Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 06:30 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,613,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Thanks for the advice. While my interest in living in Broward County is limited, I will definitely check it out when I visit the area again October. I did some Google mapping on it, seems like a cool spot, and maybe if it were closer to Miami I would consider, but still worth checking out.
My gay friends commute 1.5 hours to work and won't live anywhere else, because Wilton is so perfect for them. They really don't travel much outside Wilton, as there is a ton of nightlife, restaurants, etc.

But like I said, it may not be for you. But I wouldn't totally rule it out without seeing for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,808,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
My gay friends commute 1.5 hours to work and won't live anywhere else, because Wilton is so perfect for them. They really don't travel much outside Wilton, as there is a ton of nightlife, restaurants, etc.

But like I said, it may not be for you. But I wouldn't totally rule it out without seeing for yourself.
If it's that gay centric it probably would not work for me. Like I said not a big fan of the "gay culture" and I don't fit in with the community. Pretty much all my friends are straight guys with exception of one that is gay. So I would like s place where there are some gay or bi guys but not where they are the majority amor that significant.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:01 AM

Also, what are the demographics like in Coconut Grove? On the socioeconomic status I know it's middle class with a huge swath of upper middle class and wealthy. But I am more curious on the ethnic demographics.

Is it a nice balance of white and latino? Is one more prevalent than the other? I remember walking around there last time, and it seemed pretty balanced. However, like always in Miami, there are plenty of "white" people that are actually Latino. I remember hearing a bunch of folks speaking Portuguese while I was there.

Also, is there a strong presence of professional Latinos in Coconut Grove?

Another thing I like about Coconut Grove is it's location. It's still not 100% sure if I can work remotely (99.9% sure), so if I can't I would actually search for a new job before I move there. I am fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, worked in global marketing (with a special focus on Latin American markets). If I searched for jobs there it would be with those major brands, like HBO, Facebook, Apple, etc that have their Latin American headquarters in Miami. The interesting thing I have found is that those LATAM headquarters all seem to be located either in downtown/Brickell or Coral Gables, meaning if I lived in Coconut Grove my commute wouldn't be so bad? Right?

Also, I am considering advertising/marketing agencies and I was shocked to find many are located in Coconut Grove itself. I guess you could say location/commute is important too, because even if I work remotely, the plan would be to eventually find a new job after a year or so, if I like Miami and want to stay then look for a job that is based in Miami and not remote. Of course unless my company wants to open an office down there.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:51 AM

604 posts, read 614,422 times
Quote:
A.... If I searched for jobs there it would be with those major brands, like HBO, Facebook, Apple, etc that have their Latin American headquarters in Miami. The interesting thing I have found is that those LATAM headquarters all seem to be located either in downtown/Brickell or Coral Gables, meaning if I lived in Coconut Grove my commute wouldn't be so bad? Right?
I work in a totally unrelated field, however most of my clients are either LATAM companies doing business in the US or multinationals with LATAM regional offices in South Florida. I don't see such concentration in DT/Coral Gables.

Regional HQ located outside of their actual region don't feel the urge to move in premium locations, specially when they handle a lot of back office functions.
Sometimes the Miami office and the LATAM HQ of the same group are in totally different locations.

LATAM HQ are spread though all the area. Blue Lagoon has probably the largest concentration, then the CBD. I will put Coral Gables on a tie with Doral. Miramar has a few. I know of at least one located in Weston.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
I work in a totally unrelated field, however most of my clients are either LATAM companies doing business in the US or multinationals with LATAM regional offices in South Florida. I don't see such concentration in DT/Coral Gables.

Regional HQ located outside of their actual region don't feel the urge to move in premium locations, specially when they handle a lot of back office functions.
Sometimes the Miami office and the LATAM HQ of the same group are in totally different locations.

LATAM HQ are spread though all the area. Blue Lagoon has probably the largest concentration, then the CBD. I will put Coral Gables on a tie with Doral. Miramar has a few. I know of at least one located in Weston.
Gotcha. So essentially Little Havana is probably the area that is the most well connected to all these areas? In regards to commutes that are aren't so bad.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,054,639 times
There are lots of new apartments coming on the market in the north DT area, near the performing arts center and what used to be called Omni.
What's great about this area is that it's on the metro mover that takes you around DT and Brickell for free and is a short bike share ride across the Venetian Causeway to South Beach for a tiny monthly fee. The Metromover connects you to the Metrorail which gives you further access without a car to the airport and other points south and north of the city center. Wynwood and Midtown are very close by and the entire area is exploding with growth and young people.
Remember that, if you are moving from a state with income taxes, the dollars you save in taxes in Florida will likely end up in your landlord's hands to pay the high property taxes on the place you rent. You might be well advised to stretch your rental budget upward to give you a more convenient and varied lifestyle. The low 1000s is pretty much rock bottom rent unless you are in a really far or really sketchy property.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:50 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,097,229 times
So where did you end up moving? How do you like it?

Old 10-05-2016, 04:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,321,348 times
Quote:
So I have plans to move to Miami in the spring of 2017. Right now it's looking like I will be able to work remotely there, meaning I keep my $70k salary (although might get a raise to $80k). I ideally want a one bedroom apartment, fairly close to the Cocowalk area.

My budget is between $1200-$1500 a month. I don't need a fancy place, but also don't want to a craphole either. Is this doable for Coconut Grove? I have also looked at North Bay Village and the Wynwood/Edgewater area. It seems however, that Coconut Grove is the nicest place to live compared to those areas. Also it seems that Wynwood and Edgewater are way more expensive than Coconut Grove to rent, which seems crazy to me as Coconut Grove seems to be safer, cleaner, and prettier. I do like Wynwood and Edgewater a lot but for the price you pay to live there it doesn't seem worth it to me.....yet. Maybe in 5-10 years.

Some other major expenses I will have are:
Student loans: about $600 per month
Car Payment: about $300 per month (excluding insurance)

Outside of that my expenses are a little more flexible, like groceries, gym, etc. Credit card payments are lest than $50 a month. So rent will be my biggest expense.

Also how is Dadeland? It seems like they have a nice downtown, but I don't like that it's a little more out there. I like being in the city.

I am just wondering if based on my salary my expectations are realistic? Should I look somewhere else?

In general I want a neighborhood that has some walkable attributes to it. I know Miami is no Chicago, but I at least want to live an area where I can walk to get a bite to eat, a pharamacy or a bar. I also don't need to be in the hippest neighborhood. One that can offers enough for me to do within the neighboorhood or at least is close to all the action.
I lived in Coconut Grove back in 2014, so my knowledge is old. However, I was paying 1650 for a two bedroom in a gate condo. It was a BEAUTIFUL building and two of the assistant coaches from the Miami Heat lived there as well. I am saying all that to tell you, if i paid 1650 for a 2 bedroom, you should be able to find a place in your price range. You may want to deal with realtor, that is what we did. If you need a person let me know. I have the name and number of a guy who lives in the Grove, knows the area very well and can help you.

With all that said, I should add Coconut Grove is my favorite neighborhood in Miami. Very walkable, the people are pretty nice and there are tons of events. Also the farmers market is really good.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,806 times
Coconut Grove is a great place. It's quiet and residential but still walkable if you live near Cocowalk. A friend of mine had a two-bedroom house there for $1700/month so finding a one-bedroom should be well within your budget.

For the past year I actually lived in a neighborhood about 10 minutes southwest of Coconut Grove which I highly recommend. It was technically part of Coral Gables, but still had a nice Coconut Grove-y feel. The street I lived on was called Edgewater Dr. (not to be confused with the Edgewater area near midtown Miami. The zip code is 33133) and it was a really nice place right on the edge of the Coral Gables waterway (duh). My rent was $1450/month for a 1-bedroom apartment. Also if you like walkability and a shopping area that's similar to Cocowalk, I'd recommend renting near Sunset Drive. Lots of cute boutiques as well as a larger outdoor shopping mall, and they just recently opened a farmer's market there every Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami