Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:35 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,463 times

Advertisements

You could try Miller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 08:58 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
You could try Miller
The one time I tried Miller, I had a horribly long drive -- it still stands as the single worst morning commute I've had since moving (an hour and 20 mins).

There are several schools on Miller as well, and it doesn't help that there are only 2 lanes.

At least there are no schools and 4 lanes on Kendall Drive, which is why I figured it'd be worth a try.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:39 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
What compels you to live all the way out on 137th Avenue and Sunset/Miller Drive? A house with a mortgage, kids in school?

Otherwise there are plenty of housing options near Sunset and 67th Avenue, even within walking distance.

True, a SFH will probably cost at least twice as much per square foot, and if that's what keeps you that far west I understand.

If not, did you ever consider a townhouse, condo or rental in the South Miami area?

Or find a job in your area?

Yes, Kendall Drive has four lanes and no schools, so indeed sometimes I take that in lieu of Sunset when on occasion I travel back and forth in that direction. I tried Miller once and it is littered with school zones, more than Sunset.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
That's why I suggested Kendall, more lanes, no schools. Lots of lights though so it depends how well timed they are. I've never done it so I have no idea how it would be, but it's definitely worth a try. I'm between Kendall and Killian so usually take Killian which is the least of all evils.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,463 times
I leave the house at least an hour before I have to get there. If you have ever commuted in the North East you would be used to it. What I might suggest is books on cds or a coffee shop near your work that you can stop and have a cup and read the paper. Leave by 6am, stop and take a break and then continue on to work. If you let it drive you crazy it will.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
What compels you to live all the way out on 137th Avenue and Sunset/Miller Drive? A house with a mortgage, kids in school?

Otherwise there are plenty of housing options near Sunset and 67th Avenue, even within walking distance.

True, a SFH will probably cost at least twice as much per square foot, and if that's what keeps you that far west I understand.

If not, did you ever consider a townhouse, condo or rental in the South Miami area?

Or find a job in your area?

Yes, Kendall Drive has four lanes and no schools, so indeed sometimes I take that in lieu of Sunset when on occasion I travel back and forth in that direction. I tried Miller once and it is littered with school zones, more than Sunset.
My wife and I bought a condo there at the end of last year and moved into it in February. It was an amazing deal, and we got everything we wanted (balcony, almost conpletely updated, pet friendly, washer/dryer, space, etc.)

We tried finding something in East Kendall/South Miami, but it seems we only had two extremes to choose from:
- Really old condos from the 60s whose units had gas stoves, no security, no washer/dryer, etc.
-The newer condos (e.g., downtown Dadeland) that cost an arm and a leg

In West Kendall, you get more bang for your buck at the expense of having to deal with the bad traffic. I accept that -- I am just trying to see if I can shave a little time off the commute somehow.

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 10-02-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 12:40 PM

By the way, I tested taking Kendall Drive to work at 7 a.m. this morning. It takes me about 40-42 mins to get to work at that time via Sunset. It took me 10 minutes longer via Kendall Drive, thanks in part to the staggering number of cars trying to get on the Turnpike, plus the traffic I got on 107th while trying to get back on Sunset. I guess Sunset remains my best bet, as long as I leave before 7.

I do get to work about an hour/an hour and 20 mins early. I just sit in my car reading a book.

What makes the commute aggravating is that even the afternoon drive is about 55 minutes. I am considering stopping by a nearby library or gym right after work just so I don't have to sit in traffic every single day.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:46 PM

A few coworkers who reside in West Kendall told me they can sometimes get here in 30 minutes if they leave at 8:30. The problem with that is that if there is an accident or unusual congestion at that time, you run the risk of getting to work late. I'm the type of person who hates getting the work late/feeling like I am behind schedule. I usually like to get to work a little early and relax in the car before I have to go in.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:34 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,432 times
I feel for you. I use to live off Killian dr and near the turnpike. Use to crawl to work in south miami area. Traffic was only better when I lived in biscayne park village near miami shores. Now in Tampa and don't experience that type of traffic..

Old 10-03-2015, 01:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times
Op hubby listens to NPR in the morning and doesn't really bother him since regardless of where we lived either in Olympia Hieghts (102 and miller) or in cutler bay it still takes him about an hour to get to work.

For the ride back home he goes to the gym in Downtown three times a week instead of being in traffic and it makes more sense.

This last week I had meetings around baptist Kendall that extended till 6pm or so and traffic heading back home was horrible so I opted to visit with my parents instead of dealing with south bound traffic. Next week I still have to deal with Kendall traffic at least for three more meetings so I work my plans accordingly for that area until traffic dies down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami