U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Florida
7,811 posts, read 3,667,521 times
Reputation: 9458

Advertisements

City of Miami :

Land Area : 35.68 Square miles (92.4 km2)
2010 Census : 399,457
2014 Estimate : 430,332
% Change since 2010 : +7.72%
Numeric Change since 2010 : +30,824 New residents

2010 Average Density per Square Mile : 11,195 people per Square mile
2014 Average Density per Square Mile : 12,061 people per Square mile
Numeric average Increase since 2010 per people Square Mile : +866 in 4 years

Miami continues to densify with 15 towers over 500+ feet condo towers currently under construction.

Source : Census population estimates for each U.S. city, county and state (database) | cleveland.com
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
4 posts, read 4,167 times
Reputation: 10
It looks like Miami has grown expeditiously in the past 30 years which I think is interesting.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 12:23 AM
 
471 posts, read 513,370 times
Reputation: 390
Thank god all my family members own real estate. Nowadays it is nearly impossible to buy a real estate property that is not overpriced.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 01:12 AM
 
823 posts, read 947,738 times
Reputation: 886
12,061 people per Square mile makes my brain explode.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,367,339 times
Reputation: 1018
Great news.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 10:08 PM
 
400 posts, read 421,294 times
Reputation: 267
Although the Census applies, obviously, to the whole area of City of Miami, the population density per square mile does not apply by simply dividing the total population by the area.
I am almost sure the density is much higher East of the I-95 and less dense West of it. So a square mile in Downtown is probably way higher than 12,000 people.
I am relatively new in this City (moved in permanently in July 2014) and have read as much as I can about the area. Yes it has grown expeditiously enough to be called The Magic City for that reason.
And if You explore West of the I-95 the multi-family buildings are sporadic, many single family detached, and yes vacant lots and what seems abandoned properties; not dense at all.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Florida
7,811 posts, read 3,667,521 times
Reputation: 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
Although the Census applies, obviously, to the whole area of City of Miami, the population density per square mile does not apply by simply dividing the total population by the area.
I am almost sure the density is much higher East of the I-95 and less dense West of it. So a square mile in Downtown is probably way higher than 12,000 people.
I am relatively new in this City (moved in permanently in July 2014) and have read as much as I can about the area. Yes it has grown expeditiously enough to be called The Magic City for that reason.
And if You explore West of the I-95 the multi-family buildings are sporadic, many single family detached, and yes vacant lots and what seems abandoned properties; not dense at all.
True that it's an average density of 12,000 per sq./mile & is spread across the entire city. I came across a statistic that says the 3.8 square mile area that compromises Downtown (includes Brickell, Omni & Edgewater districts also) has a population of 80,750 residents as of 2014. This gives that area a Average density of 21,250 people per sq./mile which sounds plausible & if true the Downtown area would roughly contain about 20% of the city's population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Miami
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Miami Springs, Florida
227 posts, read 373,172 times
Reputation: 140
I see more non-hispanic whites now in the city, which is nice
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Florida
7,811 posts, read 3,667,521 times
Reputation: 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post
I see more non-hispanic whites now in the city, which is nice
I'm not sure how to interpret your comment as discriminatory or not. Either way a lot of young college educated professional Millennials from outside of the Miami/ Florida area are moving into downtown & Brickell for jobs. Just go visit Wynwood and see how it has changed over the past decade too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Miami Springs, Florida
227 posts, read 373,172 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I'm not sure how to interpret your comment as discriminatory or not. Either way a lot of young college educated professional Millennials from outside of the Miami/ Florida area are moving into downtown & Brickell for jobs. Just go visit Wynwood and see how it has changed over the past decade too.
I had no intention of discriminating anyone. Having so few white people around (15% in the county and 10% in the city) is good to bring more from other states.

It would be nice if more asians and blacks came too. Miami is one of the least diverse cities in the whole nation.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top