Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 02:02 AM

683 posts, read 852,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Because as you know if you are a Southerner, you have no capacity to appreciate different people, you are closed minded and well pretty stupid.

Not everyone in Georgia is a bible thumping bumpkin.

Chances are the OP is coming from Atlanta area which is a large city and even if the OP is from Waycross they may love the change of pace and different culture of Miami area
You really think ATL is different from the rest of GA? lol It's the same mentality. I say this from living in Miami for years and seeing people from the Carolinas, Texas, and yes GA thinking it's going to be the same "South" that they are used to. If you are honest, you probably can't count on one hand how many people you know from these areas and actually lived in Miami for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcmcvey View Post
We will be moving from the Savannah area and yes we are a bible believing family but also able to adapt to our surroundings as we have lived in several different areas of the East Coast over the past few years. We will be looking for a family friendly neighborhood with decent amenities close by suchbas shopping, etc. Safety is of paramount concern so that will factor in as well. I appreciate any opinions of areas we could look at. I have looked into the Palmetto Bay area and it seems nice as well. Any thoughts on other areas that will allow me to have a 30 minute or less commute to work, which is on 8th Ave in Coral Gables?
Just a few questions:

1. Do you know Spanish? You are going to hear tons of it. At work, in your neighborhood, and in stores.
2. Have you lived in a predominantly Spanish speaking city with majority Cubans? They are definitely not like other Hispanic/Latin cultures. Miami isn't diverse by any means any more. It is truly a Latin city.
3. Can you handle bad customer service?
4. Can you handle people telling to curb the bible thumping? I'm just saying this because you will hear this. I actually worked in ATL for a year and it was extremely annoying.

I'm not being negative, just stating the truth. I lived there 25+ years. You will encounter all of this on a daily basis. I really never found Miami a family type city. Central FL and up is great for that. I think you should rent a house instead of out right buying if you never spent a great deal of time there.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:00 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
My family and I are possibly relocating to the Coral Gables area from Georgia. I am looking for a safe area to rent or possibly buy. I have 3 young children and do not speak any Spanish at this time. I would like to keep our rent to less than $3500/month and/or our purchase price below $500,000. I would like the safest place with good amenities and friendly neighborhood feel (i.e no security alarms required). I would like at least 4 bedrooms and 2 baths with a pool. Can anyone give any suggestions?
You won't be getting into the gables at that rental budget. I would check out either pinecrest or palmetto bay. You might be ok budget wise for rental there.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
My family and I are possibly relocating to the Coral Gables area from Georgia. I am looking for a safe area to rent or possibly buy. I have 3 young children and do not speak any Spanish at this time. I would like to keep our rent to less than $3500/month and/or our purchase price below $500,000. I would like the safest place with good amenities and friendly neighborhood feel (i.e no security alarms required). I would like at least 4 bedrooms and 2 baths with a pool. Can anyone give any suggestions?
You will have to trim your wants list or expand your budget......and a $3500 rental in Coral Gables will be a dump and you will wish you had an alarm system!

I went to school there (UM) and was down there as recently as 2 months ago.....not much has changed but the prices sure got higher!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:55 PM

72 posts, read 76,844 times
Miami is tough. There are some beautiful areas, breathtaking actually. We moved here a year ago from New England (and are originally from Texas). My husband is Hispanic and speaks Spanish and I grew up in San Antonio where there is a huge Mexican presence. I thought Miami wouldn't be a huge difference. I was totally wrong. Most people aren't friendly, traffic is atrocious at times (and I have driven all over the US), customer service is poor, schools are not well run (in my own experience), children's activities are sparse and hard to get to because of traffic, crime is high, there is so much litter, panhandlers galore, and just a general lack of concern for the environment and surroundings. The cost of living is also high, and you will have to raise your budget. Include extra in your budget for home alarm, electric bill,and toll expenses/extra gas. I am glad I got to spend a year here and experience the nice parts, but we are moving this month and can't say that I will miss it.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:03 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
We left that area for GA OP. The schools here ( in North Fulton) are better, and we don't feel quite so out of place. Coral Gables is lovely. It's also pricey to live in the lovelier parts of Miami. You WILL feel like a minority when it comes to speaking your native language. If you can handle those issues, go, and make the most of your years in a very pretty part of our country.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:59 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
We will be moving from the Savannah area and yes we are a bible believing family but also able to adapt to our surroundings as we have lived in several different areas of the East Coast over the past few years. We will be looking for a family friendly neighborhood with decent amenities close by suchbas shopping, etc. Safety is of paramount concern so that will factor in as well. I appreciate any opinions of areas we could look at. I have looked into the Palmetto Bay area and it seems nice as well.
Any thoughts on other areas that will allow me to have a 30 minute or less commute to work, which is on 8th Ave in Coral Gables?
Did you mean S.W. 8th. Street instead? I'm unaware of a 8th. Ave. in Coral Gables. If that is the case SW 8th. street / Calle' Ocho is the northern boundary line of the Coral Gables city limits.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:13 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Did you mean S.W. 8th. Street instead? I'm unaware of a 8th. Ave. in Coral Gables. If that is the case SW 8th. street / Calle' Ocho is the northern boundary line of the Coral Gables city limits.
Not quite. There is a section of Coral Gables north of S.W. 8th Street between Ponce and Douglas that is within the city limits. Ponce and Douglas intersect at S.W. 2nd Street and that is the northernmost point of Coral Gables.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Please don't listen to this "dog whistle" post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKeepMoving View Post
Miami is tough. There are some beautiful areas, breathtaking actually. We moved here a year ago from New England (and are originally from Texas). My husband is Hispanic and speaks Spanish and I grew up in San Antonio where there is a huge Mexican presence. I thought Miami wouldn't be a huge difference. I was totally wrong. Most people aren't friendly, traffic is atrocious at times (and I have driven all over the US), customer service is poor, schools are not well run (in my own experience), children's activities are sparse and hard to get to because of traffic, crime is high, there is so much litter, panhandlers galore, and just a general lack of concern for the environment and surroundings. The cost of living is also high, and you will have to raise your budget. Include extra in your budget for home alarm, electric bill,and toll expenses/extra gas. I am glad I got to spend a year here and experience the nice parts, but we are moving this month and can't say that I will miss it.
Yup I guess this is another "dog whistle" post. Only Hispanics that are in denial think I'm just spitting non sense. This post is a classic of what I would hear from people from the deep South. Except she didn't mention the church thing. lol That was a huge part also.

Miami was great when I was younger, once I got older all that got annoying. I actually agree with what she posted. It really is true.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:21 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Yup I guess this is another "dog whistle" post. Only Hispanics that are in denial think I'm just spitting non sense. This post is a classic of what I would hear from people from the deep South. Except she didn't mention the church thing. lol That was a huge part also.

Miami was great when I was younger, once I got older all that got annoying. I actually agree with what she posted. It really is true.
JFC, isn't it about time you got over your obsession with Miami? You moved across country in 2014, right? Isn't it about time you started posting in the Phoenix forum already and gave the Miami hate a break? It'll be good for your mental health to finally let go of the past and get on with your life (such as it is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami