Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 23,467 times

Advertisements

This is my first post and I thought it might be a good idea to ask members of this forum to post the best places in Miami to visit and the best way to get there(traffic from google map suggestions can get pretty hectic sometimes).. I am from Orlando myself and I took a bus to get down here and will most likely take a bus to get back, so I am fairly new, but I thought it would be good measure to post here and ask residents or frequent visitors what the best places in Miami are and why.

Think of this thread as like a TOTALLY democratic TripAdvisor where posts don't get banned for honesty. Its my way of contributing to this community because I have been a reader for a long time. Its my turn to give back.

Okay, let me start. I walked to Villa Vizcaya today from the Hotel my family and I are staying at. It was about a 2 mile walk. Traffic was not too terrible if you were to be driving a car, but then again it was in the morning on a Wednesday so that may explain it. It was a great day and the people were really friendly along the way. We stopped for Italian ice a local vendor had who was pushing a cart. The museum was a wonderful experience for me and my family. I especially liked the Renaissance vibe from being around all the buildings.

Art is sort of boring to me, but my husband likes it so I endured it to the best of my ability.

Okay! Your turn! This is a great forum with great people so I am sure the responses will be much better than mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,891 times
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

Old 05-25-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
What was it like when you went there? I've never been.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:01 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,891 times
83 acres of tropical beauty. There are two butterfly gardens. One of the butterfly exhibits is enclosed and has hundreds of gorgeous, tropical butterflies. I would suggest that you 'Google' Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden for more information and photos.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:23 PM

874 posts, read 899,435 times
First, you definitely need a "me" day... but I'm going to say I think a visit to Wynwood and the grafiti art is pretty much required for any visit to Miami these days. Balance the art with a great meal at any of the funky restaurants... if price is no object, go to the one that's at the heart of things Wynwood kitchen... if your budget is a little more modest, I'm fond of the Butcher shop as well. But there's a ton of great places, mostly in the moderate to expensive range. If you're trying to do things on the cheap... find out when the food trucks will be there.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
First, you definitely need a "me" day... but I'm going to say I think a visit to Wynwood and the grafiti art is pretty much required for any visit to Miami these days. .
Your screen name is almost the same as my favorite artist! I absolutely LOVE Ayn Rand. As per your suggestion, I think I am going to try that out today. It will be good to get some "me" time while I'm here. It seems a bit far from me though from where I'm staying. I might need to get a Miami shuttle to take me there.

Any recommendations? I'm clueless! I did some of the public transportation yesterday, and I must say I am not a fan.. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
First, you definitely need a "me" day... but I'm going to say I think a visit to Wynwood and the grafiti art is pretty much required for any visit to Miami these days. Balance the art with a great meal at any of the funky restaurants... if price is no object, go to the one that's at the heart of things Wynwood kitchen... if your budget is a little more modest, I'm fond of the Butcher shop as well. But there's a ton of great places, mostly in the moderate to expensive range. If you're trying to do things on the cheap... find out when the food trucks will be there.
Wynwood now has a free trolley service from the Omni terminal. It is also pretty easy to bike there with Citibike. It's also possible to walk from the Omni/Arsht Center metromover--you'd probably want to go up Biscayne and across 29th ST. Just putting this out there since you already walked down to Vizcaya. Oh, and Uber is always an option. But whenever I've been there, it just looked like driving and parking would have been a pain. You can't park *too* far since you start running in to the surrounding homeless and ghetto scene pretty quickly.

One peeve of mine is the walkways there are WAY too narrow for the crowds they're getting nowadays, especially on weekends. It's getting to be like walking along Ocean Drive, but without all the sidewalk cafes, bars, and restaurants. Visit it while you can, though, as massive redevelopment is in the works which will likely turn it into the Design District Mall 2.0...which is fine,I suppose, if you shop at Fendi and Louis Vitton (I really wish they'd do meaningful neighborhood walkability and transit improvements "somewhere" in Miami WITHOUT adding density, and putting in transit instead of large parking garages.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami