Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Great idea. At that rate, I'd stay in Atlanta. Or better yet, look at the NE. Less shock to deal with than in Miami. Plus professionalism lacks down there. You'll see.

Miami does not have the urban feel Atlanta has, especially if you're living in Buckhead or Midtown or Va Highlands/Grant Park/Piedmont Park areas. With your mindset (seemingly level headed), Miami is not a good choice. Not saying you won't survive. While it may be a step forward career-wise, it's a step backward in QOL. You'll see it. Rent will be higher, insurance, gas, to name a few. Where in the NE would you be able to go if you could? I personally think the NE (NY or Boston) would be a better career choice, but it's your choice. But COL will be high up there as well. Living in NY or Boston, you can do without a car, and save there.

If you're into night clubs and fake rich nonsense, Miami will appeal to you. Look into Broward county if possible. It's still South Florida, but much better (not necessarily cheaper). And Ft. Lauderdale airport has flights just like MIA does.

Like others have stated, RENT. Don't buy. Very expensive, and so not worth it. When comparing what we have in Ga, compared to what we had in South Florida, nothing down there, dollar for dollar, can compare to anything in the metro Atlanta area. If you already have a running car, just bring it with you. With the cost of renting, why get a car note if you already have a car? Again some poster mentioned luxury cars. That's the mindset down there. Every broke fool in South Florida wants a BMW 3 series or C Class Mercedes. That's the mindset down there, and people size you up based on these depreciating liabilities, that they don't even own (most are leases).
I don't recall in your original post, saying you wanted a luxury car. If your job is close to where you want to live, you can always use Uber or use whatever car you already have. Getting a new one is a personal decision down the line. Plus auto insurance down there is higher (so much fraud and accidents down there)

And there's this Spice that people mention about South Florida (code word for Latin culture) that is overrated. While different, it gets boring in no time. And you'll see it as soon as you move there. The driving down there may be attributed to that spice they mention and the rudeness you'll encounter at times. (There are nice people down there (of all races), but plenty of pricks too). Some say it's international. It's really South American. Not saying you won't find Europeans, Blacks (of different countries) and Asians (mostly vacationing), but people try to sell you on this uniqueness that is overblown. My family and I love the change of seasons, so Miami did not appeal to us. It's always hot and humid. Rains more in Miami than it does in Atlanta. You can always Google that fact.
The winters down there are nice though. It's the best time to be there. Other than that, the rest of the year is not that great.

Gym: I'd just get a membership at a local gym. Plenty down there.
You can always DM me if you have questions. I've lived in the Northeast, Europe, South Florida and now Metro Atlanta. Advice is free.

Best advice.

Nothing wrong with Atlanta being what it is (regardless of who runs it). It seems to attract more Fortune 500 companies than Miami ever has (a city run by Cubans, since you want to make that a point ). Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Coca-Cola, Delta, Suntrust, NCR to name a few, have all made Atlanta home for many reasons.

Companies like Atlanta for its cost of living, the educated workforce (greater than South Florida), largest Airport in the US, and many other factors Miami has yet to prove to these major corporations. So your "run by blacks" statement sounds rather ignorant (half truth), and you make it sound like it's a bad thing. While African Americans do hold many top positions in Atlanta (that I doubt they'd hold in Miami for apparent reasons), plenty of Anglos (whites) hold top positions as well.

Not to fan flames, but that did sound rather ignorant considering Miami isn't saying much on these levels. So let's get back to the OP and his questions.

Fantastic post, and so true. We have friends (many from FL) either in Alpharetta or Roswell. They love it here, cant understand why we are in Orlando. I really like that area of GA. Especially Alpharetta. Its like Lake Mary with hills and seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:09 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Miami wins in that category, by default. But that's not a reason to move there. Unless he's a surfer and enjoys the beach all day, all night, it doesn't matter much. How often do you go to the beach? When we lived there, if we did it twice a year, it was a miracle. Now that we're in Atlanta, we enjoy drives and weekends to Savannah during the summer. The idea of not having it around makes it a novelty, I guess. And that's what you seem to want to sell to non-Florida residents.

Miami is a decent place to visit (I still preferred Los Angeles/San Diego more than I did Miami). The topography in California kills Miami. (You have both beach and mountains, plus gorgeous sunsets).

Miami is more interesting as a tourist versus being a resident. He may soon find out.

The OP's choice will end up being a personal one, and one he may like or regret. However, we're here to offer him different views. Having lived in South Florida, it was not a good fit for us. It seems to be for you. So this, I'm sure is a good read for the OP. I lived there, and in GA now. I can make comparisons of both places.
Are you from NY according to your screen name? I hope not for you to claim that Atlanta is more urban than Miami. Somebody who is from NYC would know the difference as to what is "Urban" and what isn't!
You cannot compare the urbanity of Miami to Atlanta. Buckhead which is in the city of Atlanta reminds me of Kendall which is a suburb of Miami.

The OP is a single young male with a decent salary and will be travelling out of Miami for his job. He is not trying to relive your experience in SE Florida while you lived there.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:42 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
There have been many good posts on this thread comparing the pros and cons of both Miami and Atlanta, giving the OP lots of food for thought. Unfortunately, you also get absolutely ridiculous comments that have no basis in reality at all. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
A 100K salary in MIA is equivalent to a 50K salary in Atlanta.
Here's a good cost-of-living calculator that you can use to compare how far your salary in Atlanta compares to Miami.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

MiamiResident makes the ridiculous claim that $50k in Atlanta means you need to make $100k in Miami. In point of fact, if someone makes $50k in Atlanta, they would need to make $55,885 in Miami, and that takes into consideration that the cost of housing is 30% higher in Miami. So while the cost of living is a little higher in Miami, it is nowhere close to double.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 12,978 times
Keep the advice coming. It usually is something I haven't thought of then I go down that avenue for more research haha.

Yes, if I had my choice I'd stay in ATL. I very much enjoy it, and can't say anything bad about it. However, I want to roll with this opportunity. If I could stay here I would, but the same chance isn't available.

Thanks for the comment regarding the money, as I had done some research on ATL vs the NE, and hadn't gotten around to doing that for Miami vs ATL yet, and figured no way it could be as bad.

This might seem like a silly question, but why does FL seem to have such severe splits as far as income? It seems either very poor or pretty well off. Is this the correct perception, and can someone shed some light on why this is?

edit: Also, are the people as superficial as everyone makes it sound? It seems to be a theme, and I'm wondering if that is a bit overblown, or dead on accurate.

Last edited by johnjameson; 10-20-2015 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: add another question rather than new post

Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM

179 posts, read 325,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjameson View Post

edit: Also, are the people as superficial as everyone makes it sound? It seems to be a theme, and I'm wondering if that is a bit overblown, or dead on accurate.
Believe me, it's accurate. There's an ad for cosmetic surgery during almost every other radio commercial break, billboards for cosmetic surgery everywhere, and women dress like they're on their way to a dance club as their everyday clothing. The "weather girls" on the daily news on just about every Miami-area TV station look professional alright, but professional as in call girls, not professional meteorologists. Everywhere you look, there's a Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, McLaren, etc. (and half of them are rented, lol). Miami is not a place where people go to show how intelligent they are or to make friends, it's where they go to show how much money they make and what they've spent it on, even if they've got to create an illusion.

Let me put it this way: There are multiple Porsches, Range Rovers, BMWs, and Mercedes in the resident parking garage of my apartment complex, not to mention a classic 1950s Corvette and a Maserati. And these aren't even property owners or residents in one of the really high-end buildings in Miami. It is ALL about appearances here.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:12 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
dont...........do..........it.........

Old 10-21-2015, 03:03 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,154 times
Quote:
Keep the advice coming. It usually is something I haven't thought of then I go down that avenue for more research haha.

Yes, if I had my choice I'd stay in ATL. I very much enjoy it, and can't say anything bad about it. However, I want to roll with this opportunity. If I could stay here I would, but the same chance isn't available.

Thanks for the comment regarding the money, as I had done some research on ATL vs the NE, and hadn't gotten around to doing that for Miami vs ATL yet, and figured no way it could be as bad.

This might seem like a silly question, but why does FL seem to have such severe splits as far as income? It seems either very poor or pretty well off. Is this the correct perception, and can someone shed some light on why this is?

North Florida is the poor part of Florida, especially North Central Florida, there is a lot of country people who reside in small towns, Lake City might be your biggest city in that area or Gainesville. Yea Gainesville might be the premier city of North Central Florida with the University of Florida located there.

Why it is, is because of location as the further you go south just as in the U.S. it gets warmer, you start to see Royal and Coconut Palms, Gulfstream waters, with an overall tropical feel. People want to reside in warm weather and beautiful tropical waters than a big land mass in North Central Florida.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Are you from NY according to your screen name? I hope not for you to claim that Atlanta is more urban than Miami. Somebody who is from NYC would know the difference as to what is "Urban" and what isn't!
You cannot compare the urbanity of Miami to Atlanta. Buckhead which is in the city of Atlanta reminds me of Kendall which is a suburb of Miami.

The OP is a single young male with a decent salary and will be travelling out of Miami for his job. He is not trying to relive your experience in SE Florida while you lived there.
Again, it's about perspective bud. It makes sense for all of us to share our experiences with the OP. Why else would he come and ask about Miami? Especially having lived in different places in my lifetime, I feel comfortable to opine on Miami/South Florida. Aside from selling the beach and hot humid weather, what else have you brought to the table?

And yes, I'm from NY. I lived in NY, FL, GA and Europe. Read. It helps. And yes, the city of Atlanta is more urban than Miami. You seem to be confused about the word urban and keep getting emotional about Miami. You have no clue of Buckhead. Do you know Midtown? VA Higlands? Castleberry Hill? Grant Park? Piedmont? L5P? Lake Claire? EAV? Downtown Decatur? Help me school you some more.
Where do you go when in Atlanta? I'm sure some outskirt by mentioning Buckhead so often. I'm sure you've crossed through through Powers Ferry Rd, which does have some rather gorgeous homes (Buckhead), and want to keep mentioning its gorgeous homes . Your age will help me determine what you're understanding as urban. You're all over the place with your nonsense.

While, I may be older than the OP, I think living in GA now and having lived in Florida allows me some flexibility for advice. I explained to the OP how we lived in both places, gave cost advice etc. I offered valued opinions, not just selling people on fake dreams (like the beach and the sun). Who does that everyday? Unless you're both professional surfers or life guards, how do these things bring value to the OP? It rains more often during the year down there anyways. Gotta find a second gig for all that fun and sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldl5112 View Post
Believe me, it's accurate. There's an ad for cosmetic surgery during almost every other radio commercial break, billboards for cosmetic surgery everywhere, and women dress like they're on their way to a dance club as their everyday clothing. The "weather girls" on the daily news on just about every Miami-area TV station look professional alright, but professional as in call girls, not professional meteorologists. Everywhere you look, there's a Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, McLaren, etc. (and half of them are rented, lol). Miami is not a place where people go to show how intelligent they are or to make friends, it's where they go to show how much money they make and what they've spent it on, even if they've got to create an illusion.

Let me put it this way: There are multiple Porsches, Range Rovers, BMWs, and Mercedes in the resident parking garage of my apartment complex, not to mention a classic 1950s Corvette and a Maserati. And these aren't even property owners or residents in one of the really high-end buildings in Miami. It is ALL about appearances here.
Listen to him!! He's right. Every fool down there feels they have to get the latest and greatest to have a sense of worth. Not where intelligent and progressive minds want to be. Not to say there aren't intelligent people down there, but you'll meet more money and image obsessed fools in Miami than any other place. I feel for what it is and has, it's a bit worse than L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
North Florida is the poor part of Florida, especially North Central Florida, there is a lot of country people who reside in small towns, Lake City might be your biggest city in that area or Gainesville. Yea Gainesville might be the premier city of North Central Florida with the University of Florida located there.

Why it is, is because of location as the further you go south just as in the U.S. it gets warmer, you start to see Royal and Coconut Palms, Gulfstream waters, with an overall tropical feel. People want to reside in warm weather and beautiful tropical waters than a big land mass in North Central Florida.
OK. Perry335654, please explain to me how Royal and Coconut palms, Gulfstream water help make life there better, when most of the people can't even afford to put these trees (full grown) on their properties?

How do these things advance careers and make life better? How they justify the cost of living? I can get online and look at all the trees there are, and aside from a nice visual, what else is there?

Ok, You have South Beach, but that place is inhabited by flashy fake rich youngsters, mixed with some money, and thugs partying? It's mostly a tourist area, and where locals want to party and get high without being chastised. Also, after a while, it gets old fast. How many in their mid 30s to early 40s, that have a life (family, career, kids, activities) care about South Beach? or Even bother going? Just asking.

How does that work for the average intellectual that wants to move there and prosper?
I'm not being rude. I just want a logical explanation, how trees and waters make it worthwhile for the OP?
Aside from career advancement (or suicide), what can you tell the OP, to sell him on Miami? (Without Trees)

Let's talk about these few criterion here and explain how the following 3 things make Miami a good deal for a young professional, like the OP.

* COST OF LIVING (Let's compare what you're getting versus what you're getting paid)
* PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT (Educated work force. Compare Miami to NY, TX, DC and Atlanta)
* HOUSING COST (Show the OP where he can find something that may compare with what he pays for in Atlanta)

Then you can sell the whole Palm trees things and clear water thing to him. I'm sure he can do all that while vacationing there.

Just curious, are you a landscaper? Just asking.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:30 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
You will be in for a bit of a culture shock, but if you're open-minded and able to "roll with the punches" you'll be fine. You don't necessarily need Spanish to live in Miami, tho it's helpful.

The gym situation is.....well, it's Miami. We're pretty good-looking people and we care about that stuff, so there are no shortages of gyms.

I wouldn't recommend Doral for a single white male in his 20s.
Doral, while nice is basically exclusively Venezuelan. Not that that's bad, but it's all families....of Venezuelan background...you're not gonna have a lot in common with them.
Also, it is very "cookie cutter" suburban feel to it. There's nothing to do out there. You're by the Turnpike and traffic is awful and it's just blahhh. Again, not a bad area, but there are other great areas in which to live.

Coconut Grove
Coral Gables
Brickell
Dadeland area
Eastern parts of Kendall and Pinecrest
Miami Lakes (perhaps)

Any of the beach towns will suck in the sense that getting to the airport will be nightmarish. Great towns, but commute will suck to airport. Traffic is definitely something to consider. The dolphin expressway as well as the Palmetto expressway are typically jammed and guess where they run by? The airport! So you'll wanna live somewhere near by as to be able to avoid those freeways.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
My answers are highlighted for you.

Quote:

I can understand where you're coming from by taking advantage of this opportunity. If it's going to advance your career, by all means do it. You only live once. However, if there are other places in the NE that offer the same opportunity, I'd take it. It would be less of a culture shock. I'm not sure where you're from (native of GA or else where). You can give it a try. You may find that it's not for you short term or long term. Only, you know that.

Atlanta is a bargain for what you're getting in terms of quality of life. Miami vs Atlanta will be about a 10-15% increase in living. Considering you're comparing Atlanta itself versus Miami which is broad. If you lived in the outskirts of Atlanta, the cost difference is higher. AIER.ORG will also be helpful.

This might seem like a silly question, but why does FL seem to have such severe splits as far as income? It seems either very poor or pretty well off. Is this the correct perception, and can someone shed some light on why this is? Like most places in the US, there are income disparities. But Miami tends to offer little for what you make. It's a personal issue for you to want to move there. You'll realize that Miami has one of the highest rentals in the nation, and worse affordability ratio. If you plan on living here, buying may work out for you. But anything less than 5 years, you're wasting your hard earned cash. Home ownership down there is expensive. Property taxes are high, and so are home owner's insurance and most HOAs. Miami also has a lot of jobs in service industries and telemarketing. They don't pay much.
Read here.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/bu...able.html?_r=0

That's something you'll clearly see for yourself. Try your best to surround yourself with people that aren't like that. They do exist in South Fla. But that beach and Brickell life will soon show you the superficial idiots that reside there. Don't give the suburbs a pass either. Same nonsense, with a suburban twist. You'll see. People are very superficial but there are exceptions. You may not find as many down to earth people in your professional circle, but again there are exceptions. Always, exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami