U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 PM

6,704 posts, read 10,830,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Miami is second to New York in Financial banking,I harldy call that a third-world city. I would say corruption is in all big city government to some degree from what I've read on other forums. I see a lot of urban planning going on in Miami,it just that you have to change the mentality of people's thinking in using public transportation and less reliance on a car.
I think it would be a good idea to try to draw multinational corporations here that paid good salaries. It would depend on the educational level of this city and how much growh we can afford to have in an already crammed city with the parameters very limited unless we become more urbanized
Miami is second to NYC in financial banking? I highly doubt that. North Carolina holds that spot I thought. They have wacovia, Bank of America and a number of other of America's top banks HQ there. I would like to see proof of this one. If I am wrong that would be cool too, just means I learned something new today

as for urban planning, Urban planning is the design or lay out of a city as put together by the city planners. So every city has urban planning, but is that urban planning SOUND? Not so in Miami, given its extremely poor public transportation and urban sprawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Wild Style again ... but this is an excellent point. Miami, along with all of South Florida, needs honest, intelligent and aggressive leadership to rise above what it is now. With a population base of almost 2.5 million in Miami-Dade and almost 6 million in the region as a whole, there should be a few good leaders out there (though it's obvious they have yet to emerge in Miami-Dade or Broward).
thx man. I wish Bloomberg would move down here and become mayor. As much as a hate Guliani, he could do somethings as well. He made life hard for many in NYC, but people can't deny he cleaned up a lot. Someone like either of those guys could really do Miami some good.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,991,662 times
Actually, I meant to say international banking they are next to New York city. Miami is definitely the "Cruise Capital of the World"

Old 02-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Actually, I meant to say international banking they are next to New York city. Miami is definitely the "Cruise Capital of the World"
^^

I actually did hear that about the international banks. If I am not mistaken, they are banks that do business with Caribbean and Latin America. With that said, one sector with a hand full of banks downtown, does not, a world class city make.

Miami really needs to step its game up or it will end up back where it was in the 70s. I don't think a lot of people grasp how serious the economic sitaution is in America these days. These are make or break times for a lot of people and a lot of cities. If Miami doesn't find away to diversify, in a meaningful way, it will be stuck in a bad situation for some time to come.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 PM

439 posts, read 1,052,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^

I actually did hear that about the international banks. If I am not mistaken, they are banks that do business with Caribbean and Latin America. With that said, one sector with a hand full of banks downtown, does not, a world class city make.

Miami really needs to step its game up or it will end up back where it was in the 70s. I don't think a lot of people grasp how serious the economic sitaution is in America these days. These are make or break times for a lot of people and a lot of cities. If Miami doesn't find away to diversify, in a meaningful way, it will be stuck in a bad situation for some time to come.

Kudos to you Wild Style ... you make smart and interesting posts

Old 02-09-2008, 09:51 PM

75,359 posts, read 36,523,712 times
Hrmm..what can I say. I lived in Miami Beach way back in the day when South Beach was nothing more then old crumbling hotels and apartments were full of retiree's from up north. Woolworth's was the biggest named store on south beach. This was late 70's, early 80's. Then it got "discovered" and was never the same since.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 3,663,481 times
Quote:
^^

Miami really needs to step its game up or it will end up back where it was in the 70s.
I could live with that. Less people, less traffic, less Spanish, less rude attitude. People giving away their excess fruit from their trees instead of selling it. Miami in the 70's was nice. You could buy a 1/3 acre of land on a lake for about 15k.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:18 PM

8,522 posts, read 16,527,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I could live with that. Less people, less traffic, less Spanish, less rude attitude. People giving away their excess fruit from their trees instead of selling it. Miami in the 70's was nice. You could buy a 1/3 acre of land on a lake for about 15k.
And there is no way we can return to the time when Miami was a fun, tropical place to live. They just want to make it a "big city". Affordable, often beautiful, and laid back. Comparing the Miami of yesterday to that of today is like comparing a swamp to a landfill.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
less money, less opportunities, less infrastructure. Backward is rarely the best route.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 PM

8,522 posts, read 16,527,132 times
Quote:
less money, less opportunities, less infrastructure. Backward is rarely the best route.
Less money, but it went a LOT farther. The infrastructure was more effective then than now. In the case of Miami, progress has decreased with time. Its peak was sometime in the 50's and has been downhill ever since. There were more opportunities as it was easier to start a business, and you could compete well, unlike today.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Less money, but it went a LOT farther. The infrastructure was more effective then than now. In the case of Miami, progress has decreased with time. Its peak was sometime in the 50's and has been downhill ever since. There were more opportunities as it was easier to start a business, and you could compete well, unlike today.
I have to take your word on that one. I am not originally from here so I don't know the history. That is truly unfortunate though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami