Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjameson View Post
Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. Unfortunately staying in ATL is not an option if I want to move up, and it was either Miami or the Northeast.

Interesting bit on the traffic. How is that even predictable as far as getting to work? I definitely wouldn't want to miss a flight. Also, most of my flights would be relatively close. Fly out early morning and be able to fly back same day.

Rent does sound very high. I'm trying to find a situation where I can rent for a while but not break the bank, so that I can continue saving for a house. I don't want to be stuck paying a crazy rent that could be going towards a mortgage. I still need to hear regarding being long term in Miami, but it sounds like the info I'm getting I could get at least a 5 year extension if I wanted. Then possible another after. Obviously that is down the road. I just view renting as a point to save towards a mortgage, whether that is the correct thinking or not, IDK, but I viewed it as a stepping stone towards home ownership. Perhaps the prices will dissuade me. I also thought Florida was in a bit of foreclosure jam, specifically in Miami-Dade. Would those houses be in less than desirable neighborhoods? (This is just from a handful of articles I've read in passing over a few months, not any hardcore research)

I don't get offended if people don't speak English, I'm more concerned with not being able to communicate (which it sounds like it shouldn't be too much of an issue) and being worried about going about daily activities. I want to be able to be aware of what is going on around me so that is one reason I'm going to try to pick it up. Plus, I'd like to continue playing sports and such, and it would be nice to know what horrible things are being said about me on the soccer field lol.

I've driven a bit in FL, and yes, the driving and attitude was noticeably different than ATL. Walk into a store and people are saying good morning in a cheerful manner. It is infectious. In FL it seemed forced, or missing completely. Customer service was really noticeable everywhere I want, in a bad way. Granted this is on maybe a handful of trips down there, and not to Miami.

I've also never thought of leasing a car, but that is something I will have to look into. I love the stuff you guys are throwing out here because some things I never would have thought of. Thanks!

I still like Miami Springs, very close by, beautiful well-kept up area. I believe when it was Eastern based out of Miami, stewardesses and pilots lived in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldl5112 View Post
I moved from Atlanta to Miami in June of last year and work at the airport.

Cost of living is SO much more expensive here. In Atlanta, I had a nice apartment in Grant Park, with a 15 minute commute to the airport and close to everything, for $1000/month. Here, you'll easily spend $1000/month in a terrible neighborhood. I lived in Aventura at first, which I do NOT recommend if you're working at the airport. I live in Doral now. It's much closer (my commute is now 10 minutes or so), but it's very expensive. I pay almost $1800/month for a 1 bedroom apartment. If you want to buy a house, and still be close to the airport, definitely look at Miami Springs. Stay away from anywhere that puts you commuting on I-95, as it's very unpredictable. My commute from Aventura was 30 minutes on a very good day, 2 hours on a bad one.

In terms of food and restaurants, Miami has a great variety of Latin and Caribbean food. Beyond that, not so much. Very few good Middle Eastern restaurants (I drive all the way to Sunrise to go to a good Persian place), no Ethiopian places at all, etc. But if you want ropa vieja and a cortadito or some pandebono, you're in luck. I have found a really good pizza place down here (Piola), so there's that.

It's definitely a culture shock. If you're the type of person who gets offended when the people around you aren't speaking in English, Miami is not the place for you. I'm not, so it doesn't bother me. I just tune people out, lol. People call it an "international city," and I guess that's true in the strictest sense, but really, it's mostly a hispanic/latin city. I don't personally consider it international (in terms of culture, anyway) in the least. Unless you're very familiar with the different latin cultures, it's basically all the same. I ran into far more "international" flavor in Atlanta, and working at the airport, we had a lot more variety in our international flights in Atlanta, too.

Even though I do like Miami, I personally prefer Atlanta. I've always been treated better and more politely in Atlanta than I have been in Miami. The traffic is better and drivers are better and not nearly as rude in Atlanta, too. (I'm not saying the drivers are GOOD in Atlanta, but at least they're predictable!)

Miami is incredibly obsessed with image, to the point of it being overkill. Everyone's always got to be in 6" stilettos, skin-tight clothing, full make-up, even when just going to the mall. Billboards and constant radio advertisements for cosmetic surgery, etc.

Being close to the beach is nice in theory, but the problem is that you'd never know the beach was close unless you were right on it. Miami is so flat and built up around the shore areas that you literally never see water unless you're right next to it.

Booyah. ATL anyday.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. Unfortunately staying in ATL is not an option if I want to move up, and it was either Miami or the Northeast.

Interesting bit on the traffic. How is that even predictable as far as getting to work? I definitely wouldn't want to miss a flight. Also, most of my flights would be relatively close. Fly out early morning and be able to fly back same day.

Rent does sound very high. I'm trying to find a situation where I can rent for a while but not break the bank, so that I can continue saving for a house. I don't want to be stuck paying a crazy rent that could be going towards a mortgage. I still need to hear regarding being long term in Miami, but it sounds like the info I'm getting I could get at least a 5 year extension if I wanted. Then possible another after. Obviously that is down the road. I just view renting as a point to save towards a mortgage, whether that is the correct thinking or not, IDK, but I viewed it as a stepping stone towards home ownership. Perhaps the prices will dissuade me. I also thought Florida was in a bit of foreclosure jam, specifically in Miami-Dade. Would those houses be in less than desirable neighborhoods? (This is just from a handful of articles I've read in passing over a few months, not any hardcore research)

I don't get offended if people don't speak English, I'm more concerned with not being able to communicate (which it sounds like it shouldn't be too much of an issue) and being worried about going about daily activities. I want to be able to be aware of what is going on around me so that is one reason I'm going to try to pick it up. Plus, I'd like to continue playing sports and such, and it would be nice to know what horrible things are being said about me on the soccer field lol.

I've driven a bit in FL, and yes, the driving and attitude was noticeably different than ATL. Walk into a store and people are saying good morning in a cheerful manner. It is infectious. In FL it seemed forced, or missing completely. Customer service was really noticeable everywhere I want, in a bad way. Granted this is on maybe a handful of trips down there, and not to Miami.

I've also never thought of leasing a car, but that is something I will have to look into. I love the stuff you guys are throwing out here because some things I never would have thought of. Thanks!
Not only are you going to be in for a big shock, but I wouldn't buy a house in Miami, until you really decide if you can stand it or not.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:58 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
If you are flying in 2 to 3 times a week, can you stay in ATL? That would be best..... If not live as far north as you can and fly in and out of Ft. Lauderdale.
Great idea. At that rate, I'd stay in Atlanta. Or better yet, look at the NE. Less shock to deal with than in Miami. Plus professionalism lacks down there. You'll see.

Quote:
Honestly, I've never owned a house. In ATL the housing seemed to be a lot cheaper, so I'm not sure the value of what price range I would even be in. I've got great credit, and I could get a pretty solid loan from NFCU. I'm not one of those that lives paycheck to paycheck, so I won't be blowing on a lifestyle if I need to be paying my mortgage.

I would rather live in a house, but I don't know what my money will get in comparison to the market I'm leaving. Again, this what I want, not necessarily what I need. I'm used to roughing it if need be (as far as expenses, minimal lifestyle).

I'm used to the urban environment, just not used to having somewhat of a language barrier coupled with it.

Transfer will be beginning of next year, first week of January.

Miami does not have the urban feel Atlanta has, especially if you're living in Buckhead or Midtown or Va Highlands/Grant Park/Piedmont Park areas. With your mindset (seemingly level headed), Miami is not a good choice. Not saying you won't survive. While it may be a step forward career-wise, it's a step backward in QOL. You'll see it. Rent will be higher, insurance, gas, to name a few. Where in the NE would you be able to go if you could? I personally think the NE (NY or Boston) would be a better career choice, but it's your choice. But COL will be high up there as well. Living in NY or Boston, you can do without a car, and save there.

If you're into night clubs and fake rich nonsense, Miami will appeal to you. Look into Broward county if possible. It's still South Florida, but much better (not necessarily cheaper). And Ft. Lauderdale airport has flights just like MIA does.

Like others have stated, RENT. Don't buy. Very expensive, and so not worth it. When comparing what we have in Ga, compared to what we had in South Florida, nothing down there, dollar for dollar, can compare to anything in the metro Atlanta area. If you already have a running car, just bring it with you. With the cost of renting, why get a car note if you already have a car? Again some poster mentioned luxury cars. That's the mindset down there. Every broke fool in South Florida wants a BMW 3 series or C Class Mercedes. That's the mindset down there, and people size you up based on these depreciating liabilities, that they don't even own (most are leases).
I don't recall in your original post, saying you wanted a luxury car. If your job is close to where you want to live, you can always use Uber or use whatever car you already have. Getting a new one is a personal decision down the line. Plus auto insurance down there is higher (so much fraud and accidents down there)

And there's this Spice that people mention about South Florida (code word for Latin culture) that is overrated. While different, it gets boring in no time. And you'll see it as soon as you move there. The driving down there may be attributed to that spice they mention and the rudeness you'll encounter at times. (There are nice people down there (of all races), but plenty of pricks too). Some say it's international. It's really South American. Not saying you won't find Europeans, Blacks (of different countries) and Asians (mostly vacationing), but people try to sell you on this uniqueness that is overblown. My family and I love the change of seasons, so Miami did not appeal to us. It's always hot and humid. Rains more in Miami than it does in Atlanta. You can always Google that fact.
The winters down there are nice though. It's the best time to be there. Other than that, the rest of the year is not that great.

Gym: I'd just get a membership at a local gym. Plenty down there.
You can always DM me if you have questions. I've lived in the Northeast, Europe, South Florida and now Metro Atlanta. Advice is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
Don't do it!!! ATL is much nicer!!!
Best advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Why do you say that ? I have lived there it has its own culture shock, the traffic is horrible, it is landlocked, people think nothing of driving 50-60 miles to work. The city is predominantly run by blacks(African-Americans). It has many positives but Atlanta is what it is by where it is located, centrally located to many American hub cities, it is analogous to Chicago. But to say it is nicer is a trade-off.
Nothing wrong with Atlanta being what it is (regardless of who runs it). It seems to attract more Fortune 500 companies than Miami ever has (a city run by Cubans, since you want to make that a point ). Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Coca-Cola, Delta, Suntrust, NCR to name a few, have all made Atlanta home for many reasons.

Companies like Atlanta for its cost of living, the educated workforce (greater than South Florida), largest Airport in the US, and many other factors Miami has yet to prove to these major corporations. So your "run by blacks" statement sounds rather ignorant (half truth), and you make it sound like it's a bad thing. While African Americans do hold many top positions in Atlanta (that I doubt they'd hold in Miami for apparent reasons), plenty of Anglos (whites) hold top positions as well.

Not to fan flames, but that did sound rather ignorant considering Miami isn't saying much on these levels. So let's get back to the OP and his questions.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:49 PM

Like I said Miami Springs would be your best bet for close proximity to the airport, not much nightlife but a very desirable area or you can choose to live in Brickell, where a lot of young professionals live and more nightlife, very expensive especially east of Miami Avenue. You can use the Metromover in Brickell and it will take you to a lot of places you need to go.

I don't know where you are from originally but the advice to go live in the Northeast is ludicrous, as you will freeze your tuckus off if you are not use to the weather. New York City is dirty, I mean Manhattan is nice but once you leave that borough most of the city is either drab or dirty, too many Brownstones for me.

Boston is much cleaner than New York, prettier too, looks like London, however it gets cold as blue blazes

Last edited by perry335654; 10-16-2015 at 12:05 AM..

Old 10-16-2015, 12:28 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Great idea. At that rate, I'd stay in Atlanta. Or better yet, look at the NE. Less shock to deal with than in Miami. Plus professionalism lacks down there. You'll see.

Miami does not have the urban feel Atlanta has, especially if you're living in Buckhead or Midtown or Va Highlands/Grant Park/Piedmont Park areas. With your mindset (seemingly level headed), Miami is not a good choice. Not saying you won't survive. While it may be a step forward career-wise, it's a step backward in QOL. You'll see it. Rent will be higher, insurance, gas, to name a few. Where in the NE would you be able to go if you could? I personally think the NE (NY or Boston) would be a better career choice, but it's your choice. But COL will be high up there as well. Living in NY or Boston, you can do without a car, and save there.

If you're into night clubs and fake rich nonsense, Miami will appeal to you. Look into Broward county if possible. It's still South Florida, but much better (not necessarily cheaper). And Ft. Lauderdale airport has flights just like MIA does.

Like others have stated, RENT. Don't buy. Very expensive, and so not worth it. When comparing what we have in Ga, compared to what we had in South Florida, nothing down there, dollar for dollar, can compare to anything in the metro Atlanta area. If you already have a running car, just bring it with you. With the cost of renting, why get a car note if you already have a car? Again some poster mentioned luxury cars. That's the mindset down there. Every broke fool in South Florida wants a BMW 3 series or C Class Mercedes. That's the mindset down there, and people size you up based on these depreciating liabilities, that they don't even own (most are leases).
I don't recall in your original post, saying you wanted a luxury car. If your job is close to where you want to live, you can always use Uber or use whatever car you already have. Getting a new one is a personal decision down the line. Plus auto insurance down there is higher (so much fraud and accidents down there)

And there's this Spice that people mention about South Florida (code word for Latin culture) that is overrated. While different, it gets boring in no time. And you'll see it as soon as you move there. The driving down there may be attributed to that spice they mention and the rudeness you'll encounter at times. (There are nice people down there (of all races), but plenty of pricks too). Some say it's international. It's really South American. Not saying you won't find Europeans, Blacks (of different countries) and Asians (mostly vacationing), but people try to sell you on this uniqueness that is overblown. My family and I love the change of seasons, so Miami did not appeal to us. It's always hot and humid. Rains more in Miami than it does in Atlanta. You can always Google that fact.
The winters down there are nice though. It's the best time to be there. Other than that, the rest of the year is not that great.

Gym: I'd just get a membership at a local gym. Plenty down there.
You can always DM me if you have questions. I've lived in the Northeast, Europe, South Florida and now Metro Atlanta. Advice is free.

Best advice.

Nothing wrong with Atlanta being what it is (regardless of who runs it). It seems to attract more Fortune 500 companies than Miami ever has (a city run by Cubans, since you want to make that a point ). Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Coca-Cola, Delta, Suntrust, NCR to name a few, have all made Atlanta home for many reasons.

Companies like Atlanta for its cost of living, the educated workforce (greater than South Florida), largest Airport in the US, and many other factors Miami has yet to prove to these major corporations. So your "run by blacks" statement sounds rather ignorant (half truth), and you make it sound like it's a bad thing. While African Americans do hold many top positions in Atlanta (that I doubt they'd hold in Miami for apparent reasons), plenty of Anglos (whites) hold top positions as well.

Not to fan flames, but that did sound rather ignorant considering Miami isn't saying much on these levels. So let's get back to the OP and his questions.
Let's start with this! Atlanta's downtown was ruined by John Portman and his "Peachtree Complex" which had skybridges instead of interaction at the street level!
He also screwed up Detroit with it's "Renaissance Center".

Miami does not have the urban feel Atlanta has, especially if you're living in Buckhead or Midtown or Va Highlands/Grant Park/Piedmont Park areas.

What "Urban feel does Atlanta have???...Miami has 80,000 residents living from Edgewater to Brickell which is 20% of the city's population in a 2 Square mile area.

Buckhead has single family homes that reside on 1-2 acres! What major Urban city has that? SPRAWLANTA!

Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 AM

Just part of the beauty of Miami, the shock you will experience is that you will see an abundance of water(oceans and bays) that is hard to find in Atlanta.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xynntii/19932373778/

Old 10-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Let's start with this! Atlanta's downtown was ruined by John Portman and his "Peachtree Complex" which had skybridges instead of interaction at the street level!
He also screwed up Detroit with it's "Renaissance Center".

Miami does not have the urban feel Atlanta has, especially if you're living in Buckhead or Midtown or Va Highlands/Grant Park/Piedmont Park areas.

What "Urban feel does Atlanta have???...Miami has 80,000 residents living from Edgewater to Brickell which is 20% of the city's population in a 2 Square mile area.

Buckhead has single family homes that reside on 1-2 acres! What major Urban city has that? SPRAWLANTA!
That's where you're wrong. Plenty of condos, apts, mixed use developments, shopping and entertainment in Buckhead. When were you last there? Cause you have little to no clue. However it is a sight to see these gorgeous homes in Buckhead. That makes it quite unique to be in a city and have space to build a nice house on 2 acres, and be minutes from all the action. Rather unique. Miami doesn't even offer that kind of space in the burbs, unless you want to call SW Ranches in Davie home, and you're going to have to pay way more than a home in Buckhead for half the space and land. Rip off!!

About Miami and its 80,000 residents living in a 2 Square mile area makes it dense, not urban (Get it right ). But how walk-able are these areas? Miami does not score well in that category. So what you're saying is not that valid, when trying to bring up a case for Miami's urban feel. Show me an area with mix use developments in the area you're speaking of. I doubt there are many, if any in a 2 sq mile radius.

Downtown Miami area could have had a chance (and still does), but it might as well serve for the scene of a zombie movie. It's dead if there's no Heat game or the few shady night clubs in that area. (I'm not sure if they're still open). While downtown Miami has a beautiful Skyline, it does nothing to exploit and lure people there. It's really missing the boat on that one. Sorry to say, but it's true.

Atlanta is no NYC in urban experience, but I'd say it scores higher than Miami.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Just part of the beauty of Miami, the shock you will experience is that you will see an abundance of water(oceans and bays) that is hard to find in Atlanta.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xynntii/19932373778/

Miami wins in that category, by default. But that's not a reason to move there. Unless he's a surfer and enjoys the beach all day, all night, it doesn't matter much. How often do you go to the beach? When we lived there, if we did it twice a year, it was a miracle. Now that we're in Atlanta, we enjoy drives and weekends to Savannah during the summer. The idea of not having it around makes it a novelty, I guess. And that's what you seem to want to sell to non-Florida residents.

Miami is a decent place to visit (I still preferred Los Angeles/San Diego more than I did Miami). The topography in California kills Miami. (You have both beach and mountains, plus gorgeous sunsets).

Miami is more interesting as a tourist versus being a resident. He may soon find out.

The OP's choice will end up being a personal one, and one he may like or regret. However, we're here to offer him different views. Having lived in South Florida, it was not a good fit for us. It seems to be for you. So this, I'm sure is a good read for the OP. I lived there, and in GA now. I can make comparisons of both places.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:10 PM

179 posts, read 325,410 times
Quote:

Interesting bit on the traffic. How is that even predictable as far as getting to work? I definitely wouldn't want to miss a flight. Also, most of my flights would be relatively close. Fly out early morning and be able to fly back same day. I work midnights now, but when I was living in Aventura, I worked a 0400-1200 shift. Luckily, although I always ran into construction traffic on the way to the airport (no matter which way I drove), the longest part of my commute was the trip home, especially if there was construction or rain. I once spent two hours driving home when I was living in Aventura, an hour of which was spent just trying to get to I-95, which is normally less than 10 minutes from the airport. That's the reason I moved to Doral. The short commute (10 minutes or less) and parking garage is worth the extra $270/month in rent.

Rent does sound very high. I'm trying to find a situation where I can rent for a while but not break the bank, so that I can continue saving for a house. I don't want to be stuck paying a crazy rent that could be going towards a mortgage. I still need to hear regarding being long term in Miami, but it sounds like the info I'm getting I could get at least a 5 year extension if I wanted. Then possible another after. Obviously that is down the road. I just view renting as a point to save towards a mortgage, whether that is the correct thinking or not, IDK, but I viewed it as a stepping stone towards home ownership. Perhaps the prices will dissuade me. I also thought Florida was in a bit of foreclosure jam, specifically in Miami-Dade. Would those houses be in less than desirable neighborhoods? (This is just from a handful of articles I've read in passing over a few months, not any hardcore research)The problem with buying in Miami is that if you want a condo, you're competing with all the South Americans coming in and paying cash for their condos. Sellers are going to take cold, hard cash over a mortgage any day of the week, and more than 75% of condos in the Miami area are cash sales. If you want a house, unless you're in an undesirable neighborhood, want a long commute, or want a tiny little place that needs a ton of updates and is in a neighborhood that floods, you're going to spend a lot. If I were buying, I'd be looking in Miami Springs, since it's extremely close to the airport and, although it is a safe neighborhood, it isn't considered "desirable" by a lot of cash buyers. And speaking of flooding, you need to make sure the neighborhood you pick isn't terribly flood-prone. This past spring, there was one day when I lived in Aventura that it rained heavily all day. It flooded so badly that there were cars stalled out everywhere.

I don't get offended if people don't speak English, I'm more concerned with not being able to communicate (which it sounds like it shouldn't be too much of an issue) and being worried about going about daily activities. I want to be able to be aware of what is going on around me so that is one reason I'm going to try to pick it up. Plus, I'd like to continue playing sports and such, and it would be nice to know what horrible things are being said about me on the soccer field lol.Most of the time, you're going to be around people that can speak at least some English. Usually, it's the lower-level positions (janitors, late-night store clerks, etc.) that speak so little English that it can be difficult to communicate unless you know at least a little Spanish. You won't have much of a problem in larger stores, but small mom & pop stores, cafeterias, etc. might be an issue. Luckily, inspecting a lot of baggage from South America, I've picked up enough Spanish that I can order food and a dark cafe con leche or cortadito, get basic directions, and say please and thank you, even if I can't hold a conversation.

Basically, just really think hard about the move. One of the issues that I never thought about before I moved was how exclusionary Miami is. Unless you fit easily into one of the larger communities (Cuban, Argentine, Brazilian, Haitian, etc.), you're kind of left out in the cold, even at work. Luckily, I'm an introvert and somewhat anti-social, so it doesn't bother me too much, but if you're an extrovert that needs to be around people socially, it can be difficult to adjust. It was a major difference from Atlanta for me. At work there, we had people from all different backgrounds and races that were extremely friendly and social with each other outside work. Here, everyone sticks with their own kind, so to speak. They're friendly at work, but each group tends to look out for their own members and you aren't generally going to be invited to social events outside work unless you fit in their culture. So if you come, make sure that you've either got a good support system or that you're flexible with stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami