Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:12 PM

109 posts, read 485,480 times

Advertisements

And I have to say, some of the nasty things people have been saying about the people there is off base. I made it a point to pay attention to the people and the kind of service I got and I just don't see it.

I've been going more often recently on business at the Ft. Lauderdale brokerage, but this time was mainly for fun. Everybody was really laid back and friendly to me. I received pretty much great service everywhere I went. The driving was pretty much a PITB, however I had a good time as usual.

So whats folks' real beef with Miami?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,227 times
Living there... On a vacation is a different ball game.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Living there... On a vacation is a different ball game.
I'll be living there (part time) later this year. So, what is your beef with the city?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:02 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Just live here 20-30 years. You will figure it out!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Just live here 20-30 years. You will figure it out!
I don't think I'd live anywhere for 20-30 years.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 AM

Yes, reading this forum you will understand whats frustrating about living here. It of course depends on your outlook and life. If you have a ton of dough, and dont have to work, or work a 'traditional job', well the rush hours wont bother you (all 8 hours of rush hour), you speak spanish, that wont bother you either, you have a ton of dough, the 10k in taxes and ins wont bother you. One size doesnt fit all. For alot of us, the things have added up into an equation that doesnt work. But we say this and 10 other peopole assure us, we have a miserable existance. I can assure you I dont, but it gets old.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Yes, reading this forum you will understand whats frustrating about living here. It of course depends on your outlook and life. If you have a ton of dough, and dont have to work, or work a 'traditional job', well the rush hours wont bother you (all 8 hours of rush hour), you speak spanish, that wont bother you either, you have a ton of dough, the 10k in taxes and ins wont bother you. One size doesnt fit all. For alot of us, the things have added up into an equation that doesnt work. But we say this and 10 other peopole assure us, we have a miserable existance. I can assure you I dont, but it gets old.
I really want to know what the real issue is, so I'm not trolling here.

1. Commute - I currently make residence in Atlanta where "rush hour" starts at 6 am and doesn't end until 9.30am. So all things being equal I expect cross town travel not to be fun anyway.

3. Language - I grew up in L.A. and played sports with alot of spanish speakers in my younger years so I know a little. I've been doing self study as well to get better. I've always liked the idea of speaking a second or a third language.

4. Taxes and Insurance - Agreed these things are out of control, but I hope to be engaged in that conversation during my time there. Because there has to be a balance between the burden to the public and fiscal responsibility.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,176 times
Your three points are right on target as far as major gripes with the area, but here are a few more common themes:

Lack of affordability: Salaries here haven't kept up with the cost of living (closely tied in with your point about taxes and insurance). This might not be a problem if you're a corporate CEO or self-employed. But if you're a typical wage earner who's already getting "paid in sunshine," the usual 3 percent annual raise doesn't cut it -- assuming you get a raise at all. Also, many of these cost-of-living increases have been quite sudden rather than slow and gradual -- for instance, homeowners insurance for many people has quadrupled or quintupled since 2004.

Family-unfriendliness: See above. If you've got even one child, making it here on less than $100,000 a year is a daunting task. Plus, the public schools stink. Good areas for families do exist, but you'll pay a premium to live in them.

Weather: A matter of personal preference. There's at least six months (sometimes more) of high temperatures in the upper 80s-low 90s, and that bothers a few folks. Doesn't bother me that much until October, when you can't wait for that first cold front to pass through. Also, don't forget the hurricane threat.

Crime, rudeness: I put these in with traffic as issues in every major metro area, not just South Florida. Still, you will be forced to deal with them.

Overall congestion: 5.5 million people are crammed into an area that's approximately 75 miles long and 15 miles wide, with a lot of high-density development and without much green space. Combine the claustrophic feel with some of the area's other issues and you wind up with a lot of stressed, frazzled people.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 01-21-2008 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Another realtor/tourist who doesn't live here...and does not "see" the problems.

People's beef are evident in their posts. Visiting and living here, without having an agenda, are two totally different things.

I was in Atlanta and the traffic was not that bad, the trains were an excellent alternative and it was very affordable and nice weather. My point is, I was a tourist....just as you were. You only see what you want to see, and you will "get" the posters who have a beef as you say, once you live here.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:25 AM

All of the above is what I see. I dont want it to sound like Im the only one, so ill let others fill in. And the guy above that filled in (chisox, which i agree with), he lives in Fort Laud. I escape to Ft. Laud on the weekends and still consider it pretty nice, compared to Miami. They have the problems we have, but if they are seeing these things there as problems, I can assure you it's MUCH more prevelent here. I'm not, and have never told anyone, not to come here. This place works for some people. You need to figure out if it works for you. It is increasingly difficult to have a plan for the future, and raise a family here. If you are single guy with good finances and these things arent a big deal, or the sunshine, or party atmosphere will make up for it, it may be just what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami