Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 06:49 PM

149 posts, read 562,485 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job offer in south Florida and needed some advice on where to live and where to meet people. I'm 24 years old so I would prefer to be around a younger crowd and my rent range based on salary would be 1300 max for a 1 bedroom. My job is in pembroke pines, but I hear the area is more for families and me being a single 24 year old might have trouble meeting people out there. I'm from DC so I'm used to the inner city life style. Any suggestions on places to live and hangout spots would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
To tell you the truth, you would be fine in Pembroke Pines, but if you don't mind a little bit of a freakshow or some grit, far east (downtown) Hollywood is a work in progress and might be a good place to look. Look at places near downtown Hollywood EAST of Youngs circle, with great emphasis on the east part, or directly in downtown Hollywood. You can rent a pretty luxurious 1 bedroom around there for 1300 a month in a newer building, in fact you could probably get away with a two bedroom. Your commute would be up Hollywood Blvd and would take somewhere around the 20 minute range, and you are ahead the opposite direction of the rush, which helps.

It's kind of freaky, but the PD has been doing a great job cleaning up the crime in that area, and the high police presence makes it very safe at night. There is some great ethnic dining there (I have had some excellent middle eastern and eastern european food), the nightlife goes anywhere from rednecky dive bar to Miami Beach style and ANYWHERE in between (it even has a friggin jazz club!), and it's even kind of walkable, you can walk to the grocery store, which has probably the weirdest, most broad blend of people I have EVER seen (you will see any kind of person, black, white, gay, straight, middle eastern, asian, hooker, yuppies, stepford wives, transsexual, punk rockers, ANYTHING) and you can walk to some of your other stuff as well. It's a younger population, and if something gritty appeals to you that's a good place to look into. If you are looking for something more yuppie or upscale, theres Las Olas area in Ft. Lauderdale, and once again you would be heading the opposite direction of the rush (take I-595 instead of 95). Really though, you aren't that far from anything in Pembroke Pines, and I would just live close to work. There are plenty of young people there.

One more note. In some of the communities a few blocks from downtown and west of U.S.1, burglaries are very common and if you walk onto the wrong block at night, the occasional robbery occurs. Try and stay between Van Buren St. and Tyler St at night if you are west of U.S.1, as there is a dropoff in police coverage and those neighborhoods can be pretty rough. It's honestly not THAT bad but it's scuzzy and rough. Also, don't park your car and expect to leave your valuables in plain sight down there unless you like car burglars.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-19-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 06:59 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,782 times
You shouldn't have much of a problem finding something decent for $1300/mo. Pembroke Pines is a nice area, but you're right--it is more for settled families. The young hot spots of Miami are definitely South Beach and Coconut Grove (probably Coral Gables too), but living there would present you with quite a commute to and from work. I'm not quite sure where I could recommend for you to live that would be fun, yet close to your job. Maybe Fort Lauderdale? Aventura is nice too, but I can't personally vouch for it's "fun" level.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
I agree...downtown hollywood would be a good bet...pembroke pines borders with hollywood, so no biggy on the commute. Look for rentals near Hollywood's YOUNG CIRCLE area.

Welcome to South Florida...

Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,492 times
Hot spots in Miami are Coconut Grove, Downtown Miami, Miami Beach and to an extent downtown Hollywood. I would recommend Hollywood just because of the commute, it would avoid you having to do a long drive. Plus, if you want to have fun, you can always drive on the weekends and have fun in Miami.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 AM

149 posts, read 562,485 times
Wow thanks everyone. You've been very helpful That's a lot more information than I expected. Lol. Ill start looking at Hollywood, fort lauderdale and aventura and come back here if I have any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami