Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:26 PM

106 posts, read 221,730 times

Advertisements

About a year ago I started getting these random calls coming from 305 and 786 numbers. And it's always a recording of a guy in spanish "Hola!, si tu necesitar un... blah blah blah.... oprimer el numero uno". These calls always come from 305 and 786 numbers. Lately it's happening every single day. Sometimes twice or three times a day. I'm on the do not call list but yeah, this is Miami so...

I know the obvious thing is to change my number but I wanted to know if this is happening to most people with Miami numbers or if my number somehow got on some list. Maybe someone accidentally put my number down while filling out a raffle ticket at Sedanos or something. It would be a major inconvenience to change my number and I don't want to go through that if it's gonna happen again with a new number. Anyone know how this scam operates? Do they just randomly dial 305 numbers?

Oh yeah, of course I block the number every single time. But they just move to a new number. I must have close to a thousand blocked numbers on my phone at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 05:09 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
I get such calls to my cell phone several times a week. A few years ago I answered once and spoke to someone and the person wanted to sell me an international calling card. In most cases, I just don't answer. Like you, I have several numbers on the block call list but they keep coming from new numbers.

Lately I have been receiving this call from Venezuela (country code 582), I usually don't answer and the call fades out after a few rings, sometimes even after one or two. Once I answered after several rings, Hispanic voice saying hola, but I didn't respond, not even breathing, until he hung up.

You could change your number, but the calls would probably still come eventually.

Obviously these calls are illegal. I suppose you could try to track them down and notify the FTC or FCC.

Good Luck with that!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:09 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I get these calls too, I finally added my number to the Do Not Call List a few months ago and that has slowed down the number of calls. Also blocking those numbers after they come in is a good idea.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:26 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
The Spanish comes from having a South Florida area code. The high concentration of Spanish speakers means the robo calls are banking that you will speak Spanish.

Most of the time the calls are not really originating from the US, much less Miami. Theses are international robo calls that spoof numbers to make it look like they're calling from the local area.

A new phone number might reduce the calls, but eventually they'll ramp up again. While there are attempts to cut down on the number of calls, service providers are steps behind the groups doing this.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:19 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
I used to get them with my old number. I got this new number since 2009 and never get them. It might a keys number though. I insisted I wanted a 305 number.

I do get a lot of scammers in my landline. I should cancel it. Today some idiot in Spanish with a Caribbean accent called me and told me he was gonna disconnect my power(coltal la electricidad) in an hour. When I told him "go ahead and do it" he insulted me, called me rude and The phone call escalated all the way to profanities. I know how unproductive

I also get English calls, recordings, impersonating the IRS, collections agency's, the police and Law firms. They instruct me to call some number. Today I heard a message saying that they were going to arrest me. Oh and I get indian people claiming my Windows computer is infected. I used to get an "Amanda" lady who is a recording(a low quality Siri) who pretend to be a person, she even sneezes! I think she is from some conservative group and wants you to fill out a survey.

Here's Amanda

http://museumfatigue.org/2014/01/14/...-telemarketer/

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 10-02-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 10:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I have two Miami numbers, as well as 954, 561 and my local 863 area code. Have not had a Spanish telemarketer so far. But all of my phone numbers connect to an Asterisk server which prioritizes calls from people I know. The last telemarketer I got was a Kirby vacuum salesman. Years ago I had fun with one of them.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Yes, I pretty much stopped answering numbers that I don't recognize. They can leave a message if it's legit someone I know. It has really gotten out of control lately.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,343,707 times
Hey, live in FL not Miami though but just an aside. The other day called DHS for family member they(our government welfare office) prompt for English press 1, Spanish 2, Arab 3. Yikes!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 AM

366 posts, read 516,977 times
lol how annoying are these. i put my name on the do not call but that only blocks interstate calls. i get at least one a day from FL so i just block once i hang up. not much more u can do

Old 10-06-2015, 02:17 PM

253 posts, read 434,147 times
Maddening. I get them all the time and it escalated a few months ago. Annoying as heck because I'm on Tracfone so it wastes a minute when I answer the darn thing. The past two weeks I've been on the road and received those calls while driving on the interstate. I forgot to bring my user manual so I don't know how to block those numbers. Never blocked a number before. It feels like putting someone on ignore, which I've never done on message boards. I get double and triple teamed by the same number several times per day. I finally recognized which ones not to answer but once I return to Miami I'm going to block every one of them. No doubt they'll merely switch to other numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: