Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:22 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times

Advertisements

Walking in front of a housing project is not the same as walking in a middle class suburb! How many people in upscale Jersey suburbs run into traffic to avoid getting attacked?? Not many. This is NOT normal, this is abnormal. As you stated in your post, it happens "everywhere", but at least when you refer to everywhere, you are referring to a section of a city, a housing project or a neighborhood. Here it happens even in the "good areas."

Old 02-07-2008, 04:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
A friend of mine was robbed a month ago in Williamsburg which is the new "it" spot in Brooklyn. I have friends who were also stuck up near Clinton Hill which a very nice area in Brooklyn. Again you guys need to travel more, it happens EVERY WHERE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Walking in front of a housing project is not the same as walking in a middle class suburb! How many people in upscale Jersey suburbs run into traffic to avoid getting attacked?? Not many. This is NOT normal, this is abnormal. As you stated in your post, it happens "everywhere", but at least when you refer to everywhere, you are referring to a section of a city, a housing project or a neighborhood. Here it happens even in the "good areas."

Old 02-07-2008, 04:56 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
my friend, the irony is killing me. this topic was made specifically to address what you're doing in this very moment. i know it may seem difficult, but which subforum are you in? last i checked it said miami, so why is it so difficult for you to understand we are discussing miami and miami's issues. everything you mention about new york and new jersey are completely off forum, not even off topic.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Someone on the first page said "or maybe they have seen worst" in terms of explaining why people do what it is you were complaining about in your OP. I in turn addressed that, which is part of the topic. If you applied reading comprehension skills and followed your own thread, from beginning to end, you would see how this flows into the topic being discussed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
my friend, the irony is killing me. this topic was made specifically to address what you're doing in this very moment. i know it may seem difficult, but which subforum are you in? last i checked it said miami, so why is it so difficult for you to understand we are discussing miami and miami's issues. everything you mention about new york and new jersey are completely off forum, not even off topic.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Brooklyn isn't known for being a safe middle class city like Miramar is. I need to get myself a pair of those rose colored sunglasses and repeat the mantra that this must happen even in Scranton Pennsylvania, and then it will make me feel better LOL.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 AM

546 posts, read 2,147,282 times
Quote:
Brooklyn isn't known for being a safe middle class city like Miramar is. I need to get myself a pair of those rose colored sunglasses and repeat the mantra that this must happen even in Scranton Pennsylvania, and then it will make me feel better LOL.

Actually a worse incident happened in amish country in western Pennsylvania when a large group of children were shot to death in their own school about a year ago. So yeah, it does even happen in Pennsylvania.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:21 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
I don't know what kind of glasses you must be wearing right now, becuase you are portraying Miramar to be this idyllic picturesque suburb with a bulletproof reputation for safety. First of all, east Miramar is flat out ghetto, and I bet that's where this incident occurred. I doubt this kid was walking down Dykes Road and got robbed. Second of all, some of the nice areas are a mile from Opa Locka and Miami Gardens. You need to stay west of 75 before your in the "good part", third of all, before you go to the "see what I mean, you are never far from a ghetto in South Florida", go north of Miramar and drive down Palm Abe/Nob Hill Road from said Miramar to Parkland. Tell me how many ghettos you see on that several mile trip. Assuming your west of University Drive, you are pretty far from a ghetto there. In most major cities, the core is crappy and safe areas are in surrounding areas or counties. The only differences between South Florida (including Miami) and the other 10 largest metro areas is that is has more of a Hispanic population, the layout is more vertical than horizontal or spread out, and it has an abnormally large amount of malcontents whining about rude people and crime on City-data.com and [domain blocked due to spam].net, when said city is statistically no worse than other similar sized areas, although only in South Florida would someone give the response of "I don't care, it still sucks here". Bottom line is people coming and going so quickly is exactly what is wrong with this place and what causes people to come and go in the first place, and the problems here are economic, and although there are plenty of nasty social problems that need to be tackled, they truly weigh in a similar way to other cities although our problems to happen to be unique.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't know what kind of glasses you must be wearing right now, becuase you are portraying Miramar to be this idyllic picturesque suburb with a bulletproof reputation for safety. First of all, east Miramar is flat out ghetto, and I bet that's where this incident occurred. I doubt this kid was walking down Dykes Road and got robbed. Second of all, some of the nice areas are a mile from Opa Locka and Miami Gardens. You need to stay west of 75 before your in the "good part", third of all, before you go to the "see what I mean, you are never far from a ghetto in South Florida", go north of Miramar and drive down Palm Abe/Nob Hill Road from said Miramar to Parkland. Tell me how many ghettos you see on that several mile trip. Assuming your west of University Drive, you are pretty far from a ghetto there. In most major cities, the core is crappy and safe areas are in surrounding areas or counties. The only differences between South Florida (including Miami) and the other 10 largest metro areas is that is has more of a Hispanic population, the layout is more vertical than horizontal or spread out, and it has an abnormally large amount of malcontents whining about rude people and crime on City-data.com and [domain blocked due to spam].net, when said city is statistically no worse than other similar sized areas, although only in South Florida would someone give the response of "I don't care, it still sucks here". Bottom line is people coming and going so quickly is exactly what is wrong with this place and what causes people to come and go in the first place, and the problems here are economic, and although there are plenty of nasty social problems that need to be tackled, they truly weigh in a similar way to other cities although our problems to happen to be unique.
co-sign great post

Old 02-08-2008, 03:29 PM

An isolated story of a mass killing in an Amish school that rocked the Nation is not that same as run of the mill yet serious crime in middle class suburbs of Miami.

In Broward there are ghettos just to the east of the area that was mentioned, all along the I 95 corridor, so you may drive north on 1-75 and the Sawgrass and not see a ghetto but it is there lurking 5 miles to the east and it parallels the upscale western communites, which is why it penetrates even the good areas here.

You are portraying Miramar as a ghetto when in fact it is a highly sought after community by MIAMI standards. Yes it would suck anywhere outside of South Florida, that is the point of my posts about the Miami area. What is good here is all relative, if Miramar were a suburb of NYC it would be a ghetto. Here it is a "nice, middle-class area". I have said time and time again that even our "nice" areas are ghetto like despite having half a million dollar homes in them. OK, back to the rose colored glasses again...oh and there are palm trees there too that make it look nice??? I guess I need a new prescriptionnow that was the best they could muster up.

Keep telling yourself that this happens in Scranton LOL.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
An isolated story of a mass killing in an Amish school that rocked the Nation is not that same as run of the mill yet serious crime in middle class suburbs of Miami.

In Broward there are ghettos just to the east of the area that was mentioned, all along the I 95 corridor, so you may drive north on 1-75 and the Sawgrass and not see a ghetto but it is there lurking 5 miles to the east and it parallels the upscale western communites, which is why it penetrates even the good areas here.

You are portraying Miramar as a ghetto when in fact it is a highly sought after community by MIAMI standards. Yes it would suck anywhere outside of South Florida, that is the point of my posts about the Miami area. What is good here is all relative, if Miramar were a suburb of NYC it would be a ghetto. Here it is a "nice, middle-class area". I have said time and time again that even out "nice" areas are ghetto like despite have half million dollar homes in them. OK, back to the rose colored glasses again...oh and there are palm trees there too LOL
Of course it is by Miami standards, parts anyway. I'm sure to people in parts of Queens, Elmont Long Island is pretty sought after too. And "ghettos lurking to the east" is a bit of an exaggeration. Inconsistent? Yes. Also, I named Nob Hill Rd because there ARENT ghettos directly to the east, you need to go a couple miles further to University Drive for the inconsistency to begin, which is the real dividing line, and even east of there, you have to go quite a bit east to get into the "real" ghetto. Every metro area has a dividing line...and it's better than having your ghettos plastered all over the place like Orlando and Atlanta.

To me, and by Broward standards (yes it borders on Dade and a lot of people here commute there) parts of Miramar are desirable and parts are not. I think if you placed that city anywhere else they might have a similar view. Yes I know it's a rosy Weston perspective (which is more middle class than you think, it just happens to be newer and well kept) but if I lived in a more "normal" community like Davie or Coral Springs or even Sunrise or North Lauderdale I would probably have the same opinion, "parts are nice".

Also, if you are looking for an issue to pick on, how about that guy they found dead in his apartment in Miramar? Miramar has had a surge in murder over the past couple of years, mostly on the crummy east side. And yes, some guy got murdered in Coral Springs the other day too. That still doesn't make it common. Even bubbly, always top 10 safest Mission Viejo, CA in Orange County has a murder or two most years, to cite a similar example.

Oh, and by the way, robberies really do occur everywhere. Miramar's crime rate has not exceeded the national average. Just because the crime rate is lower than average does not mean there is no robbery, and that's what you can't seem to grasp. Unless you live on the ghetto east side I don't think you have to "live in fear" there although yes there is a chance you might get robbed like most other suburbs of a major city. I would be more worried about car burglars any how, which ARE common even in *Gasp* Weston and any other community, but your risk of being victimized is still lower compared to other areas.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-08-2008 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami