Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:47 PM

636 posts, read 611,191 times

Advertisements

Dc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 05:11 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
People expecting to have the same experience in big cities that they have in small towns should re-examine their incredibly unrealistic expectations.

I was in Chicago once for 3 days and nobody talked to me except people I worked with! How unfriendly!

Old 04-18-2016, 05:58 AM

383 posts, read 343,250 times
Yep! that`s trouble of most big cities around the world (except maybe Singapoire). Everyone needs to have got his own privat space. It`s impossible in big cities so that is the reason wjhy people avoid each other.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:17 AM

566 posts, read 889,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
I travel a lot on business and come in contact with lots of strangers in the various places I visit. What is just amazing to me in an era of mass media, social media and relocations, is how different the social culture is SO DIFFERENT from one part of America than another.

I recently spent a month in Texas doing training sessions and came in contact with maybe a thousand different strangers and was just shocked how friendly, kind and helpful everyone was.

A few months ago I was in the greater Miami area and had contact with maybe a thousand strangers. It was incredible how many people were rude and cold to me in the greater Miami area. At best they were coldly indifferent. I kept thinking what is up with the people in Miami?

So, am I right? Is Miami Americas coldest rudest city to strangers?

OP as a southerner I found that Miami is extremely rude. Where I can hold a conversation with a random stranger on a bus or train in Atlanta or even DC, I've gotten snarled at or dirty looks in Miami. When getting up to let an elderly person sit, I've gotten "purse whipped" for not getting up fast enough. But I definitely can say treatment is different if you can speak spanish or not. The times I've interacted with people in Spanish vs English have been night and day. People have been way more civil, but still there is a coldness. At first I thought it was just a Miami thing, but I think after traveling a bit throughout the americas, its a Latin American thing. The fun lively people and warm latin culture is only a thing when you know the people or your white lol. Otherwise, folks are extremely rude to strangers. But that's just my two cents. I'm not knocking the city, but folks there are rude.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:58 AM

Haha)) I`ve to memorized your comparision btw "day/night". It`s going to be easy for me staying out there because my Engl./Span are both sucks))

PS: Actually i`ve thought people in USA are always frienfly not depending on city. It might be only my imagination by movies where everyone has a white smile. I hope i`ll meet only friendly people on my way cuz i`ve tired of rudest people here in my native city (country).

Old 04-19-2016, 07:04 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,071 times
Yeah, Texans are friendly as long as you keep your mouth shut. Try telling them that you don't belong to their churches, don't worship their God, believe everyone has a right to be whoever they wish to be and have the same rights no matter what color they are or what their sexual orientation might be, and that you're not a rapid Republican and see what happens. I refuse to go to any of the Southern states (where I'm originally from) these days. Who needs the Southern Taliban? Living in Florida is a little strange, but it's not Southern.

Miamians are rude for sure, but talk to the people in Portland, Boston or Maine sometime if you want to see what rude is really like. There's a lot of rude people in this country. Unfortunately, different parts of Florida seem to be where they moved to, or where they hang out on vacation (Quebicans anyone?). Having said that, I think Portland was the worst. More of an icy disregard. At least you know that the Quebicans hate you. They hate everybody!

Last edited by smarino; 04-19-2016 at 07:20 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 02:44 PM

43 posts, read 133,401 times
I've been to many cities and hate Miami with a passion. The residents there for the most part are the biggest bunch of jerks that I personally have experienced. I have vowed never to return there unless I absolutely have to.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 AM

Quebicans
Who is it?

Dudes, don`t ruining my vacation =) I've already been starting to fear Miami..Actually you`re right. My sister has lived there almost 25 year. She used to be cheerful 10-15 years ago, but now she became quite weird and even shrilly/rude. I have no idea why...It possible due to problems with work, may be a lot of stress. I offered her to relocate to another place but she said she loves Miami with it`s climate so don`t planning to move somewhere else..
So where to move to find the nice people? Alaska?=)

Old 04-20-2016, 07:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,135 times
People are clickish in Miami. Miami has no unifying culture so it causes issues. It gets worse and worse all the time. Greed and criminal behavior are expected from everyone. No one wants to assimilate here that is the biggest problem. What happened at the beach last weekend is a great example of how bad things are here. Bottom line Miami is a very beautiful trash can.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 AM

39 posts, read 43,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
A few months ago I was in the greater Miami area and had contact with maybe a thousand strangers. It was incredible how many people were rude and cold to me in the greater Miami area. At best they were coldly indifferent. I kept thinking what is up with the people in Miami?
So now it's wrong to mind your own business while being in public? Jesus. Next thing you know you'll want me to shine your shoes for you or something.

And minding your own business isn't a Miami thing.

This is from Finland.

Having a conversation with a stranger about your life is extremely awkward, at least for me. Don't expect me to reveal my life's story to someone I've just met, or to hold a deep conversation when I really just want to be left alone and go from point A to point B. If you perceive that as cold, well that's your problem.

Just so that we're clear, this by no ways means that I'll refuse to help you if you're in need of aid, or to extend common courtesies like holding the door or the elevator for you. I don't know about anybody else though since I can only speak for myself.

Last edited by Rekichi; 04-20-2016 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami