Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 AM

22 posts, read 67,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuName View Post
Cj, complete BS. You ever go to a bobcats game, a tarheels game, or nc state football game?

you want to talk about a lack of passion, how about going to a marlins/yankees game, or a heat/knicks game... oh yeah, there's plenty of passion, for THE OTHER TEAMS. Gimme a break, no passion in NC? Plenty of pride in NC, unlike many parts of S FL, where ppl dont go to FL games b/c they dont even root for the FL teams, they go to root for the NY/Philly/Chicago teams that are in town.

Bored to tears? Atleast they can go out at night and feel safe with their families, even if it is considered "boring." A lot of ppl dont even go into Miami anymore. They are afraid. Yup, that's the kind of spice I want in my life, LOL!
Safe....you've got to watch out going out any where at night in the US and crime is increasing in NC. You can argue some positives about NC, but there is NO comparison between nighlight and activities in S.Florida and NC (as a matter of fact many parts of the country). Miami is truely and international destination no question (and I am not from Miami so have no biased).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,246,071 times
arrowjess,

I think it all depends what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. If you are looking for a place where you have the option of going out to bars and clubs 7 nights a week and find people there; obviously Sunday, or Monday you won't have as much happening as Friday and Saturday, yet you will find them, Miami may be for you. However, if you can deal with lots of traffic, poor customer service, lack of civility in general, high crime, lack of common courtesy, Hispanics discriminating against anglos, in general many teens with little or no manners, as a trade off for a great night life and gorgeous women, then by all means come to Miami.

If you enjoy being around educated people, friendly people, manageable traffic, nice scenery, low crime rate, an overall better quality of life if you are a well educated and civilized human being with manners, than do yourself a favor and don't make the move to Miami.

Seriously, you may want to come to Miami for at least a few weeks and actually experience how it may feel to live here before making the move. By that I do not mean hanging out at South Beach, Bayside, or Coconut grove most of the time. I mean getting up in the morning hitting traffic, going to the grocery stores, dealing with the locals in your average neighborhoods. Do that, and then you will have a much clearer idea if you do want to move here.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:39 AM

107 posts, read 366,512 times
Miami, LA, NYC, SF are for people who have dreams.

Raleigh is for people who have given up on their dreams.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,633,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post

Actually, I moved to Raleigh from Miami after living there my whole life in order to pursue my dreams, and I think that is why many other people have been moving there. Miami (and other higher cost of living locations) financially squeezes the dreams out of its middle class, so they can dream all they want there, but never actually achieve them. They are trapped in the equivalent of a hamster wheel trying to keep their heads above the cost of living tide on wages that do not keep up because they are being paid in sunshine. I know this concept might be difficult to understand for anyone who has retired early and lives on South Beach.

Other posters have actually contributed some very lucid advice to the OP, who hasn't actually seemed to come back to this thread, by the way. Spend some time in Miami doing what you would do if you lived there, not what you would do on vacation there. Be sure to research business expenses, as well as living expenses for your employees (don't forget things like auto insurance and health insurance) and determine if you will be able to pay them enough to have an equivalent lifestyle to what they currently have.

Miami is the right place for some people and not others, and spending non-vacation time there is the only way to find out. I would think it would be a tight squeeze financially for a small business, but I do not know enough about the OPs business to really make that call, only he can.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,849,407 times
Quote:

Even I will admit that couldn't be further from the truth. Raleigh is one of those places you go to because your dreams have to start somewhere in reality.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:16 PM

107 posts, read 366,512 times
I admit I am biased. I grew up in a suburban wasteland in the midwest. Subdivisions with rows of cookie cutter houses. Ugly strip malls everywhere. No ethnic or cultural diversity. Ignorance and closed-mindedness. You guys can have it. I'll pay the bigger mortgage and cut back in other ways. And I'll have my sanity.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:21 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,260,726 times
Quote:
I admit I am biased. I grew up in a suburban wasteland in the midwest. Subdivisions with rows of cookie cutter houses. Ugly strip malls everywhere. No ethnic or cultural diversity. Ignorance and closed-mindedness. You guys can have it. I'll pay the bigger mortgage and cut back in other ways. And I'll have my sanity.
I grew up in a similar environment (also Midwest), but Raleigh, and the Triangle area in general, bears little resemblance. Sure, there are pockets of boring suburban sprawl, but there are also areas that are very, very different. Like where I live . As I write this, I look out my office window and see a bus stop where people can take free, clean buses around town. I also see a horse farm. Tell me, how many places in the world have that in one spot? This morning I went to the local co-op grocery store, a fabulous place with an amazing bakery - frequented by university students, retired hippies, Hispanic immigrants, a few southern good ole boys, militant lesbians, a few standard issue white American suburbanite types, basically, everybody. Lots of diversity here.

I understand very well the appeal of Miami, but it's quite wrong to say that only the big cities that you mention offer an escape from the boring monotony of American suburbia.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:37 PM

11 posts, read 21,547 times
"Miami is truely and international destination no question (and I am not from Miami so have no biased)."

huh?

Old 04-12-2008, 02:39 PM

"if you can deal with lots of traffic, poor customer service, lack of civility in general, high crime, lack of common courtesy, Hispanics discriminating against anglos, in general many teens with little or no manners, as a trade off for a great night life and gorgeous women, then by all means come to Miami."

BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER! anyone with any sense at all knows there is no comparison. i've lived in both areas, and there is NO comparison.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Default omg!

Quote:

stay right there in miami buddy living those dreams. funny thing is most white people have left miami, and consider it hell, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami