forward to the cooler summer temps, even thoh the heat index (based on dew point temp) will be a couple of degrees higher.

The salary hit is going to rattle my finances at first, but I believe it will be worth it to improve our quality of life. Access to boating and water sports is going to be a welcome change, deep sea fishing access is also a plus. I love to cook and have wanted to have reasonable access to seafood, especially fresh mahi-mahi!

My career has taken me all over the US, as far north as Montana and I am welcoming the temps near the equator and I am looking forward to the diversity of culture in Miami. That being said, I do not speak spanish, but I am learning it at the moment as I am very intrigued by the term "spanglish". Is there such a language? =)

I have a good friend that lives in South Beach and owns an art gallery there, so I will be spending some time on South Beach as well as local to my neighborhood, hopefully in a good area.

I think the primary thing I am looking forward to is the ability to do whatever the F*** I want and not have society's judging eyes on my back the whole time. Its not that I break any laws, nor that I am morally bankrupt, but that if I want to take my beautiful girlfriend out salsa dancing and come home severely inebriated wearing a wet suit dragging a caged chicken, while she plays the harmonica, I can and no one will bat an eye. =)
Now THAT I want to see a picture of, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami