Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 4,516 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm 23m not finished college I want to move to Miami beach for a year.
I want to live like a young adult meaning I want to party have fun but I want to work pay my bills be responsible aswell. I think I can get 1600$ a month waiting tables etc but I have no job lined up.
My calculation are like this
800$ for a room
200$ for expenses, food bills etc.
That leaves me with give or take 600$ to playbwith
I know if I get a car or transportation is more obv
I want to live in a area where it's really close to the beach and hopefully next to bars restaurants etc.
Safety is important but I might have to sacrifice that (I'm from ny&#128514
I know Collins avenue is the hotspots but is thier any areas that are cheaper and close by to the beach/hot spots that would be easier to live in a far as rent etc.
please ANY advice thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 AM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
800$ for a room will only work if you're sharing a room with somebody. So bring a friend, or find a friend. If you cannot do that, 800$ will put you somewhere in the ghetto, far from the beach, and far from any Miami lifestyle you care to achieve.

You can always check CraigsList, see if anybody needs a roommate.

You will need about 1200-1400$ for a studio on Miami Beach is my estimation.

If you *can* find a person to split your expenses, I highly recommend the Flamingo. A young, beautiful crowd, parties and you'd probably be able to find a 2-bedroom on a bottom floor, without any sort of view for 1600-1800$, which split comes out to 800-900$ per person. That won't include utilities.

Your budget for food is incredibly small, and I just want to remind you partying in Miami Beach is expensive. You will be working and living in Miami Beach, but your partying will be consistent of staying at home and buying some beer. Which could be fun if you make many friends over at the Flamingo.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:49 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Commas. You need them.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Honesty, you want advice. Finish school. Don't move here unless you have a job lined up.

That's advice.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
You're out of your mind. Bad idea all around.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,292 times
Dont ask people what it is out there. go on Craiglist and look up to for rent. Look at jobs and what they pay.

Traffic is a big expense (gas) if you dont live near where you work a lot of gas and stress. Which is my main draw back of living in the 305.

The summer is extremely humid !!

I personally find it nicer to visit miami e a nyc job

Old 04-03-2016, 12:42 PM

71 posts, read 125,129 times
Default moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edennout333 View Post
Hello I'm 23m not finished college I want to move to Miami beach for a year.
I want to live like a young adult meaning I want to party have fun but I want to work pay my bills be responsible aswell. I think I can get 1600$ a month waiting tables etc but I have no job lined up.
My calculation are like this
800$ for a room
200$ for expenses, food bills etc.
That leaves me with give or take 600$ to playbwith
I know if I get a car or transportation is more obv
I want to live in a area where it's really close to the beach and hopefully next to bars restaurants etc.
Safety is important but I might have to sacrifice that (I'm from ny&#128514
I know Collins avenue is the hotspots but is thier any areas that are cheaper and close by to the beach/hot spots that would be easier to live in a far as rent etc.
please ANY advice thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Miami Beach is an area that people come from all over the world to visit. Its a vacation area and so all the prices are set for people on vacation. When you are on vacation from Europe, you don't really care how much you have to spend, so expect all prices, food, gasoline, housing, to be high.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:33 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Dude, finish school! So you are going to live in Miami for a year and not attend school?? That is a bad mistake. Schools are getting more expensive every year; Grants/financial aid are decreasing every year.

Finish school! Visit Miami during your vacation!

Old 04-04-2016, 07:52 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
What a waste of a year?
I mean u come down to Miami and party for a year? What? drink, do coke, and pick up STD's? lol.
I mean really? Like what do u actually get out of that? Besides wasting time and money. And let's be real here. Miami Beach/South Beach is soo tacky with cliched people trying to live "the life"... It's cute for tourists and visitors and all, but I mean to move here to party? Could u get any more cliched? You'll just end up leaving with a drug addiction and skin that resembles a leather bag.

Go for it. Sounds like a nightmare scenario, but hey...whatever floats your boat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by OptimusPrime69; 04-04-2016 at 08:02 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 AM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
What a waste of a year?
I mean u come down to Miami and party for a year? What? drink, do coke, and pick up STD's? lol.
I mean really? Like what do u actually get out of that? Besides wasting time and money. And let's be real here. Miami Beach/South Beach is soo tacky with cliched people trying to live "the life"... It's cute for tourists and visitors and all, but I mean to move here to party? Could u get any more cliched? You'll just end up leaving with a drug addiction and skin that resembles a leather bag.

Go for it. Sounds like a nightmare scenario, but hey...whatever floats your boat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He is 23 years old, he wants to get it out of his system, though I'd recommend Bangkok,Thailand over Miami for partying on a 'budget.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami