Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that again, cheaper because you're getting less. Less space, less amenities, older buildings. In the urban core, most everything is fairly new and the rents are therefore more standardized. You can sometimes find good deals in older buildings like Four Ambassadors, but overall since everything is fairly uniformed, the rents all tend to be quite similar, no matter the building reputation.

If you're not going to be out at the Beach or in the urban core, yes, you'll need to go south towards Coconut Grove, Dadeland, etc.

I find South Beach to be very lovely and relaxed, if you know what you're doing. Obviously if you go out to eat, you're going to avoid the touristy places.

There is a lot of plastic and posers who are on vacation, or coming from way out west (western suburbs, not west coast) to be seen for the night.

You'll find this map helpful: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...GbdAkRkG21zXp8

in your search. There's another version out there that somebody else made, but I find this one to be more accurate, even though it's older. Some sections could use some updates, but overall it still remains pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 17,444 times
Definitely. I appreciate the tip about Miami Beach - it surprisingly seems very affordable. Because I've never been, and it's hard to guage the size of the place from glancing at google maps, are there places in South Beach you can go where it's like its own cool community, or is it touristy in general? The price point is good, and the location is obviously cool, but I'm not sure we would want to live in a place if it's really touristy or too intense (ie packed, heaving etc). We want to live somewhere ideally where we can stroll to a high street, go shopping etc without having to fight off hordes of tourists or preening beachgoers.

Also, how much can we trust the drive time estimates on google maps? I'm calculating the distance to my wife's work during rush hour with google maps, and it seems like you can get to areas near Kendall, Pinecrest etc within half an hour, even with traffic. Does that sound right? We are perfectly happy to drive around half an hour during rush hour if it nets us more options.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:38 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
He posted $1200.
Ooops sorry.

LOL, not only he stated it but he wrote a full paragraph about his budget.

OP the area where your wife is gonna work is right next to public transportation like other posters said. I don't know how safe is that area at night. I probably would not walk there after 8:00 pm but then again I don't work in the Civic Center so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCramer View Post
Also, how much can we trust the drive time estimates on google maps? I'm calculating the distance to my wife's work during rush hour with google maps, and it seems like you can get to areas near Kendall, Pinecrest etc within half an hour, even with traffic. Does that sound right? We are perfectly happy to drive around half an hour during rush hour if it nets us more options.
Not during rush hour. US1 has become a traffic mess lately but it will be great during off peak hours. I had to put up with that commute last year during Jury Duty in downtown Miami and I thought I was gonna go crazy.

I personally like the South Miami area East of US1. It's much more walkable than Dadeland in my opinion. Coral Gables around Miracle Mile is nice too but I don't think you can find cheap rents close to Miracle Mile, maybe in other areas of Coral Gables. Dadeland is a good area too and some of the older apartments are very spacious.

I think you should stay in the Eastern side of the county to avoid really bad traffic and non-walkable streets. Like forget West Kendall unless you want really bad traffic.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-14-2016 at 12:57 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Quote:
Definitely. I appreciate the tip about Miami Beach - it surprisingly seems very affordable. Because I've never been, and it's hard to guage the size of the place from glancing at google maps, are there places in South Beach you can go where it's like its own cool community, or is it touristy in general? The price point is good, and the location is obviously cool, but I'm not sure we would want to live in a place if it's really touristy or too intense (ie packed, heaving etc). We want to live somewhere ideally where we can stroll to a high street, go shopping etc without having to fight off hordes of tourists or preening beachgoers.

It's really something you should see for yourself for a few days before deciding. Yes, south beach undoubtedly has many tourists. But there are some great residential areas where you can truly get the best of both worlds. I like it b/c you can do all the fancy things that a place like south beach has to offer, but also stay kind of under the radar, and live a nice beach type lifestyle.

My wife moved from NYC to South Beach and I spend half my time there, half in NYC, and we love it. Coming from NYC, it is the perfect mix of urban and suburban. You are able to walk to the grocery store, gym, beach, etc but its not overbearing.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 PM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
I'm unsurprised that someone coming from NYC has adapted well to South Beach... but really the best advice is to go and see neighborhoods yourself before deciding exactly where to live. And don't just go at 4 pm... check it out late at night and ask the neighbors about noise. Because the last thing you want is to move to that great building, and then to find out there's a loud trash pick-up every morning at 5!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I'm unsurprised that someone coming from NYC has adapted well to South Beach... but really the best advice is to go and see neighborhoods yourself before deciding exactly where to live. And don't just go at 4 pm... check it out late at night and ask the neighbors about noise. Because the last thing you want is to move to that great building, and then to find out there's a loud trash pick-up every morning at 5!
Thanks for the advice!

Can anyone recommend a good realtor for apartments in the Miami area? My father in law connected us to one, but he was so incredibly unprofessional (interrupting my wife constantly, making racist comments and repeatedly ignoring the firm price range given by my wife) that we dropped them instantly. I'm sure that can't be the predominant experience of Miami realtors...

Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 PM

I'm happy to chat with you, but I don't really do rentals in the area where you're looking.

I'm also not sure that your price range is realistic, but as I said, the best way to figure that out is to go SEE units in that price range and determine if you'd want to live in them.

Hopefully one of my colleagues who works more of the beach area will speak up.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 PM

Interesting... property has been on the market since February, and at least one failed contract.

I definitely agree... it's priced WAY too high, should be in the 500K range at most. It really doesn't matter at all what the loan balance was... at this point, they really need to get it off their hands.

As I said, I'll be in the neighborhood, I'll swing by and take a look. The acreage is very rare in South Florida, so that's really the main advantage of Southwest Ranches.

Ann

Old 06-27-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Interesting... property has been on the market since February, and at least one failed contract.

I definitely agree... it's priced WAY too high, should be in the 500K range at most. It really doesn't matter at all what the loan balance was... at this point, they really need to get it off their hands.

As I said, I'll be in the neighborhood, I'll swing by and take a look. The acreage is very rare in South Florida, so that's really the main advantage of Southwest Ranches.

Ann
Think you responded to the wrong thread there :P

Directing this question at anyone: I'm currently in contact with a realtor in Miami. They sent me one property in particular which is right next to Margaret Pace Park - anyone have any thoughts on that area? It seems to be green on the neighbourhood-o-metre, but according to that map it is also right next to an industrial area, and right next to some orange/red areas (ie unsafe). Is that still true? The 'o-metre' map is about three years old, so I'm not going to assume it's too accurate.

Aside from safety, any thoughts on the area as far as stuff to do etc?

Old 06-27-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Think you responded to the wrong thread there :P

Directing this question at anyone: I'm currently in contact with a realtor in Miami. They sent me one property in particular which is right next to Margaret Pace Park - anyone have any thoughts on that area? It seems to be green on the neighbourhood-o-metre, but according to that map it is also right next to an industrial area, and right next to some orange/red areas (ie unsafe). Is that still true? The 'o-metre' map is about three years old, so I'm not going to assume it's too accurate.

Aside from safety, any thoughts on the area as far as stuff to do etc?
Actually it was my response to a private message that somehow got posted to the forum instead... this is what happens when I multitask to intensely.

Here are the travelocity reviews on the park, which are better than my impressions. I think it's improved over the years, but I'd still be very careful after dark.

There are two newer buildings nearby... and both are a little weird. Definitely recommend that you go see those in person before renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami