Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 AM

50 posts, read 304,619 times

Advertisements

I think Miami is at a cultural tipping point. The growth in the diversity and size of cultural endeavors is speeding up here. I have been here 10 years and am very impressed with the growth and availability of serious music, theatre and other live performances in the last two years.

First the obvious - the Arsht Center, for all its problems, is an amazing venue. I have been to a variety of concerts at the James Knight Hall, sitting in the orchestra and also way up in the cheapest seats and have loved the acoustics.

The Cleveland Orchestra is great and the visiting musicians like Patti Lupone, Harry Connick and the Academy of St-Martin-in-the-Fields are first class.

Less obvious but very important is the growth of the New World Symphony including the performance center planned at Miami Beach. I don't know of any other group like the New World Symphony - young, energetic, highly accessible and I think Miami is the perfect environment for a quality training orchestra.

Another thing that amazed me was the quality of the 2007 Book Fair. I've been to others international and national and the turnout in Miami seemed bigger and more diverse than at other literary events. I saw and heard more serious thinkers and writers at the Miami Book Festival than at the New Yorker Book Festival.

Are others on this board seeing the same things about the cultural scene in Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
MiamiGringo I have been there longer than you when Miami was called a cultural wasteland. We now have Art Basel, the Coconut Grove arts festival ( one of the largest in the US) etc., in short if you can't find culture in Miami you aren't looking for it.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:15 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Who really cares about that stuff? Between work and traffic there's no time to drive to some event where there is no parking, and waste time with it. You can find events in any city and most towns. Nobody I know ever participates in any cultural event. For me I would rather return to having fun outdoors like my parents did, and less of the expensive stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: