Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:55 PM

892 posts, read 859,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is Miami Beach only two blocks or something? I would have thought that maybe there were different localized conditions within Miami Beach itself because it seemed like there were different neighborhoods when I was there and some further from the coast than others.

We're talking about a difference of a couple to a few inches--those few inches drastically change your outcome depending on what elevation your property is and what flood proof engineering has been done for the infrastructure in your neighborhood. The article can both be correct (for those who are unlucky) and overblown (for those who aren't unlucky).
Miami Beach is not big, in fact it's very small. South Beach, at it's fattest point, is 13 blocks.

The only flooding I see here is during heavy rain where some streets have small concave curvature, accumulate water instead of draining it away. The drainage here is somewhat bad, but Miami Beach is always improving it.

I've seen much worse flooding in Miami, in fact they have garages that warn you from parking on certain floors during heavy rain. As does other, non-Miami cities like Houston.

The article is yellow journalism meant to grab readers. Miami will always have problems with flooding, like any coastal city, but nothing to that scale in our lifetimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 PM

892 posts, read 859,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
I actually like those users' posts. CD is in need of Miami boosters. Maybe I just say that b/c i have a huge crush on Miami. If that's you Majami try not to get banned.
Met 3 New Yorkers today, all of them were complaining about not being able to make money in this city. To me it's sad this economy is the way it's here that so many young professionals (unless they are in the medical industry or something like that) are priced out.

Today was one of those Miami magical days you can never experience in Los Angeles or any other US city - beautiful azul waters like a postcard. The kind of color water when you see on a brochure you think is enhanced through photoshop.

And here I'm enjoying my bottle of wine, on my balcony on the 31st floor overlooking Miami. The ocean seems just a flat black, you can't differentiate it from the sky except I see a cruise ship with lights slowly running through the water.

I walk across my balcony to the other side facing Miami instead of the ocean, and I see the Miami city lights, I see a building telling me it's 72 F at 12:08am, and the wind off the ocean feels heavenly. The different buildings, all colored up at night with the beautiful city lights below me remind of me the times I'd go to griffith park in LA. Which reminds me, highrise living. Only 3 cities in the USA has many options and those are

1)NYC
2)Chicago
3)Miami

I love all those cities, but when you swim in azul waters in February, I just couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the USA.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 PM

471 posts, read 620,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherATL View Post
My husband and I are considering investing in real eatate in Miami. It's hard not see all the sea level rise news stories on a seemingly daily basis. Do any of you living there worry about this? Have you noticed rising mortgage insurance?

I just wanted to get some local perspective before we dig in.

Thanks!

Miami's real estate is overpriced and Miami Beach is going to go underwater in the next 25 years. Population will hit 10 billions in 10 years and that is a lot of CO2 being released to the atmosphere.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Met 3 New Yorkers today, all of them were complaining about not being able to make money in this city. To me it's sad this economy is the way it's here that so many young professionals (unless they are in the medical industry or something like that) are priced out.

Today was one of those Miami magical days you can never experience in Los Angeles or any other US city - beautiful azul waters like a postcard. The kind of color water when you see on a brochure you think is enhanced through photoshop.

And here I'm enjoying my bottle of wine, on my balcony on the 31st floor overlooking Miami. The ocean seems just a flat black, you can't differentiate it from the sky except I see a cruise ship with lights slowly running through the water.

I walk across my balcony to the other side facing Miami instead of the ocean, and I see the Miami city lights, I see a building telling me it's 72 F at 12:08am, and the wind off the ocean feels heavenly. The different buildings, all colored up at night with the beautiful city lights below me remind of me the times I'd go to griffith park in LA. Which reminds me, highrise living. Only 3 cities in the USA has many options and those are

1)NYC
2)Chicago
3)Miami

I love all those cities, but when you swim in azul waters in February, I just couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the USA.
Sounds like a dream. Enjoy brother, I'll make it down there eventually.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:38 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Stop it already, you're making me jealous!...only 4 more weeks until my return visit to SoBe.

I'm an ex NY'er and we complain about everything...you hit my fave 3 US cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post

1)NYC
2)Chicago
3)Miami

Old 02-25-2016, 03:52 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
EYE ON MIAMI: WLRN: A serious look at sea level rise in low-lying South Florida ... by gimleteye

Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Can Miami Beach survive climate change? - CNN.com

Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherATL View Post
My husband and I are considering investing in real eatate in Miami. It's hard not see all the sea level rise news stories on a seemingly daily basis. Do any of you living there worry about this? Have you noticed rising mortgage insurance?

I just wanted to get some local perspective before we dig in.

Thanks!
Check on whether you are in a flood zone. The FEMA subsidies are still in effect, but when they go away, flood insurance will be very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami