U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:48 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,881,858 times

Advertisements

Have you ever tried Kendall Drive? No school zones I don't think and 4 lanes. I have no idea if it would be better since I don't ever do a morning commute. Just wondering... Killian also has no school zones but that would be an ever bigger out of your was distance. Starting work at 10 would take off a huge amount of time from your commute. I had a couple of late starts on jury duty and commute time was half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM

4,748 posts, read 7,277,309 times
I'm very familiar with 72nd st...

If you work at 10 just get out of your house at 9 as traffic is bearable and sometimes a breeze after 9. Better spend the early mornings relaxed at home than in traffic. You will still get there at 10, or even earlier than 10, if you leave at 9 am.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,881,858 times
Work probably starts 8:30-9 which is what's causing this problem. Starting at 10 would solve it, but most workplaces are backwards and don't do staggered start times or telecommuting. They're stuck in the old days where the population was much smaller so the traffic wasn't insane. There are low cost/no cost solutions but it's just easier to keep the status quo and put everyone on the road at the same time.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:19 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,030,564 times
I leave the house at 6:30am and drive less than 6 miles down kendall and it usually takes me about 20 minutes. The way I have learned to deal with it is to just not be in a hurry. I used to stress out about it and now I either find something on the radio to distract me or use the time for quiet reflection. I do not have to be at work actually until 8am but I enjoy getting to work early so I can get a full day's work in before everyone else comes in and ruins my day. I take side streets home sometimes because it is quicker but again you have to decide to take the stress out of it.

Imagine you're watching T.V. for an hour and sitting there cursing at the T.V. because the show does not get to the end quick enough. You would think that is stupid. I used to curse when the commercials come on and my wife complained that I channel surfed too much. It was because I wasn't being patient. Now when the commercial comes on I go to the bathroom or pop some popcorn. The point is to stop killing yourself on the way to work. It sets a negative tone for the rest of your day.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:53 AM

6,578 posts, read 9,629,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Strange how when your condo was built in the 1980's there was never a traffic problem. Look at the mess they have created in West Miami along 67 avenue with the suburban stackers. They need to start demolishing condos and replace them with 1 acre homes.

Seriously they need to get rid of the 15 mph school zones.
Huh?

There are no 15mph school zones on 67th Ave in West Miami. The main traffic issue there is the result of construction that took away a lane; most recently, for a new apartment complex.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 21,521,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Huh?

There are no 15mph school zones on 67th Ave in West Miami. The main traffic issue there is the result of construction that took away a lane; most recently, for a new apartment complex.
And look, they are building another one where the Stampede bar was. In older neighborhoods they were smart enough to never build a school on a main road. I had a little fun smacking into the temporary fence the put up last week.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM

588 posts, read 669,538 times
Quote:
Huh?

There is one -- on 67th Ave and Sunset.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:57 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,365,743 times
When I lived in Aventura, I remember that every possible route to I-95 had school zones, and traffic would often back up on to US1, making the intersections there quite chaotic. But even this was only adding around 10-15 minutes to my commute. I thought this was pretty bad, but it sounds like the situation in parts of Kendall is much worse!

Perhaps elementary schools need to start later so that the school starts at 9:30 and the zones start after 8:45 or something? If we can't convince employers to stagger their work starting times, perhaps we can "stagger" schools? It may affect parents who drop of their children on the way to work, though. "Before school care" in addition to after school care? Hmmm....not sure about the implications of this since I don't have children yet.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 PM

1,910 posts, read 1,778,613 times
Quote:
Huh?

Yes on 67th on suNset drive proper there is a elementary school. I might be confuse but there is also one between sunset and miller on 67th ave. with a concrete football man as a mascot.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:19 PM

5 posts, read 3,094 times
Imagine traveling from Perrine, to Doral in rush hour traffic. Wake up at 5:45 so you can be there at 8:00. I did this for years when I worked at Esserman International. Do any of you remember the clusterF that would form back when automobile emissions testing was in place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami