U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 AM

6,853 posts, read 21,609,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I almost forgot, carolina jessamine is toxic too. There's a nice patch of it at my home and it's gorgeous. What species is yours the shrub style nightshade or a vine of the Jasminum species?
I didn't know that, mine is a shrub about 10 feet high.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM

9,324 posts, read 25,781,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I didn't know that, mine is a shrub about 10 feet high.
Cestrum nocturnum must be what you have. Interestingly I have seen it becoming more common in the wild so it may have invasive potential. Like you, I have it too at mom's house in Westwood Lakes. It is not a true jasmine but a relative of the tomato or potato, as seen by its flowers.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 AM

Yes that is what I have. I also have confederate Jasmine, which is in full bloom right now. I don't think it's toxic though.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Yes that is what I have. I also have confederate Jasmine, which is in full bloom right now. I don't think it's toxic though.
Confederate (Chinese) star jasmine is not a true jasmine either, but is a plant that was prized for its essential oils for use in perfume. Therefore it is unlikely that it is toxic. It is specifically listed as non-toxic to pets, so you can enjoy it without fear.

Confederate Jasmine | ASPCA

Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,702,901 times
A few more from a Monroe County online list...

Allamanda, Yellow (Allamanda cathartica L.) grows as a vine with large yellow flowers. If eaten, all plant parts cause vomiting.
Barbados Nut (Jatropha curcas L.) is a small tree (up to 15 ft.). The seeds contain a purgative and toxin.
Castor Bean (Ricinus communis L.) is a small tree. All parts, especially the seeds, are highly poisonous.
Coral Plant (Jatropha multifida) grows as a small tree (up to 20 ft). The seed, leaves, and sap are the most poisonous and irritating.
Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii Ch. des Moulins) is a low shrub with thorny stems and branches. The white sap is severely irritating; thorns are dangerously sharp.
Dieffenbachia or Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachiase sequine) usually grown as a 3-6 ft. tall house plant. Juice is toxic and irritating.
Lantana (Lantana camara) is a spreading shrub. All parts are poisonous, especially the berries when they are green.
Mango (Mangifera indica) is a popular fruit tree. A relative of poison ivy, its leaves, juice and fruit can cause a skin rash in some people.
Oleander (Nerium oleander L.) is commonly grown as a woody shrub or hedge, from 5 to 25 ft. tall. All parts, including smoke from burning, are highly poisonous. Ingesting a small amount causes vomiting; eating larger amounts may even cause death.
Oyster Plant (Rhoeo spathacea) used frequently as a ground cover. The leaves are an irritant if touched or ingested.
Pencil Cactus or Milk Bush (Eurphorbia tirucalli L.) grows cactus-like as a tall multi-branched shrub (15 to 20 ft.). The white sap is extremely toxic and irritating.
Rosary Pea (Abrus precatorious L.) grows as a woody vine with alternate leaves. Its seeds are poisonous.

Also:

Angel Trumpet

All parts of the angel trumpet (Brugmansia suaveolens), also known as brugmansia and angel-star, are narcotic and poisonous. Deaths have occurred when the plant has been ingested or smoked. Angel trumpet is banned completely in some areas.

Natal Plum

With the exception of the fruit, all parts of the natal plum (Carissa macrocarpa), an evergreen shrub or small tree, are toxic. The white, star-shaped flowers bloom all year long and grow to about 2 inches long with a fragrance like an orange blossom. The fruit appears on the tree along with new flowers, is 2 inches long and tastes like cranberries.

Peregrina

The evergreen shrub Peregrina (Jatropha integerrima), also known as jatropha, produces a milky sap that can cause skin irritation. All parts are poisonous if ingested.

Last edited by StarfishKey; 03-23-2015 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 AM

139 posts, read 258,370 times
I had a plant in my yard called an "Oyster Plant" that my landscaper told me was poisonous.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 AM

I had no idea the Mango was part of the poison ivy family. I knew the sap was irritating.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 AM

The interesting thing is that castor bean commonly grows on vacant, especially disturbed land with no regular mowing. The seeds contain a valuable oil that has many uses. Jatropha species were investigated as a biofuel of which I have been involved with. Labor and land costs make it impractical for Florida. Oyster plant is something I have all over my Key Largo property and it is invasive. but I am not affected by its toxins. Accidentally I introduced it here at my new home, so it took many days to eliminate it.Lantana is very common on roadsides and vacant lots and has become invasive. The natal plum was a common hedge when I was a kid, but the only places I see it now are at my homes. You would not believe how many of those fruits I have eaten along with the similar looking native cocoplum.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:43 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,736,449 times
Mango can also be a respiratory irritant when it's flowering. When my son was younger we would end up in the hospital at least once every February.
Castor oil is good for growing thinning eyelashes and eyebrows - like a natural Latisse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami