Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 9,750 times

Advertisements

I know I'm 30 years too late blah blah blah. But I'm going to get a job and hopefully this summer I can go see South Beach and dress like Don Johnson. My facial hair isn't fully in yet but hopefully by then my mustache area is thicker so I can have the stubble that Don had. I don't like Tubbs character haha so I won't mention him. Also any must see spots in South Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 06:53 PM

236 posts, read 388,266 times
You answered your own question, you're 30 years too late.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 PM

33 posts, read 31,919 times
You can still see people in white blazers, white shoes and pink shirts in South Beach. You see a lot of weird fashion statements actually.

South Beach is getting less 'Miami Vice' and more 'ratchet' due to the kind of music most of the clubs are playing. As someone involved with a lot of the goings on in this city (from the mayor to city commissioner, to the police department) I cannot emphasize enough that there is a mini-war going on for the soul of South Beach. People are floating late-calls of 2am for Ocean Drive (already steps have been made in that direction) and the city is actively trying to kill Urban Beach weekend by scheduling other city events on the island.

We will see the outcome.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 9,750 times
Wow I guess I need to visit quickly.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 PM

21 posts, read 19,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticPalm View Post
You can still see people in white blazers, white shoes and pink shirts in South Beach. You see a lot of weird fashion statements actually.

South Beach is getting less 'Miami Vice' and more 'ratchet' due to the kind of music most of the clubs are playing. As someone involved with a lot of the goings on in this city (from the mayor to city commissioner, to the police department) I cannot emphasize enough that there is a mini-war going on for the soul of South Beach. People are floating late-calls of 2am for Ocean Drive (already steps have been made in that direction) and the city is actively trying to kill Urban Beach weekend by scheduling other city events on the island.

We will see the outcome.
2 am last call and no urban beach weekend are All good things imo. The less ratchet Miami Beach is the better. It should be a safe desireable hang out spot Where educated non ratchet people should feel comfortable hanging out.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:47 AM

33 posts, read 31,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlec View Post
2 am last call and no urban beach weekend are All good things imo. The less ratchet Miami Beach is the better. It should be a safe desireable hang out spot Where educated non ratchet people should feel comfortable hanging out.
I agree with the desired goal, just not the means.

I think the means is to attract more young professionals to Miami Beach. Currently Miami Beach is a very polarized place, with the ultra-wealthy and people in the hospitality industry living side by side. There are few young professionals living here, mostly because on the Beach there are few white-collar jobs available and traffic onto and off the Beach is a nightmare. Most young-professionals choose to live in Brickell, and increasingly Downtown over Miami Beach.

I firmly believe Miami Beach is more desirable than Brickell and especially Downtown. We're more walkable, more iconic, more restaurants, more lounges, more clubs, more spas, more things to do, not to mention the Beach.

But traffic is a killer, and parking is expensive on the Beach.

The solution is to create more white-collar jobs on the Beach. The easiest path to this is building hospitals. They're building one on Alton and 6-7th if memory is serving me.

But the other path to this is building better PT to the Beach. Have the Metrorail come to Miami Beach. That way young professionals in Brickell may start to consider Miami Beach, even if their jobs are there, it's no longer a PTA to live on the Beach.

However, this is being opposed by the residents of Miami Beach. Very vociferously. They're afraid the "wrong kind of people" will come to Miami Beach more often, and they don't want them on the Beach. I never rode the PT in Miami but apparently it's free....

I think this is the case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Yes, a bit more from the 'wrong crowd' will come to South Beach more frequently, but even more young professionals will move here, driving demand from the clubs and lounges to play other forms of music.

I don't think the problem is the late call. Brickell has the same late call, it feels safer and classier. It's the music and crowd combo, and while we cannot change what tourists demand, we can increase local demand by building a young professional base that lives on the Beach.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:57 AM

21 posts, read 19,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticPalm View Post
I agree with the desired goal, just not the means.

I think the means is to attract more young professionals to Miami Beach. Currently Miami Beach is a very polarized place, with the ultra-wealthy and people in the hospitality industry living side by side. There are few young professionals living here, mostly because on the Beach there are few white-collar jobs available and traffic onto and off the Beach is a nightmare. Most young-professionals choose to live in Brickell, and increasingly Downtown over Miami Beach.

I firmly believe Miami Beach is more desirable than Brickell and especially Downtown. We're more walkable, more iconic, more restaurants, more lounges, more clubs, more spas, more things to do, not to mention the Beach.

But traffic is a killer, and parking is expensive on the Beach.

The solution is to create more white-collar jobs on the Beach. The easiest path to this is building hospitals. They're building one on Alton and 6-7th if memory is serving me.

But the other path to this is building better PT to the Beach. Have the Metrorail come to Miami Beach. That way young professionals in Brickell may start to consider Miami Beach, even if their jobs are there, it's no longer a PTA to live on the Beach.

However, this is being opposed by the residents of Miami Beach. Very vociferously. They're afraid the "wrong kind of people" will come to Miami Beach more often, and they don't want them on the Beach. I never rode the PT in Miami but apparently it's free....

I think this is the case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Yes, a bit more from the 'wrong crowd' will come to South Beach more frequently, but even more young professionals will move here, driving demand from the clubs and lounges to play other forms of music.

I don't think the problem is the late call. Brickell has the same late call, it feels safer and classier. It's the music and crowd combo, and while we cannot change what tourists demand, we can increase local demand by building a young professional base that lives on the Beach.
Yeah I agree with this assessment. I think Miami Beach should be targeting young professionals that is the ideal crowd. To go with that though they need to encourage businesses to set up shop on the beach. Eventually the riff raff will clear out. If Times Square can be cleaned up then I believe Miami Beach can as well. (I understand it's not a perfect comparison).

Old 04-14-2017, 12:16 PM

27 posts, read 37,869 times
Does this answer your question?

Scarface's Chainsaw Scene Location on Ocean Drive Is Turning Into a CVS | Miami New Times

Old 04-14-2017, 12:45 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlec View Post
. Eventually the riff raff will clear out. If Times Square can be cleaned up then I believe Miami Beach can as well. (I understand it's not a perfect comparison).
It's sad how riff raff can take over like cockroaches.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,028 times
This is very sad.
So I think it has been going even worse since I left Miami. I remember that Labor Day holiday week is the worst time to be in South Beach.

Another problem contributing to the whole situation is that there is not too many white-collar jobs available, not only in Miami Beach area but also in Miami-FLL metro area in general.
I had to move out off Miami because there is no engineering jobs down there. I at least know 25 engineers in Philadelphia - NYC areas that are from FIU and UM. They are native Miamians that could not find any jobs down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami