Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:07 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times

Advertisements

I specified the MIDDLE CLAS SUBURBS of Scranton...or any neighborhood in where homes go for 400,000K! Yet the school, with no bussing programs has that 43% poverty rating. It is relative, for Miami it is middle class. You would not see that in a neighborhood with 400K homes in Scranton. You have reitereated my point through your statistics that the "nice" Miami areas would be the ghettos areas in other cities. The problems, crime and chaos is concentrated to small areas in other cities, whereas in Miami it is widespread. I stick to what I have said and am glad your statistics back me up.

Be careful Compelled, you are coming down with the Miami fever, the only cure for it is the rose colored sun glasses! Although I do take my hat off to you for not denying the problems...so I think our online counseling sessions are brining us closer to agreement on some issues LOL. All I can say is, I would rather live in Miami than Scranton!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
there really is no winning with these people chelito; forget it.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I specified the MIDDLE CLAS SUBURBS of Scranton...or any neighborhood in where homes go for 400,000K! Yet the school, with no bussing programs has that 43% poverty rating. It is relative, for Miami it is middle class. You would not see that in a neighborhood with 400K homes in Scranton. You have reitereated my point through your statistics that the "nice" Miami areas would be the ghettos areas in other cities. The problems, crime and chaos is concentrated to small areas in other cities, whereas in Miami it is widespread. I stick to what I have said and am glad your statistics back me up.

Be careful Compelled, you are coming down with the Miami fever, the only cure for it is the rose colored sun glasses! Although I do take my hat off to you for not denying the problems...so I think our online counseling sessions are brining us closer to agreement on some issues LOL. All I can say is, I would rather live in Miami than Scranton!!!!
Miami fever? How much do you think a 2,000 square foot house costs around here where I am? Older ones (in good neighborhoods) getting into the upper twos man and the 400 grand gets you a newer home on a quarter acre and a pool (this is in WESTON, and I posted some examples on another past post). If the prices aren't declining up there, then I don't understand that considering that sans an overcrowded high school, this could actually be considered a desirable community...and no, I don't know anyone who considers east Miramar desirable. West Miramar? Yes, because it is. That half of the city has decent school districts, is very ethnically diverse and doesn't show up in the Herald police report for much.

Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Weston, Davie are vast areas with at least 250+ thousand people with homes like the ones shown below for the 400s (still overpriced to me, it will come down) that could probably be considered nice by most people, and they are closer to downtown Miami than parts of South Dade. So much for "third world".

Single Family Home - 16445 Sapphire Pl, Weston, FL, 33331 - Realtor.com
Official news-Anyone who buys a 400 thousand dollar home with burglar bars and a paved lawn in Sweetwater is a moron.

LOL at the last paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
there really is no winning with these people chelito; forget it.
Ok, you won.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-08-2008 at 06:29 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
I think you will see more and more gentrification in Miami. The wealthy people will keep pushing the poor people out as we have already seen in parts of Miami. They will bulldoze over these dilapidated neighborhoods and put up more condominiums and expensive housing. They the wealthy will keep pushing the poor as well as the middle-class out of Miami There is just not enough well-paying jobs commensurate to the rents and mortgages that are to survive the cost of living here. Yes ,Miami will have a Third-world economy with nothing but rich and poor but I will predict this will spread upward into Broward and Palm Beach Counties unless thing start changing drastically.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
Sweetwater is in the Braddock Sr. High District....but yes, Westchester is overpriced, but it is not anymore ghetto than any of the other middle class areas. Miami is overpriced...even the ghettos. This is why people complain, because it is so overpriced for what it is.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Sweetwater is in the Braddock Sr. High District....but yes, Westchester is overpriced, but it is not anymore ghetto than any of the other middle class areas. Miami is overpriced...even the ghettos. This is why people complain, because it is so overpriced for what it is.
Single Family Home - 1320 SW 72 Av, Miami, FL, 33144 - Realtor.com

Wow, just wow. Hmm, lets see, paved yard and burglar bars for 360, or an extra 1000 square feet, tree lined streets, safe neighborhoods, and good schools exchanged for an extra 20 minutes in commute downtown for Cooper City. Wow.

Single Family Home - 4995 SW 89Th Av, Cooper City, FL, 33328 - Realtor.com

Wow....

Yeah, you win, LOL! If you were speaking exclusively for Miami than I don't really disagree with your posts. I thought the price correction was making it's way through Dade too...apparently it isn't if you can go 30 minutes away and actually get a decent house in a nice neighborhood for the same price...I also saw some newer homes of similar size without the nice plot of land or golf course view...

Well, if I see that house fall down into the 200s (210 would be optimal), I guess theres at least some hope left for Broward...the difference between Sweetwater and Cooper City is that Cooper City could be considered a nice place to live by national standards...in fact it got ranked one of the top 10 best family cities in the country. Price correction is what's going to keep Broward and Palm Beach County from sinking deeper than it is right now and restore economic interest, but will it happen?

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-08-2008 at 09:38 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d40372 View Post
It's nearly impossible for the lower-to-middle middle class to purchase a home here. Throw in the factors of a wasteful, corrupt local government and a slipshod infrastructure, and it's easy to see why those who have the insight and the means to do so are getting out.
This is different from New York City how? Yet plenty of people still want to live there, despite the snow, $12 movie tickets, government corruption that makes us look like angels, even higher taxes, and the knowledge they will forever be renters.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
This is different from New York City how? Yet plenty of people still want to live there, despite the snow, $12 movie tickets, government corruption that makes us look like angels, even higher taxes, and the knowledge they will forever be renters.
Perhaps they earn more in NYC and do not have to spend money on cars, fuel etc? I can tell you, I am baffled how a house could stuff 5 bedrooms and 3 baths in less than 1500 square feet. My home is 1800 sq feet, 3 bedrooms 2 baths and it feels cramped. That paved yard reminds me of what surrounds where my parents live. Really disgusting, and should not be selling for over 150,000. That area is dumpy and ugly. I agree, Cooper City is a step up from Flagami.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I took some time to look through the Realtor site of Miami listings, and I was shocked. They are still asking 50% more than what those places are worth. Not one of those properties are to my taste. What fool would buy a 50+ year old home that brand new sold for under 10,000 for 300,000 or more? Those places are dumps, for lower income families. Anyone who believes that Miami real estate is priced right today is really dreaming. Miami-Dade county has a long way to fall in property values.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I took some time to look through the Realtor site of Miami listings, and I was shocked. They are still asking 50% more than what those places are worth. Not one of those properties are to my taste. What fool would buy a 50+ year old home that brand new sold for under 10,000 for 300,000 or more? Those places are dumps, for lower income families. Anyone who believes that Miami real estate is priced right today is really dreaming. Miami-Dade county has a long way to fall in property values.
I just can't believe it's not falling down there yet. I'm starting to see some homes like that (the Cooper City one, I don't even think we have houses like the Miami one) fall into the upper twos here. I think it might have to do with the social structure. Broward is all around dropping population right now (overpriced and underpaid people) and Dade is still gaining new immigrants. You can still get a good life in all three of the main counties (more choices in the upper two), but the problem is how attainable it is compared to other areas of the country. Theres no positive economic force that drove the prices up (like in say San Francisco where you make 10 dollars an hour flipping burgers versus 7 here). The video presents exactly what is happening here, and SOMETHING doesn't happen after this foreclosure thing is done, the other quality of life factors will keep on declining.

The problem is I don't know where looks better...sure, some places are better temporarily, then people discover them, politicians don't plan for the newcomers, and you have another timebomb U.S. city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami