Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:47 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotsen View Post
In many occasions I have been to Davie, FL and I have felt miserable because people notice English is not my first language and talk down on me, or turn a cold shoulder. That, as far as I know it's called hate and/or segregation ? which should not exist anymore in this country. At least I give it shot and I consider myself one of the few who refuses to speak spanish in Miami-Dade, trust me, it is like mission impossible lol.

greetings.
Maybe you encountered some idiot once but to say that they "talk down on you in you in many occasions?" I don't believe it. Not even if you went around speaking Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:34 AM

426 posts, read 394,263 times
Davie was a KKK town decades ago, but they were gone decades ago. They were poor people and that area has improved a lot.

Kind of Porky's town back then.

Last edited by Krokodill; 03-05-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 02:25 PM

167 posts, read 246,609 times
I've noticed the people who dislike Miami are the Floridans who are used to the old, no big major area having Florida. And people who somehow are still ignorant to the fact that Palm Beach, Broward and Dade make up the Miami metropolitan area and that Miami is the big city so OF COURSE it's going to have big city things that some people dislike and it's going to be different than the burbs. Other than that everyone I know likes Miami and it's area.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Usually it's the central and northern Floridians that hate on Miami. "too much traffic" "it's north cuba" "It's a 3rd world country" and on and on . . . . when in reality, Miami makes them uncomfortable because culturally it's not white or "american" feeling to them. That's the real reason they hate on it
Umm actually, I'm Cuban and a lot of the reasons they hate for it are valid and not that they're "uncomfortable" with it. I have a friend, African-American, Georgia native, and she hates Miami and one of them is she says Cubans, particularly white Cubans, are extremely racist to black Americans. I sadly agree, at least for older Cuban born generations. my mom completely freaked out when she came to visit one day, because I told her I had invited a friend over to watch a movie, and she didn't expect her to be black. My older relatives hold lots of negative stereotypes about black people.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think OptimusPrime69 is correct that people hate it due to it's overly latin culture. I don't see anything wrong with disliking it for that reason, though. It has a culture that is unique to itself and different from other places. People have preferences and it's all good. There is no doubt that much of Miami is dirtier and more 3rd world feeling than it's neighbors. It has it's stunning areas, of course, but a much more stark contrast between the good and bad.
The "Latin culture" itself is still very different from Latin culture in the actual Latin American countries. I have a cousin who recently came from Cuba, and says Miami has lots of rude people. I asked her if its the same in Cuba, she said no, everyone's friendly and nice. Miami creates a new Americanised version of Latin American culture. That only goes for Cuba though, can't vouch on other countries.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Does Miami get a lot of hate from the rest of Florida? I think the better question is: Does Miami care?

Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Does Miami get a lot of hate from the rest of Florida? I think the better question is: Does Miami care?
Yeah we don't care, they are gonna hate us anyway because of our large Hispanic population.

Reality is most people here are not even aware of the existence of the rest of the state. There is not much to see in other parts of the state anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU

Old 03-12-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Yeah we don't care, they are gonna hate us anyway because of our large Hispanic population.

Reality is most people here are not even aware of the existence of the rest of the state. There is not much to see in other parts of the state anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU
And that attitude is why some people don't like Miami. Has nothing to do with large Hispanic populations (how many people dislike San Antonio and San Diego versus Miami?) Miami sadly has lots of arrogant stuck up people. Ignorance of the rest of the state is not something to be proud of. There's tons of beauty in other parts of Florida, you're acting like Miami is like an oasis in a desert of nothing. Tons of cute beach towns, nice small towns, amusement parks, historic sites, lots of nature on the coast and inland. So many natural springs to swim in, might I add. Florida offers more than nightclubs, buddy. Cape friggin' Canaveral, for starters.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:56 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
there are rivalries in many states and in this country.....metro NY'ers don't really have a problem with upstate NY (many have getaway or second homes 'up' there) but many upstate NY'ers hate metro NY'ers (liberal v. conservative, urban/rural). When I lived in the SF Bay Area, many Northern Californians I met looked down on and outright hated their neighbors in So. California....there is a definite rift between urban and rural as well as in this country--some cities/states on the Coasts vs. the "flyover states" (Chicago, a city, being an exception)--i.e. blue state v. red state. Florida is really a combination of the entire country in one state....heck, in Cuba people living in Havana look down on those from Santiago de Cuba; in Brazil, people from SP look down on people from Rio, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-12-2016 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 08:34 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Cubans consider themselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Usually it's the central and northern Floridians that hate on Miami. "too much traffic" "it's north cuba" "It's a 3rd world country" and on and on . . . . when in reality, Miami makes them uncomfortable because culturally it's not white or "american" feeling to them. That's the real reason they hate on it
Aren't Cubans White? They're not WASP in look or culture (there are a few exceptions) but they are White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami