Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,839 times

Advertisements

I live on a corner lot. One of the benefits is I have no neighbors to my west. However the house across the street to the west is always being rented.

The new tenants have taken it upon themselves to park on my side of the street which kills my lawn, and I find garbage on that side of my yard all the time, I live in a semi rural neighborhood with limited access so I know it's them dumping their beer bottles and bags on my lawn.

I have tried talking to them but they only speak Spanish and I guess they either did not understand or are ignoring my plead to stop parking there. Their lot is equally sized as mine, they have plenty of room to park several cars but choose to litter and park across the street on my lot.

It's frustrating but do I have any options? It's also a great inconvenience when I need to mow the lawn and there is a car parked impeding me to cut the grass under it. It just seems like such a lack of common courtesy. Oh an I live in the redlands area in homestead so not really Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 12:29 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
OP - My neighbor had the same issue ten years ago. The neighbors daughter would have sex with her boyfriends in their swale and leave the condoms in the neighbors swale. Just lovely ... My neighbor ended up putting trees in the swale and that stopped the problem. You've spoken to the neighbors and that didn't seem to work. If I were you I would put those large white "Elephant Turd" bumps and a few trees in the swale. That will take care of the problem. If you call the cops, that will only makes things worse between you and the renters, so just put some trees.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:40 PM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
what abot a sign in both english and spanish?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 11,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
what abot a sign in both english and spanish?
I didn't know I could put up a sign, I figured it be a code violation.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0yjyvwvy0 View Post
I live on a corner lot. One of the benefits is I have no neighbors to my west. However the house across the street to the west is always being rented.

The new tenants have taken it upon themselves to park on my side of the street which kills my lawn, and I find garbage on that side of my yard all the time, I live in a semi rural neighborhood with limited access so I know it's them dumping their beer bottles and bags on my lawn.

I have tried talking to them but they only speak Spanish and I guess they either did not understand or are ignoring my plead to stop parking there. Their lot is equally sized as mine, they have plenty of room to park several cars but choose to litter and park across the street on my lot.

It's frustrating but do I have any options? It's also a great inconvenience when I need to mow the lawn and there is a car parked impeding me to cut the grass under it. It just seems like such a lack of common courtesy. Oh an I live in the redlands area in homestead so not really Miami.

If they are renters contact the owner also contact city hall or an attorney and find out what you can legally do to protect your property.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:51 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,109 times
This is a problem that only South Florida seems to have, every where else in the country, people respect the property of others. If you ask them to not park there, they won't comply with your request and they'll tell you they have a "right" to park there. Not sure where this attitude comes from, but it seems to be prevalent among Latin Americans.
My suggestion would be to make it undesirable to use your yard for their parking. If I came out and found my tire flat or something disgusting smeared on my windshield, I would rethink my selection of parking spots. I don't live far from you, so if you need some dog poop for such a purpose, my Australian shepherd would be happy to supply you with plenty.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
I have seen some pointy white stones in some Hialeah lawns. I don't if they are legal or if someone could sue you if they get hurt or damage their vehicle with those stones.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
The pointy triangles aren't legal, the round ones are.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:33 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
This is a problem that only South Florida seems to have, every where else in the country, people respect the property of others. If you ask them to not park there, they won't comply with your request and they'll tell you they have a "right" to park there. Not sure where this attitude comes from, but it seems to be prevalent among Latin Americans.
My suggestion would be to make it undesirable to use your yard for their parking. If I came out and found my tire flat or something disgusting smeared on my windshield, I would rethink my selection of parking spots. I don't live far from you, so if you need some dog poop for such a purpose, my Australian shepherd would be happy to supply you with plenty.
We lived on a corner lot with a large yard in Palmetto Bay and had problems at times with people parking on our lawn. What frosted me was that the people parking on the lawn were visiting people across the street and didn't want to park on the lawn of the people they were visiting-why they thought it was ok to ruin our lawn they couldn't explain to me, but their attitudes were generally that they thought they were entitled to park anywhere they wanted. Turning on the sprinkler system when there were cars parked there seemed to help, as did strategic placement of garbage cans when they parked there on garbage day.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Although the OP is in a semi-rural area, it is also a constant problem in residential neighbourhoods in town. I don't know why they didn't include curbside parking in most residential neighbourhoods here, like other cities do. People do have guests over, and you wouldn't want to pave over your front lawn for those couple times per year that you have more visitors than a normally sized driveway can accommodate. Isn't it one of the whole points of living in a suburban residential neighbourhood that there is plenty of parking and parking wars don't happen???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami