Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 PM

29 posts, read 31,279 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am interested, and nowhere to find online, what can I expect in 8 hour Room Service Server work in tips.
It would be Miami Beach or Ft. Lauderdale hotels.
Trying to find out how much money can I make daily or in a month(morning, evening or overnight shift), in tips.

Please help I am not from Miami area.

Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 PM

If it you don't like to answer me in public than please you can reply in my inbox.
Please anyone with an answer to my question...

Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,864 times
Sorry in Miami of all places you will NOT get a room tipper, this is only for cruise ship room housekeeping.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Not much. You'll mostly be getting minimum wage, maybe a little more.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM

I can not believe!!
No tips!
But this kind of job is tipped everywhere in the world specially in the U.S. all around.

Maybe you guys misunderstand me. I am asking for room service server tip(waiter who served food and beverages in guests room), not a maid or housekeeping job or tips.
Usually all of the waiter staff is getting tip(waiter in a bar, restaurant waiter, cocktail waiter, club waiter, swimming pool waiter etc..).

Do you really think that the room service waiter does not get the tip in hotels in Miami?
Please answer...

Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM

You'll be getting tips, but not as much as you'd be making in a traditional restaurant.

Maybe if you are located at a large resort where room service is ordered very frequently you'll manage to get by, but otherwise count on minimum wage.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You'll be getting tips, but not as much as you'd be making in a traditional restaurant.

Maybe if you are located at a large resort where room service is ordered very frequently you'll manage to get by, but otherwise count on minimum wage.
I would agree. This is not the type of job that people go to looking for big money. You'd have to be in one the most exclusive hotels to have room service food that could make anything more than a dollar here or there, and even then a room service meal is not going to be that expensive that the tip would be too big. Restaurants, on the other hand, are big business in Miami, and people often go to rather expensive restaurants with big groups of people (family, or friends), and order a ton of food and expensive drinks. The work may be a little harder, but the tips are WAY more money, especially if you can get a job at an upscale restaurant, and if you are very attractive. Unfortunately, that is the way Miami is - the better looking you are, the better tips you'll get in the service industry. But, not many people go into any job that is entry-level in food service and expect to make big money. The more responsibility you have in your job, the more money you make. Serving drinks at a pool is not exactly a management position, so the pay is accordingly smaller.

If you work your way up into hotel industry management, in tourist cities like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale there is a lot more money to be made.

If you already have a job secured though, ask the management or co-workers what is typical at your new place of employment. It will vary widely depending on the hotel - a La Quinta probably means no tips, for instance. The more lavish and exclusive the hotel, the better your chances, but you still likely wouldn't make as much as you would in a busy upscale restaurant.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 PM

Thank you all for your answers. Now, I am a bit sad because of unexpected information that I received from you, but it is obvious reality of hotel business in Miami.
I thought, however, that so many tourists who come to Miami are giving a decent tip for the food and drink that they are ordering in the rooms, as for example, in New York or San Francisco, but I see that is not the same everywhere in US.
Now just do not know any more what job, reasonably well paid, to look for in Miami, but with new information that you gave me can see that Room Service Server is not the position that earns money I expected ....
Uf how hard it is to begin to live in Miami ...

Old 01-24-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ford View Post
in New York or San Francisco, but I see that is not the same everywhere in US.
How much would you be making in NY or San Francisco?

Maybe I'm totally off, but just estimating you would only deliver to say 4 rooms/hour, and a $2 tip from each would get you to $8/hr, provided you got to keep the whole thing.

If you're making substantially more, it might be true for Miami as well, and my estimates are just way off.

If you're making substantially more, I might also be interested in a change of careers!

Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ford View Post
Thank you all for your answers. Now, I am a bit sad because of unexpected information that I received from you, but it is obvious reality of hotel business in Miami.
I thought, however, that so many tourists who come to Miami are giving a decent tip for the food and drink that they are ordering in the rooms, as for example, in New York or San Francisco, but I see that is not the same everywhere in US.
Now just do not know any more what job, reasonably well paid, to look for in Miami, but with new information that you gave me can see that Room Service Server is not the position that earns money I expected ....
Uf how hard it is to begin to live in Miami ...
Don't let what has been written here dissuade you from contemplating a move to Miami. The people who have responded to your inquiry have been talking out of their collective arses and they have absolutely zero knowledge of this area. Although I am well-traveled (last week I was in Fiji, this week I am in Australia, and next week I will be in New Zealand), I can't give you a definitive answer either. If I tried, I'd be talking out of my arse as well! However, I can confirm for you that tipping room service runners is standard in Miami just as it is in other cities around the U.S. people telling you that such is not the case, or that tips are in the $2 range are either laughably ignorant on the subject or deliberately misleading you for some reason.

I would suggest that you continue to try to research this subject, perhaps on websites/forums that cater to travelers in general. But don't expect knowledgeable information from people who live in Miami who may or may not even travel at all, much less know what traveling to Miami is even like. After all, unless they're in the industry, how would they have any idea what is routine in Miami hotels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami