Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Miami is the right city for me?
Yes! It sounds like it has most of the things you are looking for. 10 23.81%
No. While it may seem nice, I think you'll be disappointed once you live here. 19 45.24%
No. While I think you would like Miami, I think you would like living somewhere else even better. 9 21.43%
I'm not really sure. 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:03 PM

22 posts, read 36,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Have you ever been to Miami? Miami can seem great on paper and on Youtube vids, but the reality can be quite different. Why not try living down here during the summer between semesters and see if the lifestyle lives up to what you think it'll be.
Well, I would do that... if I had the money to do that. I would need to get a job this year, save some money, and then get a secure summer job there to do that, and I don't know if I'll be able to do that. I was mostly talking about when I get a degree and secure a job in the area.

But you're right in that I should see what it's like before making a move like that. Are there any reasons in particular that makes Miami unenjoyable to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 11:44 PM

683 posts, read 852,878 times
Stopped reading at 21 y/o college student in South Carolina. Miami is not a place for country bumpkins.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Stopped reading at 21 y/o college student in South Carolina. Miami is not a place for country bumpkins.

I'm about as far away from country as you can get. Do you think I chose to live here? No. I did not. And I want to get the **** away from this place exactly because I don't like it. I explicitly said that I disliked Southern culture in my post.

You would know that if you had actually read some... Don't make assumptions. ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-02-2015 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 10-02-2015, 10:35 AM

683 posts, read 852,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MereModesty View Post

I'm about as far away from country as you can get. Do you think I chose to live here? No. I did not. And I want to get the **** away from this place exactly because I don't like it. I explicitly said that I disliked Southern culture in my post.

You would know that if you had actually read some... Don't make assumptions. ***MOD CUT***
Who the hell is going to read that Hemingway auto biography that you wrote anyway? There are so many threads on here that can tell you if you would like it down here. The search button works wonders.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Oh to be 21 again and know what I know now. Yea, Miami is an exciting city with plenty of things to do but in reality the novelty wears off and then you realize it is like any other big city where you have to fight traffic and put up with the everyday hustle and bustle of going to work.

You are young and filled with **** and vinegar where you want to sow your wild oats. You say you prefer Latino women, here in Miami you have to show them the bling , that you are worth something, have a lot of bucks(Dinero) as that seems to be the main attraction, not all but some.

Look before you leap, visit the city first, if you have the time and money stay a week and see what Miami is about. Yes there are beautiful palm trees, beautiful waters and beautiful clean air, drive around or take a bus around town to visit many areas. This may be a city you want to party hearty and socialize, so you might want to hit the main active places like Ocean Drive, South Beach. This will indicate to you whether it is worth living here and paying high costs when you could live in another part of Florida such as Orlando and having a 225- mile drive to visit Miami.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Who the hell is going to read that Hemingway auto biography that you wrote anyway?
"Hemingway autobiography"... I suppose it was full of lots of personal information, but I figured it'd be relevant to help answer my question so that you at least have somewhat of an idea what kind of person I am and if I would like it.

Quote:
There are so many threads on here that can tell you if you would like it down here. The search button works wonders.
And I already did look through some of the threads, but I frankly don't have the time to sit through and read every relevant thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Oh to be 21 again and know what I know now. Yea, Miami is an exciting city with plenty of things to do but in reality the novelty wears off and then you realize it is like any other big city where you have to fight traffic and put up with the everyday hustle and bustle of going to work.
Believe it or not, the "novelty" wearing off is something I worried about, but then again, isn't it like that for most places? And is Miami really that bad? If so, why? And putting up with the "hustle and bustle" of the big city is something everyone has to face in ANY big city, right? And as for traffic, as I said, I plan on mostly walking and using public transport most of the time. I would HATE having to frequently use a car in almost any large city.

Quote:
You are young and filled with **** and vinegar where you want to sow your wild oats. You say you prefer Latino women, here in Miami you have to show them the bling , that you are worth something, have a lot of bucks(Dinero) as that seems to be the main attraction, not all but some.
Yeah, I had a feeling that some of the woman were materialistic, which is why I asked about it in my post, but is it really that bad? Do you really need to have a LOT of money for them to like you, are they ONLY in it for the money/status, and are there THAT many gold diggers around there?

Quote:
Look before you leap, visit the city first, if you have the time and money stay a week and see what Miami is about. Yes there are beautiful palm trees, beautiful waters and beautiful clean air, drive around or take a bus around town to visit many areas. This may be a city you want to party hearty and socialize, so you might want to hit the main active places like Ocean Drive, South Beach. This will indicate to you whether it is worth living here and paying high costs when you could live in another part of Florida such as Orlando and having a 225- mile drive to visit Miami.
Yeah, visiting is probably necessary. And I was looking at other Florida cities, but none seemed to be as walkable as Miami, which is a big factor for me.

Like I said, if you have any other alternatives, please suggest them. I would really like to hear them and check them out.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:49 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,281 times
You keep mentioning that you like Miami because it's "walkable", but I think you'll find much of the city isn't very walkable, and the few places that are, are out of your proposed price range. Besides, you really won't want to be out walking anywhere from April to November unless you don't mind showing up at your destination soaked in sweat. The humidity is really as bad as they say it is and even nighttime doesn't bring any relief. I have to do large loads of laundry twice a week because I'm always changing out of sweaty clothes.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Not a good paying city. If deciding on Miami make sure you have an interest in learning Spanish. Traffic is a bear. Live close to work. Busses take forever. ....

Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times
I think adding all the details was very good, and those that don't like it can SOB.

With that said, you should really visit first. While it sounds like the area could suit you, visiting and experiencing for yourself is really key.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
You keep mentioning that you like Miami because it's "walkable", but I think you'll find much of the city isn't very walkable, and the few places that are, are out of your proposed price range. Besides, you really won't want to be out walking anywhere from April to November unless you don't mind showing up at your destination soaked in sweat. The humidity is really as bad as they say it is and even nighttime doesn't bring any relief. I have to do large loads of laundry twice a week because I'm always changing out of sweaty clothes.
First of all, I LIKE the warmth and humidity. Even if it's between 60 and 70 degrees, I'm uncomfortable and chilly. If it's between 50 and 60, I'm cold, shivering, and agitated. Anything below 50 degrees, and I'm in pain, and the pain increases the lower it gets (I experienced having to walk in 15 degrees once... it was one of the worst experiences of my life). As for the higher end, if it's between 70 and 90 degrees, even if it's high humidity, I'm comfortable, especially if it's in the 70's during the day with some sunshine and in the 80's at night without sunshine. Between 90 and 100 degrees with high humidity, I'm uncomfortable, but I can handle it. It's not until it gets to 100 degrees and over that I start becoming agitated by the heat. If I'm not doing any intense physical activity, such as if I'm just walking to work, I won't start sweating profusely until it's in the 90's and I've walked over 30 minutes (if I'm doing intense physical activity, such as playing tennis, then I start sweating profusely in the 80's and even high 70's with high humidity).

Even if I consider that sweating may be a problem because I have to wear a business suit or something, can't I just carry my suit with me to a nearby men's room and just change there before going into work?

And second of all, there's really no walkable neighborhoods near the downtown area I could stay at that would have apartments in that price range? And if you don't think Miami's walkable enough for me, then what would you propose based on my criteria of wanting to be in a large city near the Gulf Coast that is walkable? I listed some suggestions, but no one really commented on those. And I looked at how walkable those places were, including cities like Orlando and Tampa, and none of them even came close to as walkable as Miami from my research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Not a good paying city.
Just not good-paying overall, or would it not be a good-paying city for my field of interest? If it's not good-paying, then how on Earth are there all those wealthy people owning yachts and throwing huge parties in penthouse rooms at beachfront luxury hotels in South Beach?

Quote:
If deciding on Miami make sure you have an interest in learning Spanish.
I kind of already touched on this and said I'd be willing to learn some Spanish. But no one ever told me to what extent I need to know it.

Quote:
Traffic is a bear. Live close to work. Busses take forever.
I know, which is why I want a city that is walkable and where I can walk to work. That's pretty much a given in ANY large city like this. And buses take forever? Hmm... Is the metro line any convenient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I think adding all the details was very good, and those that don't like it can SOB.
Was "SOB" an acronym, or just the word "sob"? If it's an acronym, then I don't what you're referring to that is used as a verb like that.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
With that said, you should really visit first. While it sounds like the area could suit you, visiting and experiencing for yourself is really key.
That's what I hear. I suppose it's true. I just need to figure out a way to visit.

Hmm... does the University of Miami and Florida International University offer good grad programs? I might have to look into those, because if they have good, accredited programs for my field, then I might just go to them. Although I know both of those aren't really near the downtown area (especially FIU), so if I want to explore the downtown area extensively, I'm going to need to drive. *shudders*

Last edited by MereModesty; 10-03-2015 at 01:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami