Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

"Not only rich people live good today in Miami, any average fellow can afford a brand new 2 bedroom condo for about 350-450k with amazing lobbies, tropical landscapes and large pool with cabanas in their buildings... and near to the same restaurants, malls and beaches that the rich and famous visit frequently, and they don't have to be expensive."

Let's see, how many of us take in 120-180K a year in Miami? Who wants to spend all that money on a CONDO? I know I do not want to. A high-rise condo in my opinion is for the higher paid service workers, who may pull in 30-50K a year. That means the condo prices will have to be 150K or less. Those prices will be here sooner than you think. Celebrities don't live in CONDOS, they live on land first settled in this area, the best of the best. This whole thread seems like its based on wishful thinking and nonsense. I do not want celebrities in my city, I want a good business climate. Miami lost that decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Yes, the OP is star struck and thinks Miami is great because it attracts extreme wealth and has good PR. If a city is defined by great as who lives there, we can't be great, we have huge numbers of poor, uneducated and dysfunctial criminals....

We know better, but if you just invested in one of those "average" 400K condos that the working Joe can afford (LOL), I suppose this thread was created as a self-serving prohecy.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:04 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Miami for celebrities. Palm Beach for people even richer than celebrities who typically aren't famous. Jupiter Island for the "quiet rich."

Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
You think thats funny....? I have actually seen people that look like that all over S. Florida...even in Boca Raton...That's not funny, that's sad.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:52 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
I trying to make a point... many of these areas are divided between the rich and the poor. William felt entitled to point out the rich, so felt I'd show a picture of the poor (just as he did with Lindsay Lohan).

Personally, I feel it is good to talk with homeless people and to donate a few dollars to them. I just would never let them in my car or anything like that.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:23 PM

83 posts, read 287,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I trying to make a point... many of these areas are divided between the rich and the poor. William felt entitled to point out the rich, so felt I'd show a picture of the poor (just as he did with Lindsay Lohan).

Personally, I feel it is good to talk with homeless people and to donate a few dollars to them. I just would never let them in my car or anything like that.
If you ignore the poor man in the photo, you'll see a very nice building behind him, a nice street with beautiful palms with an overall beautiful blue and pink night lights.

Unfortunately any city in the United States has homeless and poor people. That doesn't make Miami unique or the only city with this problem.

I do find a little bit out of taste that you posted this photo. Using the unfortunate situation of a human being just as a purpose to make a point.

Sorry but I don't think it's funny.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
It's a fact not propaganda. That list of rich and celebrities shows that Miami is a great city. Otherwise all those wealthy people would not live or expend time in Miami.
I think I probably stopped caring about celebrities about 15 years ago,much less about where they live.The only celebrity that I've seen a couple of times in Miami was OJ Simpson,the last time going into a liquor store in West Kendall.If he doesn't get his way in his new trial he might be moving to Nevada and leaving Miami.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
I've met a handful of celebrities over the years (ironically, only a few of these meetings took place in South Florida) and most of them have been reasonably pleasant, so I don't really have anything against them as a group. What drives me crazy, though, is the obsession with them in society and the media. It seems like every time Britney Spears farts, someone is devoting air time or newspaper space to it. Is that really news? Or how about the shenanigans of Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan? And don't get me started on celebrity procreation and all the hoo-ha about their babies. It seems like such a waste when there are so many more important issues that need to be covered.

Do celebrities improve the quality of life in South Florida or elsewhere? A few probably do make a difference by putting their celebrity clout behind charitable causes -- and I'm talking about those who put in real time and money rather than just making a token effort and doing it for show. But dedicated teachers, firefighters, youth counselors and the like certainly do more for a community in a typical week than the average celebrity does over many years. While David Caruso is at the Havana Club puffing on $25 cigars, they're out there in the trenches.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 01-16-2008 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 04:48 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I think I probably stopped caring about celebrities about 15 years ago,much less about where they live.The only celebrity that I've seen a couple of times in Miami was OJ Simpson,the last time going into a liquor store in West Kendall.If he doesn't get his way in his new trial he might be moving to Nevada and leaving Miami.

I've heard of several restaurants in the area that have refused to serve OJ. Apparently it happens quite often. Personally, he should move to Nevada, for about 10-15 yrs.

I ran into Dennis Rodman a few months ago in a local tiki bar here on the beach. Typical Rodman behavior was exhibited. Non-impressive in the least, but his social skills were never up to par anyway.

Last edited by island mermaid; 01-17-2008 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
If you ignore the poor man in the photo, you'll see a very nice building behind him, a nice street with beautiful palms with an overall beautiful blue and pink night lights.

Unfortunately any city in the United States has homeless and poor people. That doesn't make Miami unique or the only city with this problem.

I do find a little bit out of taste that you posted this photo. Using the unfortunate situation of a human being just as a purpose to make a point.

Sorry but I don't think it's funny.
I didn't say it was funny. You're pointing out the glitz and glamor that exists only in certain parts of the city. I find it bad taste that you'd call the rest of the U.S. a "Hillbilly Nation", now that's humorous considering a large chunk of Miami's population has moved out through the years to other parts of the state/country.

The gimmick is getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami