U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:31 PM

10,281 posts, read 10,984,182 times
Default Barking dogs

Someone please help me. I live in Cutler Bay and I've got someone near me with a serial barking dog. The dog barks all day and all night. It's woken me up several times during the night and I've actually gotten out of bed at 3 am to see if I can find it. I can't. I can't even find it during the day. I think its on someone's patio or something. I'm not sure if I can call the cops at that time and say I don't know where this dog is but please make it stop.
I don't understand how people are so oblivious that this doesn't affect their neighbors..I just went to nap right now and couldn't because of that stupid dog.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 PM

6,430 posts, read 12,751,179 times
Yes you can call the cops! And your neighbor can be fined the second time you call on them, I believe it is.
My neighbor down the street has a similiar issue with his neighbor but its a macaw instead that is loud. Cops have been out there, and they were told they were in violation of the noise ordinance by the cops. Next time she gets fined.

Here is a link to the law Miami-Dade Mayor's Office of Film & Entertainment Website (http://www.miamidade.gov/filmapp/ftemplate.asp?Operation=noiseord - broken link)

Old 03-04-2008, 05:43 PM

452 posts, read 872,362 times
himain my buddy lived by 87 and 184th behind him he had this house with a barking dog and the owner gave him an attitude when he confronted him...so took matters in his own hands.....

Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 3,548,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
himain my buddy lived by 87 and 184th behind him he had this house with a barking dog and the owner gave him an attitude when he confronted him...so took matters in his own hands.....
That sounds very ominous. I hope you are not implying he did somethign bad to the dog because if you are and he did then I think you 'buddy' is lower than pond scum. There are proceudres in place to deal with noise issues as the other postes have mentioned. Vigilanty actions against a dog are not acceptable in civilized society.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 24,444 times
I put hushboard up over my bedroom windows. It makes it completely dark at night, which is good. I also put a box fan up on one window sill, (you have to secure it in place, and clean it often.) which completely obliterates the dog's high pitch barking. From my experience, the owner won't give a damn, and neither will the police. If you own your home, you can completely sound proof your bedroom, but it probably is costly if you are not handy yourself.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info but why should I have to sound proof my bedroom? Shouldn't the owners be responsible for their animals?? I find that a little absurd that I have to spend money in order to sleep in justified quiet.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 AM

6 posts, read 24,444 times
Yes, the owner should be responsible, but ultimately, the only thing that will happen is that you will suffer sleepless nights. Unless the police "catch" the barking dog, nothing can be done. Even if they do catch it barking, the owner will just be warned, and you will have an enemy for a neighbor.

The first barking dog problem I had, the owner refused to reason, refused to keep the dog in at night, and the police got sick of me calling, because they had "real" issues to worry about. One of the Cops told me HE had a problem with a barking dog, and the best thing I could do was to move, or sound proof my bedroom. (As he had done) Well, I moved, and was awakened by a freaking barking dog my first night! Since I took the Cop's advice, I've been sleeping every night.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 AM

38 posts, read 90,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Someone please help me. I live in Cutler Bay and I've got someone near me with a serial barking dog. The dog barks all day and all night. It's woken me up several times during the night and I've actually gotten out of bed at 3 am to see if I can find it. I can't. I can't even find it during the day. I think its on someone's patio or something. I'm not sure if I can call the cops at that time and say I don't know where this dog is but please make it stop.
I don't understand how people are so oblivious that this doesn't affect their neighbors..I just went to nap right now and couldn't because of that stupid dog.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

do u happen to live on 240 st area and 107?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM

nope more north in cutler bay..

Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,610,023 times
I had the same problem, they were my neighbors lovely pair of Rottweilers. I live in the CITY of Miami yet I called Animal Control. They said that you have to call them and they have to come out and "witness" it. I said "nobody answers the phone at 2AM to come out and check, I was told that the police had to go out and document it. (Yeah, right). So, what I ended up doing was calling Animal Control when the dogs were loose. Everytime they were running around in the street alone, off leash, I made a complaint. I had neighbors do the same. Then one day a patrol was in the neighborhood. They didn't witness this, but they addressed the owners. Aparently they got a ticket for not having their dogs registered and were warned about the other complaints. Not much came of it, but at least they were fined. Dogs still there, still barking. Still viscious and annoying, but unfortunately the rights of the obnoxious are protected.

Try talking to your neighbors, call the cops, have other people do the same....and something might get done. Especially in Cutler Bay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami