Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:12 PM

41 posts, read 38,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgator View Post
^^^
Agree. The thing about Portuguese, is that in addition to having the European and Brazilian variety, within Brazil you have various different accents that make it hard to even native speakers from other regions to pick up.

Thus for any one who is already a Spanish speaker and interested in learning Portuguese, I would recommend that one concentrate on pronunciation and on getting used to the sounds that native speakers make when talking. Portuguese sounds real different from Spanish when being spoken by native speakers!

For those of you who speak Spanish, there is a video on Youtube, 'O mundo segundo os brasileiros - Miami', watch it and try to see how much of what is being said you can pick up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOJx4K5YlU
Well, at this point I can understand almost everything said on this video. i would say 95 percent. That's because I have been studying Portuguese on my own for over two years. Not to boast but I can also speak it pretty decently, with the correct pronunciation and all. Of course, I slip up from time to time and say a Portuguese word like I would in Spanish but I do pretty ok most of the time with the language. Speaking is always the most difficult part for both Portuguese and Spanish speakers when it comes to the other language. Portuguese speakers, however, have a few advantages over us Hispanics. Number one, Spanish is everywhere and if they live in the US, they will have ample opportunities to practice their Spanish with Hispanics. Number two, Spanish is phonetically easier for Portuguese speakers due to its limited amount of sounds in comparison to Portuguese, which leads to Lusophones having an easier time with Spanish than the other way around. It's much easier for them to pick up Spanish than it is for Hispanics to pick up Portuguese. I must say, I have always envied the amount of Portuguese and Brazilians I have seen over the years that have been trilingual in Portuguese, English and Spanish while your average Hispanic is barely bilingual and many times, mostly monolingual. This is part of what gave me the incentive to learn Portuguese in the first place.

Last edited by johnny0881; 02-16-2016 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:18 AM

183 posts, read 268,535 times
never liked portuguese, id rather speak french or italian

Old 03-13-2016, 03:36 PM

44 posts, read 129,820 times
excuses! there are MANY successful people that speak with horrible accents. Stop limiting yourself. Having an accent is not a determinant factor towards success. Only the uneducated will care that you have it.

Go listen to Emilio Stefan or Gloria Stefan's interviews......or even Jorge Perez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami