U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,585,376 times
Default Fisher Island & Star Island?

Are these private islands or can anyone access them?

I will be in Miami end of March and would like to check them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 PM

2,517 posts, read 6,972,663 times
Fisher island is very private and you need to take a ferry to get there. You will not be able to visit unless you live there or know someone that lives there. Same goes for Star Island. I believe sunset island or one of the communities off Macarthur causeway has NO guard gate and you can actually drive into it. Not sure of the name though.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Fisher island is very private and you need to take a ferry to get there. You will not be able to visit unless you live there or know someone that lives there. Same goes for Star Island. I believe sunset island or one of the communities off Macarthur causeway has NO guard gate and you can actually drive into it. Not sure of the name though.
THANKS.

Have an acquantance on Fischer Island but would rather access by another way.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM

7,912 posts, read 9,373,550 times
You will not get onto Fisher without an invitation or clearance to do work, etc. So, your thought of just touring without a stated and approved purpose is probably out of the question. As for Star, just dress nice, drive a nice car and tell the guard at the station that you just want to drive through. They probably won't harass you unless you look seedy or suspicious. They may tell you to stay in your car though. The streets on Star Island are publicly serviced and they really can't keep you out. However, they will write down your licence number as a security measure. Another post suggested that Sunset Islands were not gated. They, in fact, are gated. The same dog and pony show applies to them as it does to Star and Palm/Hibiscus Islands. If you REALLY want to see the islands, it's actually better by boat. By car, the gated islands aren't that impressive since most have gates and hedges blocking views from the streets. If the water is calm, go rent a kayak on Purdy Ave. and paddle your way around the back of homes. It's much more interesting.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You will not get onto Fisher without an invitation or clearance to do work, etc. So, your thought of just touring without a stated and approved purpose is probably out of the question. As for Star, just dress nice, drive a nice car and tell the guard at the station that you just want to drive through. They probably won't harass you unless you look seedy or suspicious. They may tell you to stay in your car though. The streets on Star Island are publicly serviced and they really can't keep you out. However, they will write down your licence number as a security measure. Another post suggested that Sunset Islands were not gated. They, in fact, are gated. The same dog and pony show applies to them as it does to Star and Palm/Hibiscus Islands. If you REALLY want to see the islands, it's actually better by boat. By car, the gated islands aren't that impressive since most have gates and hedges blocking views from the streets. If the water is calm, go rent a kayak on Purdy Ave. and paddle your way around the back of homes. It's much more interesting.
I understand. I do drive a nice car and dress nice and clean cut...so Star Island is no problem.

I do have a contact that can get me onto Fischer Island but didn't want to go that route. Guess I will be going that route though.

THANKS!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 3,545,047 times
Deja Vu.

We had a thread on this just a little while ago
Accessing Star Island

Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 33,174 times
It was pretty funny that one night around 2am me and my cousin were driving back to the beach from downtown and we turned to get on to the island to see what its all about. The guy at the guard booth let us right in. Not much to see though once you get inside, the peoples houses still have an assload of gates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami