Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:30 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

I went through hurricane Andrew in the Redlands. A friend of mine lost his sister in the storm, there is a plaque for her at Zoo Miami where she volunteered. For someone to say, that day was their "all time favorite Miami moment" is just disturbing. I'm assuming you didn't live south of Kendall drive and so were not affected to much by the storm. Because if you went through what I went though, along with many friends and family of mine, during and after Andrew, you won't wish a Cat 5 storm on anyone.

Yes, many people benefited from the storm, my parents included. I had many friends and their families that moved after the storm, with nice checks in hand (that won't happen today though, because of the way insurance companies have become), to better lives overall because of the hurricane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 11:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
Our favorite news guy who used to be on Channel 7 after a guy got run over on the 836 by the airport after finding out that the head from the body was missing telling the camera guy to pan up and down to try to find the head. Later it was revealed that the head was stuck in the grille of someone's car and he was telling them to quickly get to the guys house. That's why I no longer watch local news.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:31 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's amazing how none of this gets on the corporate controlled media. My all time favorite Miami moment was August 24, 1992. I hope to once again see an event like that before I am gone.
You must be out of your mind, or were in the fringes of that hurricane somewhere the winds weren't so fierce. In any case, if you are crazy enough to want a repeat scenario of that, I truly hope it is nowhere near me. Because we thought we were going to die duing that hurricane, and we went through nearly two years of hell in the rebuilding processes and its associated miseries.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
You must be out of your mind, or were in the fringes of that hurricane somewhere the winds weren't so fierce. In any case, if you are crazy enough to want a repeat scenario of that, I truly hope it is nowhere near me. Because we thought we were going to die duing that hurricane, and we went through nearly two years of hell in the rebuilding processes and its associated miseries.
Hurricanes are a necessary part of the environment of the Caribbean area. Only a self-centered culture would label them a bad thing. I know what you mean, while at my parent's home in Andrew things were scary. Afterwards there was not one leaf left on a tree. Yet I convinced my parents to run out with me into the lab I built out back, and once the door was closed the nightmare ended. Generator power, and quality construction made it a cool, comfortable night The problem comes with greedy developers funded with cheap money printed out of thin air. The destruction gave myself and friends hope as the money made during cleanup helped build businesses and better housing to those of us stuck in the 1987 recession. Now if someone was dumb enough to buy that garbage in Country Walk, the outcome was different. I warned a friend not to move there and he suffered badly. The storm is not the problem, people are, always.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Not in Miami but up in Lauderdale by the Sea, a tourist came up to me (during Spring Break), while I was walking on the beach with my scuba gear and asked me, "what ocean is that"?

Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Hurricanes are a necessary part of the environment of the Caribbean area. Only a self-centered culture would label them a bad thing. I know what you mean, while at my parent's home in Andrew things were scary. Afterwards there was not one leaf left on a tree. Yet I convinced my parents to run out with me into the lab I built out back, and once the door was closed the nightmare ended. Generator power, and quality construction made it a cool, comfortable night The problem comes with greedy developers funded with cheap money printed out of thin air. The destruction gave myself and friends hope as the money made during cleanup helped build businesses and better housing to those of us stuck in the 1987 recession. Now if someone was dumb enough to buy that garbage in Country Walk, the outcome was different. I warned a friend not to move there and he suffered badly. The storm is not the problem, people are, always.

You have some backwards. stinking thinking

Old 06-03-2015, 01:54 PM

604 posts, read 618,437 times
I was riding metrorail front car, close to where the driver (are they called operators?) was.

When the train was approaching a station, it stopped just at the beginning of the platform, where another MDT worker was standing.

They greet each other, shared some chips from a bag one of them had, said goodbye and then the operator proceeded to move the train to the end of the platform.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
In the old nieghborhood a sheep walking down the street in front of my house, and when I called the cops we came to find out that the crazy family next door were planning to kill it on their yard and have a big feast for their friends and family. I didn't live in the Redlands I lived on 46 street and 102 ave area. I was so glad when that rental home finally was purchased by an older couple.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:27 AM

471 posts, read 621,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
In the old nieghborhood a sheep walking down the street in front of my house, and when I called the cops we came to find out that the crazy family next door were planning to kill it on their yard and have a big feast for their friends and family. I didn't live in the Redlands I lived on 46 street and 102 ave area. I was so glad when that rental home finally was purchased by an older couple.
So you see a sheep walking on the street and that disturbs you?

That says a lot about you....

Old 06-07-2015, 10:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
So you see a sheep walking on the street and that disturbs you?

That says a lot about you....
No what disturbs we iti is a suburban area and think this sheep if it gets into traffic will get killed or from the size of cause a big crash. What also disturbed me was the next door idiots wanted to slaughter right in their yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami