Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 AM

421 posts, read 3,212,626 times

Advertisements

in Dade, Broward or Palm Beach? I know I'd be a better person if I woke up and saw boats on the intracoastal every day

Is it possible for *gulp* 400k or should I just get that life size photo/wallpaper they sold in the 70's with a picture of a boat on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,427,343 times
I live directly on the beach in a highrise. If you'd consider a condo, there are plenty in my bldg alone that were selling for around 500 a yr or so ago that are now down to about 400. 10% of the units in my bldg are in foreclosure! There are certainly some deals to be had. The fed is expected to drop the rate another 1/2 point today...it's a buyers mrkt. Do plenty of research first, come visit the area and see if it works for you.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,803,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
in Dade, Broward or Palm Beach? I know I'd be a better person if I woke up and saw boats on the intracoastal every day

Is it possible for *gulp* 400k or should I just get that life size photo/wallpaper they sold in the 70's with a picture of a boat on it?
Probably not a single family home in that range with a view of the intercoastal. Condos on the beach, probably, but I am not sure about the view.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,890 times
A home with a view of a canal (backing up to a nice canal)....maybe...but that 400K home would be a fixer upper. Now, a home with a canal in front of the street, with no park space or water acces, like in an inland suburban area, yes...around 400k.

If we are talking on the bay or the ocean NOT EVEN CLOSE. I wouldn't know the cheapest for a single family home, but I can't imagine it under a million, you are apying for the land, not the home.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,223,046 times
If you want a home with a lake view I can think of tons... if it's an intra coastal then it's gonna be pricey.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
A home with a view of a canal (backing up to a nice canal)....maybe...but that 400K home would be a fixer upper. Now, a home with a canal in front of the street, with no park space or water acces, like in an inland suburban area, yes...around 400k..
Hmm..I'm getting confused whats the difference between a canal and the intracoastal? are canals just too narrow for boats?

and I thought there are crocodiles or alligators ( I forget which one) that live in canals and can come up and eat your pets..right?

So basically, what I'm hearing from you guys is that no matter how bad the market is, the prices are the same or pretty close to the same for homes with water views. Thats depressing.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Yeah, water properties will always be expensive.

In Miami, there is a network of canals that drain the urban runoff and excess water from the glades out to sea. This is what crisscrosses most of suburban Dade County...and probably isn't a water view for you, since people don't boat in them unless they are fishing in mini motor boats. A good example of this is the canal along SW 8 St past the Palmetto...small canoe like boats can use it for fishing, but it looks very polutted with urban runoff...but there certainly are fish and the infamous gators. Oh, gators are everywhere here, even in Biscayne bay, although there they are actually crocodiles (saltwater) versus frreshwater alligators.

The Intracoastal is large enough for ships, boats...and is a more traditional waterway. In the Gables, there are deep canals inland, and are quite beautiful...and many people have private docks on them. While not waterfront, they do have access to the Bay....

I forgot to mention the neighborhoods on the Miami River. There are a few that are affordable by local standards, I am thinking of one off 22Ave just north of the 836 (someone please help me think of the name...it isn't Spring Harbor, that is near Jackson and expensive). This one is small homes, and many back up to the industrial Miami River. A lot of barges and cargo ships pass by constantly, but it IS a river and the ships are interesting scenery....depending on what you want exactly. You MIGHT??? find a home on the Miami River here for around 400K...being a fixer upper...but it is something to at least check out.

I would personally avoid any inland areas near water (artificial lakes which act as retenion ponds). They food in heavy rain events, turn into wave pools in hurricanes and erode property...and are quite deep since many used to be quarry pits, so there is no reclaiming the land...and of course they are a great oasisi for bugs and creatures in the dry season...although in South Florida you are never too far from any source of water.

If you have to have an ocean view, you will most likely need to settle for a condo.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the great info Chelito23.

I was hoping to look at sailboats passing by, I love how pretty they look on the water even though I don't like sailing! but since that seems to be out of the question, I'd rather have a bigger garden than look at barges going by.

One more question..is S.Florida pretty flat along the coast? It doesn't seem like there are houses with water views unless they are right next to the water. I mean that no houses I've seen on websites seem to have views looking down at the water from high up, unless its a condo.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM

You are absolutely right. South Florida is flat everywhere, even at the coast. There is a small coastal ridge that runs from Brickell Avenue south through Coconut Grove and down to Cutler Ridge (hence the name). It is so small, most people don't even notice it, it may be about 15 feet higher than the rest of the area...and due to this higher elevation, it supports a hammock (dense vegetation of trees), since it does not flood here in storms, whereas all around the ridge it floods in heavy rains or hurricanes...with the Everglades and flat peninsula.

If you want a water view, you have to be right on the water or have a taller building near the water to see over the other properties. To be honest, there are some really beautiful Intercoastal Waterway condos up in Aventura that have what you are looking for. Boat access, watch the leisure craft go by....new, clean, safe, good schools, near great shopping....sure they aren't homes, but they might be near your price range.

If you want a yard for gardening, you should look in one of the older eastern areas, since out west is the land of the zero lot lines from hell. There are some decent sized lots in Westchester for example, and homes are around 300 to 400K there. Most people who actually have yards here could care less about them, leave them bare or pave over..but you can really do a lot with a bigger yard and create an island of green and make your home your own little paradise. There are also certain blocks that are greener than others. If you mention more details about work and budget, more people could make more recommendations about areas best suited for you, keeping in mind you WANT a yard.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Thanks for the great info Chelito23.

I was hoping to look at sailboats passing by, I love how pretty they look on the water even though I don't like sailing! but since that seems to be out of the question, I'd rather have a bigger garden than look at barges going by.

One more question..is S.Florida pretty flat along the coast? It doesn't seem like there are houses with water views unless they are right next to the water. I mean that no houses I've seen on websites seem to have views looking down at the water from high up, unless its a condo.
You might wan to look into Lake Osbourne in Lantana, FL (south of West Palm Beach, near Lake Worth). The neighborhood is a mixture of Anglo's and Hispanics, it has nice older style homes, and has a beautiful lake view.

It's also a big boating area.

Interestingly enough, there are hills near the area (but not in this particular section, but close by near the highway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami