U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 AM

8,377 posts, read 19,850,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

I was in Atlanta and the traffic was not that bad, the trains were an excellent alternative and it was very affordable and nice weather.
You are right. I seriously considered a move to Atlanta in the past. I spent a week. I rode in the carpool lane on I-85 as a passenger, saw all the nice intown neighborhoods, the glitz in Buckhead, Lenox Square Mall etc. People seemed friendlier than South FL for sure. Then I spent a month there (company funded, they really wanted me up there) and I said no after all of the maddening traffic, talking to some transplanted locals, watching the news (Way worse than here), experiencing the stifling hot weather without the breeze, dirty downtown area, looking at the smog over the skyline while sitting in stop-dead traffic at 1 in the afternoon on a saturday, the miles and miles of cookie cutter sprawl (not that we don't have that, but they make it easier on the eyes here) and construction. You saw Atlanta as a visitor, I saw Atlanta as a one week visit and thought it was decent. Stayed for a month and said NO WAY! I even had stuff stolen out of my car (although it was unlocked, so I was pretty stupid).

That being said, if I stayed here for a month, the issues would probably seem like almost nothing. The worst thing I would probably see is the bottleneck between the Turnpike and S.R.7 on 595 during rush hour. The "skyline" is crystal clear all the way out from Weston on the 75-595 interchange. The 90 degree heat wouldn't be that bad because of the breeze. I might enjoy dining at a nice restaurant on Las Olas and get back to my hotel in Weston or Plantation, and probably won't get stuck in traffic on the way back. I won't see as much visible poverty (believe it or not). People seem on the plastic side and definitely impatient/stressed, but aren't all that bad. The quality of life issues here are less tangible (taxes/cost of living) or come out at you out of nowhere (hurricanes).

South Florida (outside of Dade County, generally speaking) is psychically a fairly pleasant place to live for it's size. The issues here are less tangible.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-21-2008 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 AM

109 posts, read 310,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Lack of affordability: Salaries here haven't kept up with the cost of living (closely tied in with your point about taxes and insurance). This might not be a problem if you're a corporate CEO or self-employed. But if you're a typical wage earner who's already getting "paid in sunshine," the usual 3 percent annual raise doesn't cut it -- assuming you get a raise at all. Also, many of these cost-of-living increases have been quite sudden rather than slow and gradual -- for instance, homeowners insurance for many people has quadrupled or quintupled since 2004.
I suspect we are seeing the signs of change in the affordability area due to the factors that you stated. Additionally, there is no way Miami will be able to increase the amount of corporate presence with home costs so high (my apologies to any sellers who are getting caught up in the wash). Also taxes will have to be eased as values decline, inventory increases and growth slows. Insurance prices are another issue, but I don't really have an idea that could be implemented statewide that wouldn't result in an exodus of insurers in Florida.

Quote:
Family-unfriendliness: See above. If you've got even one child, making it here on less than $100,000 a year is a daunting task. Plus, the public schools stink. Good areas for families do exist, but you'll pay a premium to live in them.
There are a number of areas in Miami that are currently seeing a transformation. Doesn't it stand to reason that there are opportunities to improve this situation?

Quote:
Crime, rudeness: I put these in with traffic as issues in every major metro area, not just South Florida. Still, you will be forced to deal with them.
I agree entirely.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Another realtor/tourist who doesn't live here...and does not "see" the problems.
Interesting. Does this happen alot?

Quote:
People's beef are evident in their posts. Visiting and living here, without having an agenda, are two totally different things.
Not really, every visit I've had I make it a point to learn as much about the city as possible. Not just the areas of town, but the social and political climate as well. I've had some good teachers, native Miamians and individuals that have lived in the city for 40-50 years. So for me both agendas are the same, to enjoy where I live and do business.

Quote:
I was in Atlanta and the traffic was not that bad, the trains were an excellent alternative and it was very affordable and nice weather. My point is, I was a tourist....just as you were. You only see what you want to see, and you will "get" the posters who have a beef as you say, once you live here.
Thats an interesting observation, I don't think I've ever had anyone tell me the traffic here is not that bad. This includes people from NY, LA, Baltimore/DC and Boston. Atlanta certainly has Miami beat on affordability, theres no question about that.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM

2,738 posts, read 5,510,795 times
Yup, I think my tourist perpective on Atlanta will help you understand why it is harder to digest your perspective as a tourist/real estate agent on Miami. Living here and visiting are two different things.

Moderator cut: cut

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-21-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 03:42 PM

439 posts, read 1,021,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
You are right. I seriously considered a move to Atlanta in the past. I spent a week. I rode in the carpool lane on I-85 as a passenger, saw all the nice intown neighborhoods, the glitz in Buckhead, Lenox Square Mall etc. People seemed friendlier than South FL for sure. Then I spent a month there (company funded, they really wanted me up there) and I said no after all of the maddening traffic, talking to some transplanted locals, watching the news (Way worse than here), experiencing the stifling hot weather without the breeze, dirty downtown area, looking at the smog over the skyline while sitting in stop-dead traffic at 1 in the afternoon on a saturday, the miles and miles of cookie cutter sprawl (not that we don't have that, but they make it easier on the eyes here) and construction. You saw Atlanta as a visitor, I saw Atlanta as a one week visit and thought it was decent. Stayed for a month and said NO WAY! I even had stuff stolen out of my car (although it was unlocked, so I was pretty stupid).

That being said, if I stayed here for a month, the issues would probably seem like almost nothing. The worst thing I would probably see is the bottleneck between the Turnpike and S.R.7 on 595 during rush hour. The "skyline" is crystal clear all the way out from Weston on the 75-595 interchange. The 90 degree heat wouldn't be that bad because of the breeze. I might enjoy dining at a nice restaurant on Las Olas and get back to my hotel in Weston or Plantation, and probably won't get stuck in traffic on the way back. I won't see as much visible poverty (believe it or not). People seem on the plastic side and definitely impatient/stressed, but aren't all that bad. The quality of life issues here are less tangible (taxes/cost of living) or come out at you out of nowhere (hurricanes).

South Florida (outside of Dade County, generally speaking) is psychically a fairly pleasant place to live for it's size. The issues here are less tangible.

Good post and right on target ... I am in Atlanta 3- 4 times a year and yes there are some lovely areas just as there are in South Florida but traffic is much , much worse than in South Florida ( Chelito123 ) is dead wrong and I regularly agree with his posts . Crime in the metro Atlanta area is just as bad as South Florida , you have a growing illegal immigration problem that I have mentioned before several times , you have racial tensions black / white that are worse than in South Florida , the cost of living is not that much less expensive once you factor the state income tax and series of other "hidden " little taxes that you are hit with when you purchase things ... sprawl is horrible , air quality is terrible almost as bad as Los Angeles or Houston , yeah you have trendy areas in Buckhead and Midtown but you have that in South Florida as well .... South Beach , Coral Gables , Las Olas , Palm Beach , etc , etc .... and did I mention the schools are even rated lower than in Florida ?

I would say that your quality of life would not be much better than anywhere in South Florida ... only the slightly friendlier people and less use of Spanish everywhere is better than in South Florida ...... man we have to give this topic a rest ... this is at least the fourth time I have seem these inane South Florida vs Atlanta forums .

Last edited by Musclehead; 01-21-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 19,850,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
and did I mention the schools are even rated lower than in Florida ?
Actually, Cobb County and Alpharetta has some schools that exceed anything down here. Other than that, yes, and it's the same asinine school overcrowding and safety issues.

Also, the drivers, very rude, it would surprise a visitor. They are actually ruder than here. Down here, the drivers are morons who hog up the left lane to do 45 miles per hour and think the right lane is the passing lane. I haven't really got any bird action though. Think "oblivious".

Old 01-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Yup, I think my tourist perpective on Atlanta will help you understand why it is harder to digest your perspective as a tourist/real estate agent on Miami. Living here and visiting are two different things.
I understand where you are coming from, but the truth is it only bolstered my opinion of Miami. The city has HUGE potential and appears to slowly be moving in the right direction (the housing correction will help that, trust me). As I've said, I've lived in ATL, BOS, LA, and VA. They all have their shortcomings. I'm just trying to get my arms around the root of the problem as seen by natives.

Quote:
And yes, we do have many tourists and real estate agents who come on here and write about how they love Miami....it is a great place etc...but then again, that is the agenda, how can you sell a place if you don't airbrush the problems.
Personally, I don't believe in glossing over issues, granted I'm restricted by law from making certain statements, but the truth always comes out as far as I'm concerned. As for an "agenda", my only agenda is to find where there are opportunities for myself and my clients, whether they be in established areas, blighted ones or transitional areas.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-21-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 10:47 AM

79 posts, read 296,106 times
JayRockTeam, really think hard before moving to Miami. I visited too before I came here and loved it. I thought it would be perfect for me. I speak Spanish fluently. Now I can't wait to move back to Atlanta. Miami is more expensive, people are rude, and traffic for me has been worse than Atlanta. Miami drivers are reckless. Many times I don't even want to leave because of the bad drivers. For me as a young professional, Atlanta is much more accomodating. If you come to Miami, I hope you like it. But for me...I'm out!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:57 PM

6,655 posts, read 10,361,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRockTeam View Post
And I have to say, some of the nasty things people have been saying about the people there is off base. I made it a point to pay attention to the people and the kind of service I got and I just don't see it.

I've been going more often recently on business at the Ft. Lauderdale brokerage, but this time was mainly for fun. Everybody was really laid back and friendly to me. I received pretty much great service everywhere I went. The driving was pretty much a PITB, however I had a good time as usual.

So whats folks' real beef with Miami?
soooo you visited Miami once and now you have it all figured out eh?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:31 PM

387 posts, read 1,071,180 times
Miami/South Florida has one thing Atlanta will never, ever have or be able to make up for: the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami