Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:27 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyCigar View Post
North of South Beach, Miami Beach is heavily Latino (like all of Miami)....
That's not true. The Mid Beach area (33140 zip code), which runs all the way up to 63rd Street, has more whites than Latinos. In fact, there are more Whites than all other races combined.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/33140.html

Ironically and contrary to your statement, it is South Beach (33139 zip code) that has more Latinos than Whites (18,097 vs 17,706) rather than the area to its immediate north.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/33139.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
I was talking about North Beach, check the demographics for 33141. 2/3s of the people are Latinos and more Latinos live there than the entire Mid-Beach.
But you didn't say North Beach; you said north of South Beach. That's a distinction with a very big difference. I'm sure you can appreciate the difference. At least I hope so.

Quote:
I suggest you stop trying to correct people, or at least be smarter about it.
I suggest you quit making erroneous statements, or at least learn to write more coherently.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 AM

1,049 posts, read 959,736 times
Actually what TastyCigar said at first was perfectly fine, and not erroneous. North of South Beach is clear to me as being the areas of Miami Beach excluding South Beach (33139). That would mean all other zip codes north of South Beach combined, not exclusively Mid Beach.

When factoring that, he is correct, there are more Latinos than Whites in that entire area north of South Beach. In fact it's not even close. If you add the populations of both zip codes, there are 32,771 Latinos vs 20,021 whites. Of course there will be some margin of error due to the fact that you can be both White AND Latino. The proper term in this argument should be "Hispanic" I suppose.

Also, the 33140 Zip code has only marginally more whites than Latinos, if you look at the link you just posted. About 1,424 more whites in Mid Beach, and that's from data taken most likely a couple years ago, so...

Old 05-02-2017, 01:23 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticPalm View Post
I don't think the problem is the late call. Brickell has the same late call, it feels safer and classier. It's the music and crowd combo, and while we cannot change what tourists demand, we can increase local demand by building a young professional base that lives on the Beach.
Brickell definitely feels more cosmopolitan and sophisticated than Miami Beach.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 PM

1,049 posts, read 959,736 times
Quote:
Re Latinos - I think the census allows them to check both White and Hispanic and if they check Hispanic they're separated in some demographic breakdowns.

Personally it's ridiculous, most of the Latinos here I'd say are white. A good friend is from Argentina, blue eyes and blond hair and from German ancestors, but because she's from Argentina she'd be separated in some demographic breakdowns. I'm dating a Brazilian whose ancestry is solely from Portugal and Italy. Now, I'm not sure if she bothers to check Latino on US census forms. But you get the point.

Yup, there are a lot of Caucasian Latinos in Miami which makes these demographic studies even more confusing. My girlfriend and I fall into this category, so we're part of the problem lol.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 8,888 times
Quote:
It's probably more of a building by building thing in South Beach.

North of South Beach, Miami Beach is heavily Latino (like all of Miami) however South Beach has more diversity with Americans and Europeans thrown into the mix.

In my building, everyone is either from NYC/NJ/Boston, Europe, or South America. My neighbor splits her time between Paris and Miami Beach for example. Another neighbor has come full time to retire but originally they're from Jersey.

There are not a lot of Black people who live on the Beach, according to Wikipedia it's 4.4%. Most of the Black people you see on the Beach are tourists. Miami Beach has become a huge draw, a lot of the clubs play hip-hop music, etc.

This is becoming a thorn in the side for many of the White and Latino residents, who are trying to kill South Beach's tourist destination status and obviously they're getting major pushback from the nightclubs who rely on this tourism.

SoBe is only americans nd lations, very little euros, they always say theres alot of euros here pero no not true, very little, all are tourist. yes true we, us latinos were tired of the ghetto douches who party on our streets its annyoing nd they stupid all they do is cause problem

Old 05-08-2017, 12:33 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,417 times
South Beach was a mess this weekend, spillover from the hip hop festival in downtown apparently. I don't mind the partying and people living it up, not even the occasional smell of weed--but just control the violent crime and respect the scene! Many more police sirens than a typical good weather busy weekend, and two people shot at the Fountainbleu hotel, perps still on the loose! Miami-Vice vibe in a way, I suppose. Police either too busy with criminal activity or too antipathetic to do traffic enforcement. Between gun violence and traffic violence (for me walkability was the main advantage of living on the Beach), this town is really going downhill--I really hate to dis the most iconic part of my hometown, but I'm kind of relieved to be moving on after over 3 years on the Beach.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 624 times
South Beach was never like Miami Vice, and I know because I lived there from 1985 to 1995. It was the greatest place ever, so many different kinds of people, especially before it really started to gentrify. I am sad to see that people here want to turn in into a boring middle-class suburb, with proper "professionals" and not-so-concealed racist BS, because back in the day everyone was invited: white, black, cuban, haitian, europeans on vacation, straight, gay, transgender, lots of artists and criminals, old retired people, 20-something college kids... it was like the French Riviera, or else like the Weimar era before WWII. All the bars and dance clubs were open until either 6 or 7am, and then they would close for an hour before reopening; you would walk across the street to another bar when one closed and then back an hour later when that one closed and the first one reopened. There was never a time of the night when you couldn't get a pate sandwich or buy a hammer and some goggles. My apartment a block from the beach was 200 dollars a month for the whole of the decade.

If you don't like noise or black people or hispanics or Latinos or gays or whathaveyou, and only want boring 9-5 white "professional" people and no noise in your neighborhood, maybe you should not live in a place that has been a party and vacation and tourist destination full of people from all over the world who either work in the service industry or don't have to work for a living for going on 35 years now... and then throughout the whole history before then.

There are few places on Earth with such amazing architecture and seaside and restaurants and bars and people enjoying themselves at all hours. If you are too old or square or boring or "professional" to dig that, you should actually just move to a place where people are boring and square and professional. Why destroy everyone else's fun?

I lived there in my 20s and early 30s and one day I decided that I was tired. Did I whine and moan about other people having fun? No, I just removed myself to another state with a different lifestyle. That way, whenever I want to, I can still go back and have fun on Miami Beach before it is sucked back under the sea.

Stop being a selfish loser.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:59 PM

234 posts, read 387,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken View Post
South Beach was never like Miami Vice, and I know because I lived there from 1985 to 1995. It was the greatest place ever, so many different kinds of people, especially before it really started to gentrify. I am sad to see that people here want to turn in into a boring middle-class suburb, with proper "professionals" and not-so-concealed racist BS, because back in the day everyone was invited: white, black, cuban, haitian, europeans on vacation, straight, gay, transgender, lots of artists and criminals, old retired people, 20-something college kids... it was like the French Riviera, or else like the Weimar era before WWII. All the bars and dance clubs were open until either 6 or 7am, and then they would close for an hour before reopening; you would walk across the street to another bar when one closed and then back an hour later when that one closed and the first one reopened. There was never a time of the night when you couldn't get a pate sandwich or buy a hammer and some goggles. My apartment a block from the beach was 200 dollars a month for the whole of the decade.

If you don't like noise or black people or hispanics or Latinos or gays or whathaveyou, and only want boring 9-5 white "professional" people and no noise in your neighborhood, maybe you should not live in a place that has been a party and vacation and tourist destination full of people from all over the world who either work in the service industry or don't have to work for a living for going on 35 years now... and then throughout the whole history before then.

There are few places on Earth with such amazing architecture and seaside and restaurants and bars and people enjoying themselves at all hours. If you are too old or square or boring or "professional" to dig that, you should actually just move to a place where people are boring and square and professional. Why destroy everyone else's fun?

I lived there in my 20s and early 30s and one day I decided that I was tired. Did I whine and moan about other people having fun? No, I just removed myself to another state with a different lifestyle. That way, whenever I want to, I can still go back and have fun on Miami Beach before it is sucked back under the sea.

Stop being a selfish loser.
The South Beach you are romanticizing about does not exist anymore and has not existed for a long time. In your day South Beach was quaint, a little seedy, and fun. Today it is not quaint at all and is becoming increasingly seedy with pockets of extreme wealth thrown in. Miami and Miami Beach is much more expensive than it was in the 90’s and so I think a lot of people on this forum are saying they want the young professionals in Miami Beach because they are the ones who can afford to live there and breath new life into some parts of the neighborhood. Back in the 90’s you could bring in artists, service workers, and upstart models to bring life to Miami Beach but not anymore. Real estate prices ran out the models and photographers who were originally attracted to the beach by the sunlight and cheap rents but now they are gone. You were lucky to live in Miami Beach’s golden age.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:32 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
The South Beach you are romanticizing about does not exist anymore and has not existed for a long time. In your day South Beach was quaint, a little seedy, and fun. Today it is not quaint at all and is becoming increasingly seedy with pockets of extreme wealth thrown in. Miami and Miami Beach is much more expensive than it was in the 90’s and so I think a lot of people on this forum are saying they want the young professionals in Miami Beach because they are the ones who can afford to live there and breath new life into some parts of the neighborhood. Back in the 90’s you could bring in artists, service workers, and upstart models to bring life to Miami Beach but not anymore. Real estate prices ran out the models and photographers who were originally attracted to the beach by the sunlight and cheap rents but now they are gone. You were lucky to live in Miami Beach’s golden age.
Still plenty of $1000 studios and $1300-$1500 1 bedrooms from 1st to 23rd street and a ton more in North Beach.

$200/mo by the beach? That's crazy but I wasn't in Miami in the 80s so I won't argue his point.

Its very easy to be a waiter/bartender and make $50k/year so a $1300/mo pad is not a burden to live 'in paradise'. Or get a 2 bedroom for $2k/mo and get a roommate like most service people do until you get married or what have you.

Sobe isn't all glitz & glam. Lots of regular people in the interior streets between Alton and Washington and still a good bit of old retirees throughout the beach. Even South of Fifth still has some cheap buildings. Sure its no frills at these prices, but hey, you're in Sobe, you don't need a doorman/high end gym/ infinity pool, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami