Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:58 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times

Advertisements

Who says you have to say hi to everyone who says hi to you--unless you are a greeter at Walmart?

What if I'm thinking about how I am going to handle an objection on an upcoming sales call, am I supposed to rearrange my life around you or a stranger??...who said your space is more important than my space?...what if I want to be left alone??

I have been called rude by some guy who was smoking a cigarette when there was a sign directly behind him that said "no smoking on the patio"...when I persisted in asking him to put it out he called me rude.

I, too, run into my share of homeless and con artists--am I supposed to greet them?

What about the waitress who must ask how my food is the very second she has observed me shoving a fork full of food into my mouth....am I supposed to swallow my food faster so I can answer this life altering question or is it OK to chew slowly, point with my finger that there is food in my mouth and wait until I am in a comfortable position to answer her question without food in my mouth?

What about when I dine solo--should I automatically sit at the table directly in front of a stranger and sit facing them, rather than I normally do with my back towards them, because I'm obligated to be "friendly" to that stranger??...if I wanted to be social I would have sat at the bar.

Should I take the treadmill directly next to a stranger when there are 27 open treadmills available or take the bathroom stall directly next to someone when there are 5 open stalls when I will be there for an extended visit?

I have long since graduated high school and no longer need to be the most popular on campus but I do exercise common courtesy and common sense to others more often than they do to me. There are also times where I value my privacy and space which often will supersede the need for me to say hi to a complete stranger when my mind and thoughts are preoccupied. If someone finds this offensive then they should adopt a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 09:03 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
LOL ok...

I hope the "pockeful of sunshines" that complain about Miami finally find their paradise someday. We have seen them year after year biatching about Miami and they move somewhere else and start biatching about their new place. There's a common denominator there.

Miami like any other place in the US has its share of nice and nasty people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGgs89UeWt4
Wrong. I left Miami, the rudest city in the country, and I was HAPPY where I ended up. I did not "biatch" about my new place.

The problem was the people in Miami. The end.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:11 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Who says you have to say hi to everyone who says hi to you--unless you are a greeter at Walmart?

What if I'm thinking about how I am going to handle an objection on an upcoming sales call, am I supposed to rearrange my life around you or a stranger??...who said your space is more important than my space?...what if I want to be left alone??

I have been called rude by some guy who was smoking a cigarette when there was a sign directly behind him that said "no smoking on the patio"...when I persisted in asking him to put it out he called me rude.

I, too, run into my share of homeless and con artists--am I supposed to greet them?

What about the waitress who must ask how my food is the very second she has observed me shoving a fork full of food into my mouth....am I supposed to swallow my food faster so I can answer this life altering question or is it OK to chew slowly, point with my finger that there is food in my mouth and wait until I am in a comfortable position to answer her question without food in my mouth?

What about when I dine solo--should I automatically sit at the table directly in front of a stranger and sit facing them, rather than I normally do with my back towards them, because I'm obligated to be "friendly" to that stranger??...if I wanted to be social I would have sat at the bar.

Should I take the treadmill directly next to a stranger when there are 27 open treadmills available or take the bathroom stall directly next to someone when there are 5 open stalls when I will be there for an extended visit?

I have long since graduated high school and no longer need to be the most popular on campus but I do exercise common courtesy and common sense to others more often than they do to me. There are also times where I value my privacy and space which often will supersede the need for me to say hi to a complete stranger when my mind and thoughts are preoccupied. If someone finds this offensive then they should adopt a dog.
Spot on!

Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times
I only find the Miami drivers rude in some areas of the county but people in general are average.

I don't know why people say that Southerners are so nice. I find most of them average. Some are nice and some have no class whatsoever

I don't expect all strangers to say hi, smile at me and ask me how I am doing but common courtesy is appreciated. If you are inside an elevator ask what floors other people are going, hold the door if someone is behind you, treat people with respect, don't shout, don't throw trash on the floor, wait for your turn, cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing, move over when you are done and others are waiting etc.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:46 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
I travel to Miami often and find people to be pleasant. The drivers are some of the worst in the US when it comes to courtesy, but the actual people I've interacted with are mostly nice and pleasant. I usually don't pay much attention to these types of ranking articles. I'm a very well traveled person and I find the vast majority of them to be very inaccurate.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:36 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,479 times
I encounter rudeness rarely. I just don't understand how the drivers can be so aggressive and constantly commit atrocities and then I don't see that same type of behavior outside of driving?

We juse spent 4 days at the Miami Beach convention center attending Florida Supercon. It was sold out on Saturday for the first time. I think 50K + attendees. Not once did I encounter rudeness. There was extra security, bag checks, many, many lines, etc and we didn't deal with any rudeness. We even had a building evacuation on the busiest day and there was no pushing or chaos. I wish it would extend to the driving.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:10 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I encounter rudeness rarely. I just don't understand how the drivers can be so aggressive and constantly commit atrocities and then I don't see that same type of behavior outside of driving?

We juse spent 4 days at the Miami Beach convention center attending Florida Supercon. It was sold out on Saturday for the first time. I think 50K + attendees. Not once did I encounter rudeness. There was extra security, bag checks, many, many lines, etc and we didn't deal with any rudeness. We even had a building evacuation on the busiest day and there was no pushing or chaos. I wish it would extend to the driving.
I think part of it is do how people drive in Latin America, which is pretty bad. In many countries in Latin America drivers are aggressive, and i think part of the problem has been that has been brought to Miami, which comes off as rude, but I think is more just the way people drive in other parts of the world.

I learned quickly while driving in Miami never to turn on my turn signal. The second I put on my turn signal NO ONE would let me through, so after a day of dealing with that I said eff that and stopped using my turn signal and then had no issues. So I can quickly see when it comes to driving you almost have to become just as bad as them, because if not you will never get anywhere! I will say though driving in Miami is stressful, part of it is because I am a visitor when I go so not as familiar with streets so trying to navigate the streets while at the same time dealing with aggressive and chaotic drivers makes it stressful. I am sure once I move I will adapt.

But I guess when in Rome do as the Romans.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:44 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I think part of it is do how people drive in Latin America, which is pretty bad. In many countries in Latin America drivers are aggressive, and i think part of the problem has been that has been brought to Miami, which comes off as rude, but I think is more just the way people drive in other parts of the world.

I learned quickly while driving in Miami never to turn on my turn signal. The second I put on my turn signal NO ONE would let me through, so after a day of dealing with that I said eff that and stopped using my turn signal and then had no issues. So I can quickly see when it comes to driving you almost have to become just as bad as them, because if not you will never get anywhere! I will say though driving in Miami is stressful, part of it is because I am a visitor when I go so not as familiar with streets so trying to navigate the streets while at the same time dealing with aggressive and chaotic drivers makes it stressful. I am sure once I move I will adapt.

But I guess when in Rome do as the Romans.
It could be such a cash cow for the city if they hired more police... It amazes me how many violations I saw just walking a few blocks just now lol. $60-100 per ticket would add up quick for the city and also help make drivers better.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It could be such a cash cow for the city if they hired more police... It amazes me how many violations I saw just walking a few blocks just now lol. $60-100 per ticket would add up quick for the city and also help make drivers better.
I always think the same thing. There's a fortune waiting to be made! It would be even better if propperty taxes could be lowered because of the windfall.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:31 AM

289 posts, read 304,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It's one thing for two people to pass by each other and neither one says a word, but ignoring someone who acknowledges you is simply rude. No way around that. It isn't going to kill you to say "hi" back and you might be improving their day.

With that said, I've never had a problem in Miami. The rudest city I ever experienced would have to be DC.
I would actually disagree with you completely, RE: saying hi. I think it's more rude to say hi to random strangers who aren't clearly telegraphing that they want to have a chat with you. It's even ruder to infringe on someone's personal space, uninvited, and then expect a reply. You are making a demand of someone that doesn't necessarily want anything to do with you. And then getting offended when they don't respond to your demand.

This is why New Yorkers had the stereotype of being rude for the longest time. It wasn't that we were rude, it's that tourists would come in from tiny towns and then demand our time and attention for meaningless pleasantries like waving and saying hi to strangers. I think it's something that naturally happens whenever population density gets high enough - there are just too many people to be obnoxiously friendly with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami