Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,771 times

Advertisements

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...91624#23291624
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 05:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
where to begin with that joke piece.

1. You noticed they named NONE of these multi national companies head quartered down there.

2. To even equate the "art district" with Soho demands that lady be slapped in the back of the head with a hose filled with sand.

All one has to do is go downtown Miami and see those office buildings and condos are are empty as heck and the ones that are standing have "space for rent" in front of most of them

They must have paid MSNBC to do that piece to lure more unsuspecting people to south florida.

Last edited by Wild Style; 02-22-2008 at 06:55 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
where to begin with that joke piece.

1. You noticed than named NONE of these multi national companies head quartered down there.

2. To even equate the "art district" with Soho demands that lady be slapped in the back of the head with a hose filled with sand.

All one has to do is go downtown Miami and see those office buildings and condos are are empty as heck and the ones that are standing have "space for rent" in front of most of them

They must have paid MSNBC to do that piece to lure more unsuspecting people to south florida.
That is not true. Miami is growing fast in finances, business and banking. Why do you think they're building 4 more office towers of Class A office space? Because there's a demand, and unlike residential which can be built all on prospective buyers, office space follows the demand for it, and if there's demand for 4 more 40+ floor towers, then Miami's financial status is growing. Don't believe me, look it up, and check out the rent prices (that have continued to go up) and look how they coincide with the available space (which is very little). Miami is growing, and fast.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
I think if anything good is said about Miami, than it must be a lie. Apparently it's not "reality" because reality always has to be 100% gloomy.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Looks like it was a pro-Miami festival for MSNBC, a whole day promoting Miami across the country. I wonder how many people will decide to come and buy a condo or come for vacation after having seen this on TV lol? Here are some of the videos:

Ocean Drive: "Miami's Rodeo Drive"
msnbc.com Video Player

Miami: renter's paradise
msnbc.com Video Player

FIU South Beach Food & Wine Festival
msnbc.com Video Player

Miami on a budget
msnbc.com Video Player

Old 02-22-2008, 06:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Funny how they say "not since the 1920's has Miami seen this much growth". We know what 1926 brought. Also Manny (money) Diaz talking his usual BS. Miami is a joke, a second-rate port with terrible transportation to the land ( rail is all but abandoned) and the run-down, overpriced downtown area. Even Miami Beach is mostly hype. Oh yes and the ocean pictures, big deal, I see that all the time and it's the same all over Florida. Today I got so fed up with Miami-Dade's poor transportation system that I took Krome avenue instead of sitting on the Turnpike or 826. While dangerous, it reminded me of what I liked about Florida. The city holds no appeal to me at all. I still don't know why in the age of computers/internet anyone needs a "financial center".

Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
That is not true. Miami is growing fast in finances, business and banking. Why do you think they're building 4 more office towers of Class A office space? Because there's a demand, and unlike residential which can be built all on prospective buyers, office space follows the demand for it, and if there's demand for 4 more 40+ floor towers, then Miami's financial status is growing. Don't believe me, look it up, and check out the rent prices (that have continued to go up) and look how they coincide with the available space (which is very little). Miami is growing, and fast.
That sir is not true. They build towers all the time based on what they THINK will be demand, not on actual demand. There were two huge buildings built in Fort Lauderdale in plantation for example that sat almost completely empty for three years. This was from 2000 to about 2003. Commercial is just like residential, you build in anticipation of someone taking up the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I think if anything good is said about Miami, than it must be a lie. Apparently it's not "reality" because reality always has to be 100% gloomy.
you obviously have not been to downtown miami anytime recently. I was there not even four weeks ago. That place is still as empty and run down as it ever was. Nice tall shiny new buildings in some areas though (with high vacancy I should add)

Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:

you obviously have not been to downtown miami anytime recently. I was there not even four weeks ago. That place is still as empty and run down as it ever was. Nice tall shiny new buildings in some areas though (with high vacancy I should add)
I haven't been in a while, but the last time I was there it was miles ahead of where it was 5 years ago. Maybe it got worse, I know the real estate boom left a LOT of vacancies in those buildings.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
That sir is not true. They build towers all the time based on what they THINK will be demand, not on actual demand. There were two huge buildings built in Fort Lauderdale in plantation for example that sat almost completely empty for three years. This was from 2000 to about 2003. Commercial is just like residential, you build in anticipation of someone taking up the space.

Miami grows as financial capital:

RealEstateJournal | Office-Vacancy Rate Declines, Propelling Rents 2.1% Higher
Beacon Council

And Downtown has definitely gotten a million times better than what it used to be. New residents, new restaurants, business, a third Publix in Brickell alone, plus a Whole Foods (shows there is a supermarket demand which means there are more people moving into Downtown), 4 more office towers, who knows how many more residential towers, new Performing Arts Center, street cleaning, etc. Downtown has gotten a lot better.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I haven't been in a while, but the last time I was there it was miles ahead of where it was 5 years ago. Maybe it got worse, I know the real estate boom left a LOT of vacancies in those buildings.
throwing up buildings and actually having business in them are two different matters. They built a lot but its still not doing good. I wish I could find this article on Miami Herald I saw a few months back but I cant. The head of Burdines/Macys was complaining about how bad the downtown area is and how there is little business development, they also sited other businesses were complaining and some even talking of pulling out of downtown. Thats why its almost bordering absurd that this MSNBC series comes out and flies in the face of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Miami grows as financial capital:

RealEstateJournal | Office-Vacancy Rate Declines, Propelling Rents 2.1% Higher
Beacon Council

And Downtown has definitely gotten a million times better than what it used to be. New residents, new restaurants, business, a third Publix in Brickell alone, plus a Whole Foods (shows there is a supermarket demand which means there are more people moving into Downtown), 4 more office towers, who knows how many more residential towers, new Performing Arts Center, street cleaning, etc. Downtown has gotten a lot better.
now if we can just find something that says 2007 or 2008 as the year written

*edit*

Article talked up the Performing arts district and likened it to SOHO in NYC (snicker)

Here is the real story link (broken link)

article on downtown link (http://www.miamiherald.com/996/story/302275.html - broken link)

another one link (http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/256078.html - broken link)read the comments too

Last edited by Wild Style; 02-22-2008 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami