U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:55 PM

6,520 posts, read 9,489,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon_bombay10 View Post
Hello,

I currently live in NJ and work in NYC and have a job offer that would require relocation to Miami.
I'm a native, non-Hispanic, Miamian who also spent 25 years living in Maryland in the Washington, DC metro area (as you can no doubt tell from my SN). My first piece of advice to you would be to completely ignore the new posters with fewer than 10 posts who create accounts on City-Data for the sole purpose of trashing the city.

I moved back to Miami 3 years ago, first with an oceanfront condo in the North Beach section of Miami Beach, and then added a house about a year ago that is within walking distance of Coconut Grove, while also being a few miles east of Coral Gables. I think you're making a wise decision to choose between the Gables and the Grove. With a short commute to Le Jeune Rd., you won't have much of an issue during rush hour. I routinely travel from my house, through Coral Gables, to my parents' house in West Miami (which is just west of Coral Gables) during both morning and evening rush hours. There are shortcuts through neighborhoods that will get you from one point to another without much difficulty. It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes even during the height of rush hour to get from Coconut Grove to Coral Gables or vice versa.

I think that you'd love living in either area and would find plenty to do. Both areas have plenty of bars, restaurants, shopping, and entertainment venues. As an example, just last night my wife and I took the trolley into Coral Gables and went to see Lucy Woodward perform at the Open Stage Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J7hlSTiysY

In fact, we're thinking of going back tonight to listen to a jazz quintet.

OPEN STAGE CLUB

There are many places with live entertainment in the area; and if you include Brickell and downtown, you'll never run out of things to do between clubs, concerts, plays, ballet, etc. This area isn't comparable to NYC (or D.C. for that matter) of course, but don't listen to the people who tell you that there is no culture or entertainment here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 02:29 PM

88 posts, read 16,253 times
Most of my North East clients thoroughly enjoy living in Miami/Miami Beach. Most of them prefer the beach. They are tired of the harsh winters, shoveling snow, high cost of living, etc. and want something more simple.

If that's you, then you should go for the Grove or the Beach. If you are a city dweller, then listen to Elchevere and head to Brickell so you can be around all the highrises and such.

The Grove will definitely be a nice change of pace and if you are renting, its only a year and you can always move else where. It goes by quick too. First month you are getting settled and the last month you spend looking for places.

Sure traffic can suck, but I'm sure it does in the N.E too. I was visiting family in Philly a few months ago and the traffic downtown was way worse than our downtown traffic. I'm sure NYC /NJ can be way worse.

Regarding the giant bug comment from above, I definitely haven't experienced that. Most of my roach stories are from living in Apartment complexes in Orlando after a bad storm. I've lived in ground floor condos in Sobe, high rise downtown, small building in North Beach and never had a bug problem. We are adamant about never leaving food out and most buildings spray for bugs. I know there are restaurant with bug problems (check out the news segment on South Florida Dirty Dining) so I'm not saying we don't have bugs. Florida has plenty of bugs. But never in my bed or anything like that in the 6 years I've been in Miami and I'm on my 4th place.

The Grove has a very cool, eclectic vibe and most people I've met love living there. Can't say I've met anyone who 'hated' it where as people have hated living Downtown, parts of South Beach, etc.

the Rudeness is real, very real. My biggest pet peeve and it starts to wear on you after a few years. The first year is shock, the next years you get used to it, then you travel to other parts of the world and you realize how rude Miami can be. And I mean all parts of Miami. Aventura is just as rude as Brickell which can be just as rude as other parts. The gables is a bit nicer and the Grove is as well. People will actually say hi to you in your building or maybe hold a door for you at publix.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 PM

577 posts, read 214,180 times
Quote:
Hello,

I currently live in NJ and work in NYC and have a job offer that would require relocation to Miami. I am still considering the offer and have yet to make my final decision. I'm curious if anyone can touch on their experience moving to Miami, even if it wasn't from the Northeast. Do you like it so far? Are you happy with your choice? Also, I've been looking into potential housing opportunities. The job would be in Coral Gables. I am looking into Gables itself, but also areas like Coconut Grove. I've heard a lot of bad things about the traffic in Miami and it'd be great if someone could touch on how long a commute would be during rush hour from somewhere like Coconut Grove to Coral Gables (near Le Jeune road). Thanks!
Coconut Grove to the gables will be a pretty easy commute. Even living in Key Biscayne would be pretty easy.

I find most people are happiest here if they pick up a little Spanish and are willing to accept that the culture is predominantly Latino

In good news, I guarantee you won't have to face a single day snowed in!

Old 02-17-2017, 03:34 PM

13 posts, read 3,103 times
Quote:
I'm a native, non-Hispanic, Miamian who also spent 25 years living in Maryland in the Washington, DC metro area (as you can no doubt tell from my SN). My first piece of advice to you would be to completely ignore the new posters with fewer than 10 posts who create accounts on City-Data for the sole purpose of trashing the city.
Please. I moved here in 1969. I know more about this place than you ever will. I created an account to ask about another area, because I'm leaving this snake pit behind. Before you trash other people, educate yourself about them. Is it really necessary to criticize other people just because they disagree with you? Did you invent Miami? Are you its mom? Don't take it so personally.

Quote:
don't listen to the people who tell you that there is no culture or entertainment here.
Again, wrong. I'll give the OP an idea how bad it is. Miami can't support a classical radio station. There is a crew of people that opens one station after another, and every time, it turns into an endless fundraising effort, followed by bankruptcy and silence. One of my best friends is a music student at UM. He confirms what I said about the lack of jazz in Miami. If you want to play enough gigs to make it worthwhile, you have to go to Ft. Lauderdale, a much smaller city. We had one major jazz club here--the Van Dyke Cafe--and it went bust. Miami has no blues scene at all. One club--Satchmo--tried to make it work, and they went Tango Uniform in short order. We do have one reasonably good jazz radio station, WDNA.

The museums are crap, and if you go to Ticketmaster and search, you will see that many major performers who regularly hit places like Atlanta don't bother coming here.

Once more, God help you if you're black in Miami. You might as well be radioactive when you go to apply for jobs. I've been watching black friends run from this place since 2000. In Hispanic culture, the more black blood you have, the less people want to know you.

Quote:
Regarding the giant bug comment from above, I definitely haven't experienced that. Most of my roach stories are from living in Apartment complexes in Orlando after a bad storm. I've lived in ground floor condos in Sobe, high rise downtown, small building in North Beach and never had a bug problem.
Your experience is somewhat unusual, especially for condo dwellers.

For anyone who has a Miami roach problem, let me suggest Amdro pellets. Nothing else, short of fumigation, comes close.

Quote:
the Rudeness is real, very real. My biggest pet peeve and it starts to wear on you after a few years. The first year is shock, the next years you get used to it, then you travel to other parts of the world and you realize how rude Miami can be. And I mean all parts of Miami.
There you go! It's not just me.

Last edited by A Little Hoarse; 02-17-2017 at 04:03 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 04:22 PM

6,520 posts, read 9,489,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
Please. I moved here in 1969. I know more about this place than you ever will.
That's pretty f'n funny. I was born and raised here and became a teenager here before you even thought of moving to South Florida. Not only did I then go to South Miami High and The U in the 1970s, but my mother grew up in Coconut Grove, went to Miami High in the 1940s, and my grandparents lived in South Beach from the 1950s on. My parents still live in the same neighborhood, and in fact the very same house, that I was born and raised in. My wife and I lived in Kendale Lakes in the 1980s, and now own both an oceanfront condo on Miami Beach as well as a single family house in the City of Miami. I have been and still am involved with community action activities in both the City of Miami and the City of Miami Beach.

So, lol at you thinking you have a better base of knowledge about Miami than I do. That said, I hope you find a place to live that you enjoy better than Miami. It must suck to live in a place you despise.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post

Your experience is somewhat unusual, especially for condo dwellers.

For anyone who has a Miami roach problem, let me suggest Amdro pellets. Nothing else, short of fumigation, comes close.
I mean, I do a lot of relocations and only 1-2 people ever complained to me about bugs in the 4-5 years I've been doing it. One of them was because of a botched renovation job by the owner. I tell them though, never leave food out. Sure I don't stay in touch with every client so maybe some had bad experiences....Just coming from Orlando, it was way worse. Maybe thats because I lived in Apt Complexes and those are much crappier compared to nice condo buildings.

Once you have a bug problem though, I agree, you need fumigation. Maybe the places I've chosen had good pest control, not sure. The ground floor place on 13th & Penn had twice monthly spraying, inside the units and outside so they were definitely on top it. The 5 story building in N. Beach on Calais didn't have any spraying. Loft Downtown only had exterior spraying. Not sure about 12th & meridian place but definitely never any interior spray at any other place because of our dog, we always declined.

Before starting my R.E. Biz, I managed restaurants at the Doral Resort (before Trump and after Trump) and let me tell you, that was the worst I'd ever seen. Roaches, Rats, Flying bugs, etc. A few months after I left, the former Mezazul space was turned into a 'BLT' Steak and was shut down due to bugs for a few days by the board of health. I used to tell upper management that it was only a matter of time.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 PM

253 posts, read 133,340 times
Quote:
Hello,

I currently live in NJ and work in NYC and have a job offer that would require relocation to Miami. I am still considering the offer and have yet to make my final decision. I'm curious if anyone can touch on their experience moving to Miami, even if it wasn't from the Northeast. Do you like it so far? Are you happy with your choice? Also, I've been looking into potential housing opportunities. The job would be in Coral Gables. I am looking into Gables itself, but also areas like Coconut Grove. I've heard a lot of bad things about the traffic in Miami and it'd be great if someone could touch on how long a commute would be during rush hour from somewhere like Coconut Grove to Coral Gables (near Le Jeune road). Thanks!
I grew up in Jersey, and moved here from NYC. People complain about traffic in Miami, but it's generally people that have never lived in a large metro area before. Keep in mind that until a decade or two ago, Miami was a minor hamlet with more tourists than residents. All of the people used to Miami being small aren't used to the influx of people, and they're freaking out. But compared to traffic in the Northeast, it's nothing. I remember one day driving to visit my family along 78 and it literally took me two hours to move one mile. That doesn't happen in Miami. It's a little frustrating someone's, because of all the bluehairs going 5 under the speed limit on the highway, but seriously but nearly as bad as people like to say it is.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:16 AM

1,621 posts, read 996,555 times
...besides the rudeness factor, I am noticing a huge distrust factor amongst people and institutions--probably justified. Many financial transactions require bank to bank cash transfers rather than checks or credit cards. The complicated rental process seems predicated on distrust or that something will go wrong and is far more cumbersome because of this than in other cities.

Then, yesterday, I walked around to a number of potential buildings I would consider buying at and asked front desk personnel if they were aware of any immediate or future construction that might take place near their property. The first response was one of "well, I dont know who you are" and there was a general reluctance to answer a very general question. I checked my tshirt to make sure it did not read I love Al Aqsa Martyr Brigade or INS and confirmed that it did not...another time, minimum wage security guards at the entrance to Brickell Key told me not to include their top secret, CIA security clearance level 7 booth in my photo, that it was prohibited.

Definite sense of paranoia and distrust in this city. Is this mentality because many of the immigrants who moved here lived in countries where their neighbors regularly spied on them?? I grew up in NY where one is brought up to be a bit paranoid and distrustful, but not to the level I have seen so far in Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Most of my North East clients thoroughly enjoy living in Miami/Miami Beach. Most of them prefer the beach. They are tired of the harsh winters, shoveling snow, high cost of living, etc. and want something more simple.

the Rudeness is real, very real. My biggest pet peeve and it starts to wear on you after a few years. The first year is shock, the next years you get used to it, then you travel to other parts of the world and you realize how rude Miami can be. And I mean all parts of Miami. Aventura is just as rude as Brickell which can be just as rude as other parts. The gables is a bit nicer and the Grove is as well. People will actually say hi to you in your building or maybe hold a door for you at publix.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-21-2017 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Yeah, we don't trust anyone in this city.

How can you when you can't even trust people to show up on time to an event, work, outing, etc.?

Maybe you are right and the city is full of people who come from places where they are taught not to trust.
The doormen just don't know the answer and are just being rude..its hard to distinguish between rude and distrust (or both in some cases).

My wife & I don't trust anyone and she's extra paranoid when we're out with our son. Never leaving a door open for a second, locking the doors to pump gas (people on camera sneaking in passenger door and grabbing purses and sneaking out), people stealing cars with kids inside them...and then in our business we deal with TONs of shady property owners and get the ole' "Don't worry, I take care of it" or "no problem, no problem" when it is a real problem.
Every time I present a Verbal counter offer after asking for it in writing, I get screwed and something else was changed that they didn't mention in the verbal offer. So now I have my sellers sign on the contract where it says "WITHOLD VERBAL OFFERS" so i'm no longer obligated to present them. If they want the property, put it ALL in writing, not just the price.

No one trusts anyone here. Look out for yourself at all times....

Especially when in a crosswalk!

Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 AM

1,621 posts, read 996,555 times
^ ^ ^

It is these little things or subcurrents I have picked up on in just 2 months that make me appreciate why our mutual friend Matt from the other, recently closed forum told everyone "EBIB"--everything is better in Broward...I am not there, at least not yet, and enjoy Miami for the benefits that come with living in a city vs suburbia. If I were not from a similar dog eat dog metro area originally (NY), I can definitely see how others who are not might/would rule out Miami....in CA, there was something similar--it was called LA vs. the rest of SoCal--those who did not want to put up with the additional day to day struggles in exchange for greater benefits did not live in LA and lived in more suburban style areas such as Orange County or San Diego--though more people spoke English in LA and there was much less of a distrust factor.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-22-2017 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami