U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 01:20 PM

2,858 posts, read 1,273,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about, OP.
I actualy live in one of those types of houses. lol.

South FL in general has a lot of those types of houses...it's that spanish-tiled roof look with the stucco walls painted some type of beige or pink/orange, etc...with the red tiled roofs. ..."tuscan" if u will lol.

Dade definitely has the most of those types of houses, even the older homes are that style... it does give south FL a kind of spanish type feel to it. Southern California has a lot of those spanish hacienda styles homes too, with the red-tiled roofs and stucco.

I dont really know why it's so prevalent here tho, never really thought about it. I know when I go up north no houses look like the homes in south FL..
Even then, while very common in South Florida, its almost homogenous in Dade-County! I see more variety in Collier county, Broward county, Hillsborough county. The homes in Marco Island are beautiful. In Naples in general, I see more houses that pull off the Mediterranean style and still look really nice. But many don't in Miami. They look nice in upper middle class neighbourhoods but in lower middle class neighbourhoods, not so much. In other states, even the lower middle class neighbourhoods tend to look a bit nicer in terms of home styles. I lived in Abilene in a very general lower middle class area, blue collar type family place. The houses weren't anything special or all that beautiful, but they were nice enough in aesthetics. The colours were good, the styles were nice. There is definitely a lot of brick houses in Texas, and many vinyl siding homes. I almost never see that in Miami. Not a huge fan of the brick houses either, in terms of looks, but better than stucco!

The house I grew up in has that style, but its not really that bad looking. It used to be a church though, and then someone died from cancer gotten from asbestos in the 60s so that was a whole creepy thing in the past. When my parents bought it in 2001, they had changed it from a church to a house. There was a pipe organ when we went to check it out on the market lol The house needed a lot of updates though. It isn't an old home, but by Miami standards, kinda. It was built in 1940, and one of my favourite features was that it has an actual functioning fireplace. Though they sealed off the chimney flue by the time we bought it. (Shame, would have been nice to use it on the 3 chilly nights we got a year lol) My parents had a lot of changes made to it, to make it nice. What is your house like? There are definitely homes that work with the style and those that don't. My aunt's house is beautiful, has the style but its more subdued. It blends in more with California than Miami, but she lives in a really nice upper middle class neighbourhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 01:24 PM

5,179 posts, read 4,535,843 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beHWtXWSUcA

Enjoy all the orange roofs, hehe

Old 09-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-oh View Post
I know quite a few people born and raised in Miami who say y'all.
I know lots of people that say it too. Not as much as in Texas though. To be fair, I have been saying it more after living in Texas, just because you pick up mannerisms from people you talk to. And when I worked as a host in IHOP, I would let out a very friendly southern accent, without even thinking. Usually I only sound southern for a few words, like words a long "I" sound, or anything that ends with a "g" like "going" or "walking", the g gets dropped if I am talking casually. This was before living in Texas. Now in Texas, most of my friends have some kind of southern accent so my own speaking style sounds even more southern than it did before But I've always said things like "y'all", "fixin' too," and when I get sasseh, it's "boeh" not "boy." And I say "moun'ain" when a lot of people in Miami pronounce the T.

One thing I notice though is, many people who move to Texas, whether they are from California, Illinois or New Jersey, they might pick up a southern accent and southern dialect words like "y'all" even in only a year. I know two people from New Jersey that have done this, and at least two Californians. This used to happen in Florida, though now probably only happens in rural Florida. Florida has lost a lot of its southern heritage, but there's still people that say "y'all" even if they have neutral American accents.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:47 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,850,807 times
The problem isn't that there is Mediterranean, it's that there is so much of it. Miami can have other styles of homes without taking away from being Miami. It's not Mediterranean or tear down and build condos like Brazil. There are options. I live in a pocket of homes that has siding and front porches. Very much fits Miami as you can see older homes in the Grove like this and in the Keys. Drive down Davis Road and you'll see some new homes that have been built with the tin roofs, siding, front porches. Those homes are beautiful as well as the Mediterranean and mid-century homes. Miami also used to have Craftsman style homes. You don't see that anymore. Miami is a city of cookie-cutter, low imagination when it comes to neighborhoods. I'm sure because it's cheap for developers to just spit out the same homes over and over.

Badger, we did a photo shoot of my daughter in her Kiki cosplay from Kiki's Delivery Service and went to that village in the Gables. We needed someplace European looking and it was perfect. One of the photos was even displayed at the UM library during Japanese history month. There are other tiny pockets in the area of varying styles. Really beautiful!

Old 09-12-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Hey Miami isn't perfect city but still a gorgeous city, people who complain about designs of buildings and houses will complain probably that the color of the water of Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Oceans are drab they prefer brackish looking water. Miami is different, I wonder why they don't have red brick houses or buildings here, so maybe they will make you happy some day by razing all the Mediterranean style with stucco houses and supersede them with low, medium and high-rise condos which is a possibility and then take on the appearance of Sao Paulo, Brazil. There are a bunch of quibbling old people here, take your Geritol, you'll feel better.
I dunno what you're going off. Miami is beautiful, by the ocean. The ocean is beautiful and the skyline is too. But when you get inland its nothing special. The architecture is only nice in the rich parts and the tourist areas. There really isn't anything "gorgeous" about West Miami for example. Why would complaning about stucco houses mean I think the water is ugly? The water is a beautiful blue colour. That doesn't mean I am gonna think the houses are all beautiful just cuz the water is nice.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beHWtXWSUcA

Enjoy all the orange roofs, hehe
Where is that person flying from? When I flew in from Atlanta, we came over the Everglades, not the ocean lol Obviously flying from Europe or somewhere else overseas you have a different view. The houses by the ocean are nicer than inland.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
The problem isn't that there is Mediterranean, it's that there is so much of it. Miami can have other styles of homes without taking away from being Miami. It's not Mediterranean or tear down and build condos like Brazil. There are options. I live in a pocket of homes that has siding and front porches. Very much fits Miami as you can see older homes in the Grove like this and in the Keys. Drive down Davis Road and you'll see some new homes that have been built with the tin roofs, siding, front porches. Those homes are beautiful as well as the Mediterranean and mid-century homes. Miami also used to have Craftsman style homes. You don't see that anymore. Miami is a city of cookie-cutter, low imagination when it comes to neighborhoods. I'm sure because it's cheap for developers to just spit out the same homes over and over.

Badger, we did a photo shoot of my daughter in her Kiki cosplay from Kiki's Delivery Service and went to that village in the Gables. We needed someplace European looking and it was perfect. One of the photos was even displayed at the UM library during Japanese history month. There are other tiny pockets in the area of varying styles. Really beautiful!

I dunno why it has to be those two options either. Miami is not Brazil, despite the Latin influences, it is still in American city, and it will change in architecture styles and development, it should do so in an American way not like they do in Brazil. Where do you live that has vinyl siding homes? I don't remember ever seeing a house like that in Miami. Closest was in Hollywood. I haven't been to Key West, but I have been to some of the upper keys. Yes their home styles are more varied there, and look nicer. Marco Island also has beautiful homes. One summer my family stayed at a beach house there, it was really beautiful. Had three floors and a great summery feeling. Just so cozy! There was also this beautiful pink house across the street, I found it on street view. https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9488...8i6656!6m1!1e1 I wish Miami had more homes like that.

In high school, we did an art project about Coral Gable's history and all of the worldly themed village George Merrick planned. My assignment was on the Italian village and I made a ceramic piece inspired by Italian-esque architecture. It was really interesting learning about those villages but I have only ever seen the French Normandy village.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:59 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,850,807 times
It's a section of Garden Hills that wasn't done in the Mediterranean style. The houses have siding, but it's not vinyl. It's something sturdier. Maybe it's called Handy Plank? I'm not sure why that rings a bell? They only put it on the fronts of the homes, but still, it's better than nothing. They have decorative shutters and a little detail on the front porches to make them look like the gingerbread styles you see in Key West. These homes are nothing fancy or expensive, but it just goes to show that you can be a tiny bit creative and different with a little thought variations!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Miami could look like this in 100 years or less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSpaRJDy1Wg

Old 09-12-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Where is that person flying from? When I flew in from Atlanta, we came over the Everglades, not the ocean lol Obviously flying from Europe or somewhere else overseas you have a different view. The houses by the ocean are nicer than inland.
You weren't paying close attention or perhaps you didn't watch the video but they did come in from the west end of Miami-Dade flew back out over Biscayne Bay circling over Key Biscayne/Virginia Key then headed to MIA with flight pattern over Coconut Grove>Little Havana> Blue Lagoon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami