U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 11:55 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,716,091 times

Advertisements

Miami roads are decent compared to cities like NYC. Traffic isn't as bad as LA. Unless u stay by the beach and drive a car there
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 03:39 PM

5,174 posts, read 4,676,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Believe it or not, there are people in this world who enjoy driving and enjoy the thrill of driving a challenging road. There is a huge industry of aftermarket suppliers who cater to these types of people and there are events all across the USA for these types of people to gather and satisfy their driving itch. Those are the people who care about rankings like this. In fact, this weekend, there's an event in North Carolina that I was hoping to attend, but couldn't get off work, where around 100 drivers will do nothing but drive the Tail of the Dragon for 3 days. (Tail of the Dragon is a famous challenging driving road, in case you were wondering)
Like the two other posters stated who cares ? Miami isn't going to grow mountains anytime soon, so we still delight in the clean air this city offers that most big cities don't and if you want challenges go to Europe and drive the Autobahn mann

Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,144,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
Miami roads are decent compared to cities like NYC. Traffic isn't as bad as LA. Unless u stay by the beach and drive a car there
Its not the roads that are bad down here, its the drivers

Old 08-21-2015, 11:07 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,842,118 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, there are people in this world who enjoy driving and enjoy the thrill of driving a challenging road. There is a huge industry of aftermarket suppliers who cater to these types of people and there are events all across the USA for these types of people to gather and satisfy their driving itch. Those are the people who care about rankings like this. In fact, this weekend, there's an event in North Carolina that I was hoping to attend, but couldn't get off work, where around 100 drivers will do nothing but drive the Tail of the Dragon for 3 days. (Tail of the Dragon is a famous challenging driving road, in case you were wondering)
I drove that Tail of the Dragon and I have no plans to take it again.I've driven in other mountainous roads before like in Lake Tahoe but that Tail of the Dragon scared the living **** out of me.First of all it's not like those mountain roads I drove out west,it's narrow and tight,and what is it,318 curves over 11 miles so you can only go like 10-15 mph so it takes forever to get out of there and then you have to deal with the 18 wheelers hauling 100 foot tall trees coming around the blind curves ready to take you out and since the road is only a few feet away from a drop off of several thousand feet if you go over nobody will hear from you ever again.Then you also had the motorcycles passing people in those blind curves and doing like 40+mph when everyone else is doing 15mph,in one word Insane!!Like I said I've driven enough hilly and mountain areas and I have no problem with most of them but that one I would avoid.As far as the roads in Miami,they're fine,it's the people behind the cars that are the problem,the combination of driving styles from passive to aggressive to people lost or on their phones and it's always an adventure to just go a few miles.The worst roads I've driven were in Boston,the amount of potholes and general bumpiness was beyond normal.The nicest stretch of expressway I've driven was the National Pike (I-70)through Maryland on the way to Baltimore.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:09 PM

254 posts, read 143,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Agreed. This has to be one of the stupidest rankings I've ever heard.
Well, you two obviously care, since you took the time to comment on it =)

Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 PM

2,649 posts, read 5,020,135 times
To the OP,

This is not surprising. Miami has held the crown for years as one of the worse places to drive, not because of bad roads, but horrible drivers.

Quote:
Having lived in San Diego for 14 years before moving here, good driving roads are one of the things I miss the most. I own a sports/race car that I used to take up into the mountain roads of SD county to keep my driving skill level up to where I need it for racing. On a weekday, you could pretty much drive those roads without ever seeing a stoplight or any traffic to speak of. You've got to go a long way from Miami to find roads like this...

The few roads around here with relatively light traffic are still straight and flat. The only challenge in driving those roads is staying awake.
So true. I don't miss the boring and long straight roads of South Florida. I love winding roads in NC, TN and GA. No roads down there to rival what California and some Southern roads have in terms of fun (read NC, SC, TN, GA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboyforlife100 View Post
Why do you guys complain about the traffic in Miami as if it is anything different from any other large metro area? You are living in a major US city which is a big tourist destination spot, gateway of latin america, and in the 5th largest metro region in the US, you expect there to be no traffic? If so, you're crazy. If you can't tolerate traffic then you shouldn't be living in a densely populated area. Miami traffic is no different than Houston or Chicago or anywhere else similar. Traffic will always exist mo matter what you do, doesn't matter how many roads you build, just get over it and stop complaining about it.

Also in regards to the San Diego guy, well obviously it's not going to have empty roads, you are comparing a mountainous region to a flat one.
Agreed. South Florida has smooth roads, but boring. Nothing scenic either, unless you're on A1A by the beach (Ft. Lauderdale heading north). Traffic goes hand in hand with big cities. No way around it. No need to complain.

Quote:
OMG. I did Tail of The Dragon a few years ago in my then, Honda S2K. Plenty of fun. I'm looking forward to another run in 2 months. The weather is nicer, leaves change colors, just great! I want to get a BRZ/FRS and open up on these roads very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
True. (Florida ranks 3rd in the nation for best roads after Georgia and Alabama). But still ranks #1 as the worse drivers in the nation. People are rude and have no etiquette or class on and off the road. There are exceptions though.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
To the OP,

This is not surprising. Miami has held the crown for years as one of the worse places to drive, not because of bad roads, but horrible drivers.

So true. I don't miss the boring and long straight roads of South Florida. I love winding roads in NC, TN and GA. No roads down there to rival what California and some Southern roads have in terms of fun (read NC, SC, TN, GA).

Agreed. South Florida has smooth roads, but boring. Nothing scenic either, unless you're on A1A by the beach (Ft. Lauderdale heading north). Traffic goes hand in hand with big cities. No way around it. No need to complain.

OMG. I did Tail of The Dragon a few years ago in my then, Honda S2K. Plenty of fun. I'm looking forward to another run in 2 months. The weather is nicer, leaves change colors, just great! I want to get a BRZ/FRS and open up on these roads very soon.

True. (Florida ranks 3rd in the nation for best roads after Georgia and Alabama). But still ranks #1 as the worse drivers in the nation. People are rude and have no etiquette or class on and off the road. There are exceptions though.

Yea, this city is boring looking, the scenery is just not there, yea right. I guess it is one of the most popular tourist destination because it is boring, nothing to look at out your window, yea right.

You should know having had lived in Miami that it is on the grid quadrant system as why there are a plethora of straight roads. I like the clean air and beautiful waters which you don't find in NYC, outside of Manhattan , I find the other boroughs to be drab.

As far as bad drivers that has to go the cab drivers as they are some of the worst at least when I was there.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=5478

Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yea, this city is boring looking, the scenery is just not there, yea right. I guess it is one of the most popular tourist destination because it is boring, nothing to look at out your window, yea right.

You should know having had lived in Miami that it is on the grid quadrant system as why there are a plethora of straight roads. I like the clean air and beautiful waters which you don't find in NYC, outside of Manhattan , I find the other boroughs to be drab.

As far as bad drivers that has to go the cab drivers as they are some of the worst at least when I was there.

SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - Downtown Miami Pictures

Flat lands or terra cota homes is really nice to look at all day? I think not.
Not counting the nice houses of Miami's ghettos and low income areas (Hialeah, NMB, Carol City, Perrine, Medley to name a few).. Let's be real.

Miami's beauty is limited to the beaches and the multi-million dollar homes that surround them. Nothing else. You have, the beach on the east, a bunch of strips of malls/shopping plazas, suburbs that look too much alike in the middle, and swamps out west. WOW...That's supposed to be impressive?

Not to many people. Especially after visiting many places to compare.

Try mountains, or dare I say hills, city life (show me an area in Miami that looks as nice as Mid town Manhattan, Buckhead/VA- Highlands (Atlanta), Georgetown or Dupont Circle (DC) Mid Town (Atlanta), Asheville (NC), Pacific Coast Hwy, California. You can't. The most you can brag about is South Beach and maybe Brickell. I give you the small patches in Coral Gables and the Grove. What else?

Downtown Miami has no soul after 5pm. It has a nice skyline, but it's a dead zone. Get a grip.

I'm sure you're not going to tell me Kendall is gorgeous, or Opa Locka, or Hialeah.....

You want to see beautiful waters? Go on the West coast of Florida. Then we can talk. South Beach can't hold a candle to that area. I'm not saying South Beach is ugly, but please, it's not the best.

Antigua, Jamaica, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, and Barbados have beaches that make South Beach look like Brighton Beach in NY (That's a joke of a beach itself). Travel more then you can talk.

I know you are trying to defend Miami and proud of it, but there's not much to defend. Again, you're on the defensive and have to prove Miami to people. I don't. Been there, done that. I don't have an issue with you liking Miami, but don't come at me for disliking it. I made the best move, by leaving it. Coming to this forum and expressing my thoughts is ok. That's what forums are for. We can agree to disagree. Cool?

As bad as cab drivers are in NY, they still rate higher than Miami drivers. So...........

Old 08-24-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Flat lands or terra cota homes is really nice to look at all day? I think not.
Not counting the nice houses of Miami's ghettos and low income areas (Hialeah, NMB, Carol City, Perrine, Medley to name a few).. Let's be real.

Miami's beauty is limited to the beaches and the multi-million dollar homes that surround them. Nothing else. You have, the beach on the east, a bunch of strips of malls/shopping plazas, suburbs that look too much alike in the middle, and swamps out west. WOW...That's supposed to be impressive?

Not to many people. Especially after visiting many places to compare.

Try mountains, or dare I say hills, city life (show me an area in Miami that looks as nice as Mid town Manhattan, Buckhead/VA- Highlands (Atlanta), Georgetown or Dupont Circle (DC) Mid Town (Atlanta), Asheville (NC), Pacific Coast Hwy, California. You can't. The most you can brag about is South Beach and maybe Brickell. I give you the small patches in Coral Gables and the Grove. What else?

Downtown Miami has no soul after 5pm. It has a nice skyline, but it's a dead zone. Get a grip.

I'm sure you're not going to tell me Kendall is gorgeous, or Opa Locka, or Hialeah.....

You want to see beautiful waters? Go on the West coast of Florida. Then we can talk. South Beach can't hold a candle to that area. I'm not saying South Beach is ugly, but please, it's not the best.

Antigua, Jamaica, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, and Barbados have beaches that make South Beach look like Brighton Beach in NY (That's a joke of a beach itself). Travel more then you can talk.

I know you are trying to defend Miami and proud of it, but there's not much to defend. Again, you're on the defensive and have to prove Miami to people. I don't. Been there, done that. I don't have an issue with you liking Miami, but don't come at me for disliking it. I made the best move, by leaving it. Coming to this forum and expressing my thoughts is ok. That's what forums are for. We can agree to disagree. Cool?

As bad as cab drivers are in NY, they still rate higher than Miami drivers. So...........
No sense in talking to defensive rude fools, oh well you gave me a good laugh for the night. I hope you like the landlocked City of Atlanta, I have lived there also it has nice areas but love the beautiful waters of Biscayne Bay and Atlantic Ocean as shown by the picture in prior post. Good night!!!!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
No sense in talking to defensive rude fools, oh well you gave me a good laugh for the night. I hope you like the landlocked City of Atlanta, I have lived there also it has nice areas but love the beautiful waters of Biscayne Bay and Atlantic Ocean as shown by the picture in prior post. Good night!!!!

Good riddance!! Miami suits you, good for you. Enjoy the beach and Biscayne etc, the rude drivers, high insurance rates, fraud on all levels, low pay, the extreme heat and rainy summers. If it makes you happy, by all means enjoy it (and I mean it).

I'll do the same on my end. I'd rather be land locked thousands of feet above sea level, than having to deal with hurricanes, floods and the sea level you're at.

Back to the topic. It was about the horrible drivers Miami has, and how the NYC cabbies get a better rep than them. Laughing my tail off.

Please go relax. You take things too seriously, and no good rebuttals to boot. It must be the salty air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami