Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:21 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times

Advertisements

white flight? Overtown was never a white neighborhood, it's a historic black one that had seen better days until I-95 sliced the area in half and saw a dramatic population loss leaving only poor residents there. As for driving thru there during the day I never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Although I'm not sure about Overtown, I do know that Dade County was once primarily populated by Caucasians. Hialeah was once 90% White Non-Hispanic.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times
It had a lot to do with Civil Rights of 1964 where the black people had been contained in Overtown up until this time ,after that the blacks moved out to the suburbs and the population diminished drastically and the once close-knit community gradually declined and became rundown. It also had something to do with I-395 cutting through Overtown.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 AM

106 posts, read 433,516 times
Overton is basically North of the New Performing Arts Center, up Biscayne. Crime ridden at night. I used to live at 17th and the bay; crack heads in the park at night, hookers on the corners were eventaully pushed further North along Biscayne at night. What ever you do, do not go West over to the railroad tracks at night. You will get jacked. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:07 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
Oh yea, my bad. Overtown was a historic black neighborhood in Miami. It's sad what happened to it but maybe with the restoration, it can enjoy light at the end of the tunnel. The Miami Heat arena is located in Overtown, which is interesting.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:17 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,432 times
I think the arena is actually more in Downtown than in Overtown. Biscayne Boulevard is much more lively than any street in Overtown.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Oh yea, my bad. Overtown was a historic black neighborhood in Miami. It's sad what happened to it but maybe with the restoration, it can enjoy light at the end of the tunnel. The Miami Heat arena is located in Overtown, which is interesting.
You have made it clear twice that you should probably visit Miami a few more times and study the history. AA Arena is in DOWNTOWN, and about as far east in downtown and as far away as you can really get from Overtown. Overtown was ALWAYS a black neighborhood, never "gorgeous back in the 80s" (I guess my grandparents of 50+ years in Florida tell me wrong when they said that the 80s were hell here?) or anything like that. It was named a "colored" area back in the segregation days and is one of the oldest areas in Miami.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
The Miami Heat arena is located in Overtown, which is interesting.

That's overtown?! I was driving through there and didn't even realize it was bad.. thank god it wasn't night.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 PM

18 posts, read 63,365 times
I work near there and know people who grew up there, but they won't walk around even in the daytime and they won't drive through at night. Crime there waxes and wanes, and you never know in advance until you get there. I saw a smash and grab there once, but nothing else.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 PM

50 posts, read 166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Pretty tough neighborhood. Lots of drugs, crime, and prostitution. Overtown will soon be undergoing a multi-million dollar revitalization from a private developer, so hopefully that will help to clean it up.

The problem from what I understand is that the Housing Authority, among others, is actively opposing private investment in the bad areas of overtown and instead funneling the money to their pet "megaprojects" downtown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami