Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 02:27 AM

383 posts, read 343,405 times

Advertisements

In september we are (I, spouse and my mother) going to Miami. This is the third time i`m visiting FL. The previos times i`ve had visited Metro Zoo, Butterfly park. I used to visit Everglades but mother told me not to do it (because Speedbot is very noisy and she had to use the earplugs). Nevertheless i should visit Metro zoo again because we had not enought of free time last time. I would like to snorkeling as well if someone can point me where the best place to do it.
So i`ll be grateful for a piece of advice)
Note:
1)We prefer nature entertainment rather than urban.
2)I`m looking for a not expensive amenties up to 50$ for the one person (parks, shows).
3) Up to 50 miles from Miami DT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:19 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Key Largo is a little over 50 miles from Miami, but for snorkeling it would fit the bill:
Key Largo diving and snorkeling trips - Get certified in the Diving Capital of the world. Explore our pristine reefs and waters on your next Key Largo vacation!

Or off South Beach: Jose Cuervo

Other: Shore Snorkeling Along Florida's Southeast Coast - Riviera Beach to Dania Beach

There's also a snorkel trail in Lauderdale by the Sea: Town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, FL USA | The Snorkel Trail

You might enjoy going to Bill Baggs State Park on Key Biscayne and climbing to the top of the lighthouse. You can also rent and ride bikes there and I believe kayaks as well.

Oleta River has kayaking, too.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:07 AM

289 posts, read 305,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
In september we are (I, spouse and my mother) going to Miami. This is the third time i`m visiting FL. The previos times i`ve had visited Metro Zoo, Butterfly park. I used to visit Everglades but mother told me not to do it (because Speedbot is very noisy and she had to use the earplugs). Nevertheless i should visit Metro zoo again because we had not enought of free time last time. I would like to snorkeling as well if someone can point me where the best place to do it.
Note:
2)I`m looking for a not expensive amenties up to 50$ for the one person (parks, shows).
You should definitely check out Fairchild Botanical Gardens, it's a fantastic way to spend a day.

If you haven't done Vizcaya yet, you should also look into doing that. In September, both should be cool enough to not be completely miserable day trips.

The Walls of Wynwood are a good walk, even though they're more urban.

The boardwalk stretching from South Beach to North Beach is a great way to spend the day, is free, and takes you past historical Deco hotels and Ultra-Modern high-rises, if you like architecture.

There is a small botanical garden right across from the Miami Beach Convention Center which is a nice way to spend half an hour. It's also right next to the Miami Beach Holocaust Memorial, which is absolutely stunning and haunting and beautiful and terrible, and is worth going out of your way to see.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:17 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
+1 on Vizcaya. Coral Castle is interesting, too.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:22 AM

289 posts, read 305,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
+1 on Vizcaya. Coral Castle is interesting, too.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about Coral Castle. Still haven't been - the admission seems kind of steep for what you get. Is it worth the price?

Old 07-01-2016, 11:53 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Oh, yeah, I forgot about Coral Castle. Still haven't been - the admission seems kind of steep for what you get. Is it worth the price?
Is it worth it? That's a yes and no answer. I think so. Some may not. I just pulled up Trip Advisor reviews and it's generally well received. I think it's just an interesting little place to grab some pictures and see something kind of cool.

The Venetian Pool is also pretty cool.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:45 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post

The admission is $15 per person, I believe. That is what I remember on someone's RV-ING show on YouTube.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:01 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
OP- Don't forget to check out Groupon and Living Social. You can probably find some discounts for things you would like to do.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:19 AM

110 posts, read 110,218 times
John Pennenkamp State Park is on Key Largo and a lot of the activities that they offer are in the water. I've gone snorkeling there and kayaking and both were amazing. You can see a lot of different wildlife and you're pretty close to the park if you're staying in Miami.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:53 PM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Note:

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but there's a lovely Japanese garden in Delray Beach called Morikami. $15 admission.

After that travel to the nearby nature areas of Green Cay and Wakodahatchee. Both have some of the best bird-watching in South Florida. Zero cost there as well. Unfortunately, September is probably a little early for fall migration, so I'm not sure how much variety you'd be able to see. Check out the Green Cay facebook group to see what photographs folks are taking to see if it is worth the trip for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami