Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 AM

749 posts, read 856,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Hispania was once a nation. Hispania included the entire peninsula during the last 3000 years.

Hispania went from a Roman province to a Nation with capital in Toledo during the Visigothic rule.

Brazil was also Spanish during 90 years.

Really, you should tinker with the history of Brazil for yourself and croonies. If you want to state that you came from Mars or that Cleopatra was Brazilian you can set up your own web page.

Americans don't know much except tacos and quesadillas, so if you insist many will state that you are a taco with feijoada.

As to Brazilians that denied being Hispanic, Argentina is your neighbour and they have plenty of unemployed shrinks.
I don't know why you keep insisting on Brazil but whatever, I'm not Brazilian.

Again Vizigothic kingdom was not a nation as we understand it now, not more than it was under the Moorish rule. Plus those kingdoms and the new world had no idea of each other's exitence I don't know how they can possibly be related. Still, the Hispanic part of the new world is called Hispanic because it was discovered by Spain, not Roman Hispania, not the Visigoths. I understand your perspective on history take a lot of short cuts and is very agrandissement complex driven, where the people you identify to ruled it all. Hispanic an an ethnicity is an American concept, it is by no means something universal.

Last edited by seixal; 09-27-2016 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 07:54 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,220 times
Visigothic Hispania, a kingdom that lasted 300 years. Hispania and Hispanic was used by kings such as Charles V, Phillip II..among ther things because at that time Portugal was part of Castile.
Portugal was an offshot of Leon, as Castile.

Hispanoamerica or Iberoamerica were also concepts that included Brazil.

Later, the French invented "Latin America" for political reasons. Napoleon III.

Don't pay attention to American concepts, they are obsessed with Mexicans, they only see Mexicans. Brazilians are Mexicans that dance Samba.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:06 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Visigothic Hispania, a kingdom that lasted 300 years. Hispania and Hispanic was used by kings such as Charles V, Phillip II..among ther things because at that time Portugal was part of Castile.

Hispanoamerica or Iberoamerica were also concepts that included Brazil.

Later, the French invented "Latin America" for political reasons. Napoleon III.

Don't pay attention to American concepts, they are obsessed with Mexicans, they only see Mexicans. Brazilians are Mexicans that dance Samba.

I speak Spanish and I have been asked at work to translate for Brazilians several times. I told my coworekr well I don't speak Portuguese and the answer was "its just like Spanish"... Luckily the people spoke Spanish OK and knew some English so we were able to muddle through.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
People are really confused. Again, Hispania was a province of the Roman empire that collapsed in about the 6th century, it was never a nationality as we understand it now. Hispania is not Portugal+Spain because these are modern states that didn't exist at that time, it would be like saying that the USA and native tribes are the same entity. The confusion arises because upon becoming a unified country modern spain took its name after Hispania, "Hispania", "Spain", sounds similar right? As you know spain conquered what is now a big chunk of the Americas. Therefore when people use the concept of "hispanic" they intend it as spanish-speaker, or spain-like, not the ancient roman province, that would be an anachronism. Why not calling African AMerican "Anglos" then?
Plus Portuguese and Brazilian people take offense at being called hispanic.

I am not confused at all. I know when the Roman Empire collapsed, the etymology of the name Spain and the development of the modern nation states of Portugal and Spain and the reconquista.

I am not denying the current American concept of "Hispanic" meaning Spanish Speaking; before the 1970s many people in the US would have used "Spanish" to describe anyone from Latin America, much to the consternation of people from Spain itself. I am just saying in my mind Hispanic should/could include Brazilians

Old 09-27-2016, 05:07 PM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
Quote:

What are you trying to say there?

Old 09-27-2016, 07:22 PM

21 posts, read 29,086 times
Just thought I'd throw this in here

Quote:
Perez was a member of the White Citizens Council and an organizer of the white supremacist Citizens Council of Greater New Orleans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leander_Perez

Old 10-12-2016, 05:23 PM

683 posts, read 853,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokpikr999 View Post
No white is Caucasoid(Regardless of ethnicity or nationality)and the opinions of ignorant people do not trump anthropological realities(Yes race is a objective and is not relative to the society one is living in).Also prior to this Hispanic/Latino B.S coming on the scene,no average American would've thought of someone as not being white simply because they were of Latin American descent.
No matter how you spin it. In America. White people like David Smith don't accept Juan Suarez from Spain as white like them.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:46 AM

That would be like an Asian whose great-great-great grandmother told him that he had a longnose ancestor mixed with Polish saying that Portuguese are not white.

Last edited by karstic; 10-13-2016 at 06:23 AM..

Old 10-13-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
No matter how you spin it. In America. White people like David Smith don't accept Juan Suarez from Spain as white like them.
They would say "How can you you have a Spanish name when your are white?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's a broad generalization, especially in 2016. In 1940 in the Northeast and Midwest this attitude was much more common, my great-Grandmother was upset because my Grandfather was engaged to an "immigrant girl" and a Catholic. (My grandmothers parents were Ukrainian immigrants)

"Old stock" DAR types would not consider Poles, Russians, Italians or Serbians as "white" either. Where white=WASP.

In the past Irish were not considered "white" either(No Irish Need Apply), its ironic because English and Irish are essentially the same genetically (no not culturally, so no one from the Ancient Order of Hibernians need get their panties in a wad) and in Continental Europe the closest genetically to the British Isles are Spain and Portugal

Last edited by jwolfer; 10-13-2016 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 02:40 AM

The Spanish immigration just melted, there was a Spanish neighbourhood in Manhattan but the only thing that remains Spanish is a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami