Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 AM

29 posts, read 36,830 times

Advertisements

I was offered a job in Miami, but with my familiy we have just setled in Orlando. People lied to us -all along the way- telling that this is a quiet neighborhood but we have already seen some drug dealing, neighbor across the street is in jail and his family commutes to the Pine Hills crime area frequently. What shoud I do? My teenage daughter was adjusting to the idea of her new nice school, Freedom High, here in Orlando. Any advice please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:26 AM

351 posts, read 460,937 times
Where exactly in Miami will your new job be? - Miami is not New York City but it's not countryside Orlando either. You may find the same issues you mentioned in Miami, so don't tell people lied to you again - the only difference is that your neighbors will be from a different island of the Caribbean. Depending where your job will be located and how much it pays, you may live in one of the nice areas of Miami or West Broward.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:39 AM

378 posts, read 487,125 times
As someone who just moved from Miami (Cutler Bay) to Orlando (Winter Garden/Horizon West) I would say don't do it unless the pay is extremely well 1.5x+ more than what you make now)

Based on your experience, you should've learned that you can't take everything at face value and must do your own research. Almost every listing website shows you the community info on schools/crimes and etc...so use that to your benefit.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,731 times
The cost of living for a nicer area in/around Miami is considerably higher than Orlando. So you should definitely take that into account. Also, chances are you can find better schools in Orlando within more reasonably priced neighborhoods than what you might find in Miami. However, If you're new job pays much more than you're currently making it might be worth it.

Just know that there are some rough areas in Miami that are worse than Orlando. I suggest looking up areas within your housing budget online, then maybe schedule a trip down to drive through the areas and see what you think of them before committing to anything.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthieMoves View Post
I was offered a job in Miami, but with my familiy we have just setled in Orlando. People lied to us -all along the way- telling that this is a quiet neighborhood but we have already seen some drug dealing, neighbor across the street is in jail and his family commutes to the Pine Hills crime area frequently. What shoud I do? My teenage daughter was adjusting to the idea of her new nice school, Freedom High, here in Orlando. Any advice please?
Who told you that part of Orlando was a good area? Freedom High is off of OBT (South of the FL Mall) which is NOT a nice area. In fact, anything near OBT in all of Orlando is pretty bad.
Freedom has 2.5 rating on Google and a 6/10 on GreatSchools..if you are living in Orlando, you should be in an 8-10 school rating area. Otherwise, why bother living in the suburbs. Miami has plenty of 6 out of 10 schools.

If you moved to Williamsburg and thought you were going to a different school, then maybe. Otherwise, you are not in a good part of Orlando. You need to be in Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Altamonte Springs, Hunter's Creek, Lake Nona, or maybe College Park. Otherwise, you are better off moving out of that area you are in now if they'll pay you to relocate.

I grew up in Orlando and finished my Bachelor's Degree at the Rosen campus of UCF which is very close to Williamsburg. Its just an 'ok' area and surrounded by tourists. If a friend asked me to move from Miami to Orlando, I wouldn't even think to recommend that area.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:17 PM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
Quote:
In the future, before you move, look at the crime maps of the area. That way, you know how frequently and which types of crime happen in your area.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:27 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
The same issues you are having in Orlando you will also find in Miami which is a much bigger metro.
Also what does the neighbor across the street is in jail and his family commutes to the Pine Hills crime area frequently have to do with you ?

Who lied to you about the neighborhood you moved into ? You sound like you had no idea as to what type of neighborhood you were moving into.

Are you going to be making more money in Miami where you could live in a better area with good schools?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 AM

378 posts, read 487,125 times
After taking a quick look at the OPs forum history, its no surprise that they find themselves in this situation.

Within 1 month the OP bounced across several different locations (NC - Chapel Hill/Wake County Area, then somewhere in Lake County FL, then asked about Stone(y?) Brook, Windermere and Winter Garden) and managed to find themselves living close to the worst part of Orlando (Pine Hills). Even after asking about Olympia vs Freedom high schools and was advised to go with Olympia for several reasons, still puts his kid in Freedom...

I don't know about everyone else, but when I moved to Miami it took me 5 months to find an area/house I would be satisfied with and when I moved to Orlando it took me 3 months. Granted this is more difficult for those coming from an international location, but you have other resources like those on this forums and if it were me, I would have more than 23 posts here asking a bunch of questions...

Old 05-25-2017, 01:22 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
I see the poster is from Argentina. Miami may be a good fit if you are looking for culture that you are familiar with. But as other's posted, you will need a higher budget. I knew a lot of people in Miami that placed their kids in private school or they lived in the far off southern suburbs like Cutler Bay. I would suggest to try another part of Orlando. But Florida cities in general have nice parts of town that back up to not as desirable areas. Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
After taking a quick look at the OPs forum history, its no surprise that they find themselves in this situation.

Within 1 month the OP bounced across several different locations (NC - Chapel Hill/Wake County Area, then somewhere in Lake County FL, then asked about Stone(y?) Brook, Windermere and Winter Garden) and managed to find themselves living close to the worst part of Orlando (Pine Hills). Even after asking about Olympia vs Freedom high schools and was advised to go with Olympia for several reasons, still puts his kid in Freedom...

I don't know about everyone else, but when I moved to Miami it took me 5 months to find an area/house I would be satisfied with and when I moved to Orlando it took me 3 months. Granted this is more difficult for those coming from an international location, but you have other resources like those on this forums and if it were me, I would have more than 23 posts here asking a bunch of questions...
Freedom High is not in or near Pines Hills. "Google search is a helpful tool". Some very rich expensive neighborhoods back up near Pine Hills off OBT and Colonial on the Lakes btw. million dollar homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami