Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:54 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,119,596 times

Advertisements

I read there might be some subtle resentment of "tourists" in Miami, but I hope not. We are about to visit and we are only there to quietly enjoy everything, native Miami residents included!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,968,175 times
Midwestern here who just got back from a conference in Miami Beach. I thought most of the people were distant and cold. I didn't feel a welcoming vibe. I won't be returning unless it's a business trip.

But trips like this help know where you fit. I realize I'm more of a Naples or Hilton Head kind of guy.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:35 AM

892 posts, read 855,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Midwestern here who just got back from a conference in Miami Beach. I thought most of the people were pretty distant and cold. I didn't feel a welcoming vibe.

Quote:
On a recent trip to Miami, I was duly impressed with the white looking Latino women----these must be the Argentinian women mentioned here. They look very Caucasian and really hot---but spoke Spanish. They must be the upper-crust of their South American countries.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,658,949 times
Quote:
Midwestern here who just got back from a conference in Miami Beach. I thought most of the people were distant and cold. I didn't feel a welcoming vibe. I won't be returning unless it's a business trip.

But trips like this help know where you fit. I realize I'm more of a Naples or Hilton Head kind of guy.
Your trip to Miami beach for a conference does not make u an expert on the people and culture of Miami.
NewFlash: White people live in south America. Just as North America received lots of European immigrants, so did south America, so to be all shocked and surprised about the white latino people is really really ignorant. Just sayin...

Old 04-20-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Your trip to Miami beach for a conference does not make u an expert on the people and culture of Miami.
NewFlash: White people live in south America. Just as North America received lots of European immigrants, so did south America, so to be all shocked and surprised about the white latino people is really really ignorant. Just sayin...
I am not purporting to be an expert in Miami or South America....I gave my opinion on how I felt Miami was not friendly.

Last edited by flashes1; 04-20-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 11:50 AM

463 posts, read 558,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekichi View Post
So now it's wrong to mind your own business while being in public? Jesus. Next thing you know you'll want me to shine your shoes for you or something.

And minding your own business isn't a Miami thing.

Having a conversation with a stranger about your life is extremely awkward, at least for me. Don't expect me to reveal my life's story to someone I've just met, or to hold a deep conversation when I really just want to be left alone and go from point A to point B. If you perceive that as cold, well that's your problem.

Just so that we're clear, this by no ways means that I'll refuse to help you if you're in need of aid, or to extend common courtesies like holding the door or the elevator for you. I don't know about anybody else though since I can only speak for myself.
I agree with you 100% and I don't really get this obsessive need of some people to demand random strangers be super friendly and open otherwise get slapped with all sorts of negative labels. I find it disrespectful prying into other peoples personal lives.

Not everyone cares or desires to be a social butterfly striking up random conversations. With all the scam artists and shady people the city attracts, its pretty justifiable that people are a bit more cautious about opening themselves up to strangers.

However, the local people in Miami are pretty friendly overall. They are bit on the reserved side at first, but open up fairly quick if you come in with an easy-going and non-threatening attitude; i.e. not trying to pick them up or scam them. You'll make lots of social inroads here if you show an appreciation for the Latin culture (language/food/dance).

Old 04-20-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
People are clickish in Miami. Miami has no unifying culture so it causes issues. It gets worse and worse all the time. Greed and criminal behavior are expected from everyone. No one wants to assimilate here that is the biggest problem. What happened at the beach last weekend is a great example of how bad things are here. Bottom line Miami is a very beautiful trash can.
What happened at the Beach last weekend? After eating at Naked Taco (great fish tacos btw) I was walking up the street that runs parallel with Ocean Drive on Saturday around 8:00 pm and the whole city block was closed down with police tape everywhere. We couldn't tell what happened, but the cops were acting kind of spooked.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:36 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,215,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfour View Post
I've been to many cities and hate Miami with a passion. The residents there for the most part are the biggest bunch of jerks that I personally have experienced. I have vowed never to return there unless I absolutely have to.
Funny--a friend of mine from Boston said the same thing about Nashville, TN.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:46 PM

798 posts, read 1,455,318 times
Default I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSicily954 View Post
Hell yeah it is.

Why would people walk around happy? It's over-crowded, expensive and scorching hot.
Why even rich ppl act like this if they live in pretty non-crowded exclusive sectors, sucking air fresh conditioning all the time and still with bitter faces? The answer is that Miamians are all s hit eaters. Period!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,593,965 times
Pot calling the kettle black !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami