Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:47 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Can you read? I had 95 in my first post.
Supposedly you can't read, ManofBethesda said I-195 and Airport Expressway not 95. I guarantee you that is a major highway

Last edited by perry335654; 04-15-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 05:43 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Say what?

The Airport Expressway & I-195 don't count as major highways?? I could understand if you wanted to count it as one continuous 10-mile-long highway rather than two distinct highways, but to disregard it completely and say that it doesn't meet the definition of a major highway is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Can you read? I had 95 in my first post.
I always get a kick out of posters who, when trying to belittle others, make their own comical mistakes, that in effect, turn the point that they're trying to make back onto themselves.

It's usually someone calling another poster stupid, but in doing so, usually does something stupid themself. Here we have deboinair claiming that I can't read, when in fact, it is deboinair who misread my post, lol.

I wrote I-195, not I-95.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:19 AM

6 posts, read 6,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
Actually, I would say many 2nd generation Cubans are less likely to like Miami. In fact, many of those born and raised here tend to go to college here & move out after they graduate for better opportunities, better quality of life, etc.

Also, in you're list of those that like Miami, you are forgetting about the Midwesterners, Canadians, Europeans, Russians, people from the Caribbean, etc.

In general, those from here tend to want to leave, those not from here tend to want to move here. At least, that's my perception.

Right, Miami has always been the city in which nobody wants to stay. Cubans that wanted to earn big bucks in corporate jobs, etc, have been leaving Miami since the 60's. If the arrival of Cubans would have stopped in say, 1972, there would be only a few thousand Cubans in Miami living in the same places they have been living since the 30's. Everybody knew that staying in Miami amounting to live in the "cubanería", but that was before the creation of their own economic bubble. But those pursing good jobs, such as Roberto Goizueta, or Bezos, knew that Miami was some sort of place to live one week every year.

Traditionally, very rich Cubans always avoided Miami in favour of WPB, Switzerland or Madrid and Key Biscayne in the past.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:44 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
It's interesting how many people register accounts, 2 posts, to say that no one wants to stay in Miami.

Well, for someone who was born here and grew up here their entire life, I can see how they want to explore something else. That happens in every city. But Miami attracts more people than it loses, it's currently the 4th largest city in the USA by UA, and still growing far faster than the 3 cities (NYC, Los Angeles, and especially Chicago) ahead of her.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:37 AM

361 posts, read 837,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It's interesting how many people register accounts, 2 posts, to say that no one wants to stay in Miami.

Well, for someone who was born here and grew up here their entire life, I can see how they want to explore something else. That happens in every city. But Miami attracts more people than it loses, it's currently the 4th largest city in the USA by UA, and still growing far faster than the 3 cities (NYC, Los Angeles, and especially Chicago) ahead of her.
So true, people don't want to see it but Miami is growing at a crazy pace, on par with Dallas for job creation !
Miami is the new Los Angeles, people want to be there for the weather, scenery, nightlife ... and not only for jobs unlike other fast growing cities.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 6,436 times
I was referring to a time frame in which Miami was just a sleepy town, nice but a town with only service economy and a hub. Later, during the 70's the city changed to become a very important city that trasncended the postcard but lost part of its enchantment and gain in others.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 PM

242 posts, read 346,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I think of Miami's skyline as a pro! It is really beautiful, especially at night, or if you're especially lucky to be driving over the highway at sunset past it, and is far prettier than so many other cities in the nation. Sure, it's not a huge city, but I think it's great to look at. I have lived in multiple huge cities, and this was one of my favorite things about Miami. It does what it does well.
With respect I must say this is a typical first world female observation and by admiring Miami's skyline you are indirectly harboring the illegal narcotics industry because many insider real estate professionals who live in and around Miami firmly believe that 90% of all the buildings built there now and in the past were constructed from laundered money derived from the sell of primarily Cocaine to mostly U.S. citizens, and frankly I find your comments despicable and tasteless, not to mention selfish!

Last edited by ebn78; 04-16-2015 at 09:50 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 PM

If I may another tid bit to this ever so popular and unfortunate "Cons of Miami" thread.

Being a WHITE ANGLO over 50 years old, growing up in a part of rural Florida that is very close to Dade County for over 53 years, I can tell you I am fed up with our hispanic neighbors. Miami WAS a wonderful place to grow up and live but President Carter was the one who allowed Miami to become the SEWER it is today by allowing the Mariel Boatlift Cubans Card Blanche which continued until the Clinton administration.

It is so sad and breaks my heart that my home, as I know or knew it, is gone-COMPLETELY GONE! It's so ironic to me how one ethnic group, who supposedly came from such a horrible place, as a whole, has such a sense of entitlement and refuses to conform to the American life style, and even has a hate for America. I truly wish they would all go back to where they came from! It's nice to know I am not alone in my disgust and named all of the reasons why I and my native friends and colleagues all moved away from Miami.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 PM

278 posts, read 316,929 times
Wow why is there so much hate on here for Miami? I love this city! If you just glance around brickell, midtown, wynwood, Edgewater or the design district how can you hate this place. Its basically a combo or Monaco, New York and Los Angeles

Old 04-16-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
Wow why is there so much hate on here for Miami? I love this city! If you just glance around brickell, midtown, wynwood, Edgewater or the design district how can you hate this place. Its basically a combo or Monaco, New York and Los Angeles
I bet if you were of the working class and commuting every day trying to make ends meet you might have a completely different view point? Have you lived here 20 or more years? What do you do? Single or supporting a family? You must be single, gay or high income that facilitates one to look in from the outside in. Miami is a horrible matrix and unless you're a very wealthy person, life is very, very difficult, immigrant or non immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami