U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,027 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My job is relocating me to the Miami downtown office. I currently reside in St. Louis. The cost of living here is drastically cheaper than Miami. Also, traffic here is not as bad as either. With my salary the absolute max rent I can afford is 2200. I would prefer to live in a single family home, but if I have to reside in an apartment I will. What areas would be suggested for me to live in? Any help would be useful! I don't know anything about the Miami area. Thank you in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM
 
Location: North Miami
157 posts, read 39,735 times
Reputation: 87
$2200 you can get a house West of Downtown near Shenandoah area, just depends on what's on the market as the turnover is low there.

you'll find plenty of 1 bedrooms and some 2 bedrooms in the Brickell/Downtown area for that budget and you'll get nice amenities like pool, gym, doorman, free water/sewer/trash/cable, etc.

If you go North, you can find a home in West Miami Shores for that price (93rd/94th to about 110th). The closer to Miami Ave, the better. the closer to 95 and it starts to get more run-down looking.

You can find some nice condos near Midtown as well which would be very convenient and offer lots of shopping/dining options as well as quick access to the causeway to the beach.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Weston, FL
3,344 posts, read 4,473,684 times
Reputation: 1013
I hope they are not reducing your salary because "the cost of living in Florida is less".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 02:33 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,027 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Doral
603 posts, read 236,055 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia314 View Post
Thank you so much!!!
Italia you didn't mention who was coming with you. If you're single, I'd suggest you start off by living in midtown, Brickell or Edgewater, and then move further out once you've become accustomed to the local traffic and know the neighborhood you want to stay in longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 07:32 PM
 
37 posts, read 22,587 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
$2200 you can get a house West of Downtown near Shenandoah area, just depends on what's on the market as the turnover is low there.

you'll find plenty of 1 bedrooms and some 2 bedrooms in the Brickell/Downtown area for that budget and you'll get nice amenities like pool, gym, doorman, free water/sewer/trash/cable, etc.

If you go North, you can find a home in West Miami Shores for that price (93rd/94th to about 110th). The closer to Miami Ave, the better. the closer to 95 and it starts to get more run-down looking.

You can find some nice condos near Midtown as well which would be very convenient and offer lots of shopping/dining options as well as quick access to the causeway to the beach.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Italia you didn't mention who was coming with you. If you're single, I'd suggest you start off by living in midtown, Brickell or Edgewater, and then move further out once you've become accustomed to the local traffic and know the neighborhood you want to stay in longer.
I notice you both didn't mention Miami or South Beach. I would imagine this is a good area for singles and OP can find something in his price range too, yes?

What about North Miami or Aventura? Are those good areas for OP in his budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Weston, FL
3,344 posts, read 4,473,684 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post
I notice you both didn't mention Miami or South Beach. I would imagine this is a good area for singles and OP can find something in his price range too, yes?

What about North Miami or Aventura? Are those good areas for OP in his budget?
A single family home in Aventura will be spendy, so will be good areas in North Miami. But maybe the Ojus area or Ives Estates will work, but won't be anything spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Doral
603 posts, read 236,055 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post
I notice you both didn't mention Miami or South Beach. I would imagine this is a good area for singles and OP can find something in his price range too, yes?

What about North Miami or Aventura? Are those good areas for OP in his budget?
Anyone who knows my posts here knows that I always encourage people to live as close to work as possible. All three areas I mentioned are filled with rentable condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 11:15 AM
 
Location: North Miami
157 posts, read 39,735 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
A single family home in Aventura will be spendy, so will be good areas in North Miami. But maybe the Ojus area or Ives Estates will work, but won't be anything spectacular.
I live in North Miami near Aventura in a large condo in his budget. I would NOT recommend commuting to downtown on a daily basis.

Whenever a client wants to meet before 10AM near Downtown/Brickell its absolutely miserable. (same thing if I was leaving Brickell/Downtown after 4PM).

Best to stay in areas that you can walk/bike/metroMover to work. I only mentioned Miami Shores because he wanted a house. You can't get a house in Sobe/Nobe for under $2500/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Aventura
171 posts, read 138,527 times
Reputation: 94
There's some good advice here. I would avoid commuting from North to South everyday unless you're close to work. Miami Shores is an excellent option and you might be able to find something in that budget.


El Portal, next to Miami Shores a little South could also be viable. Both are only about 20-30 minutes to downtown during rush hour traffic and you can avoid I-95.


Then there is the abundance of new condos in Midtown, Brickell, Miami River/Flagler areas which would put you minutes away from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top