Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:19 AM

677 posts, read 652,624 times

Advertisements

So as part of our delayed honeymoon the wife and I are going to be spending some time in Miami soon ... very soon in fact. We are looking actually cruising out of the port, but on our return we have like 4 days staying on Miami Beach.

I have travelled most of the country, and spent a ton of time in Florida, but neither of us have ever been to Miami, and I have wanted to come for some time. We are wondering what things would you would recommend for us to do while in town? Not necesarily looking for "touristy things" more cool, groovy, authentic Miami kinds of things.

We do love art, nature, consider ourselves foodies, and like to dance. Things we're currently considering/have lightly penciled in for our schedule include the Perez Art Museum, Wynwood Arts District, a walking tour/culinary tour of Little Havana and (possibly) Vizcaya Museum and Gardens. So, I appreciate any feedback, but what are your "must-do's", if you had family or close friends flying in where would you take them or recommend they go?

Thanks so much for your time and any feedback!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:03 PM

874 posts, read 898,613 times
I think you've got a good start on things.

If you're really a foodie, I think you may want to rethink the culinary tour... you can pick your own spots pretty easily, and skip the non-gourmet options. There are walking tours that might be better instead.

I'd create my own culinary tour of little havana as follows:

- Cuban Coffee from Versailles - maybe accompanied by a small sweet
Honestly, I go for the people watching rather than the food.

- Lunch at La Carreta (although others may weigh in with better suggestions)

- Ice Cream from Azucar

Unfortunately, I don't consider this a walkable distance (it's 20 blocks, and it's summer in Miami). Check out dominos on Calle 8 as well.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:42 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,614,437 times
^ You might want to clarify dominos on Calle Ocho as in the park and not the pizza chain !

Also check out the new Frost Science Museum since you will be next door to the Perez Miami Art Museum anyways.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:39 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,629,429 times
Renting bicycles at Shark Valley is always fun.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:17 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,644,830 times
Since you mentioned Wynwood, I'd recommend it. It's not the biggest area and it's still evolving since it's still very young but still a cool place to visit for about 2H.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:23 PM

683 posts, read 852,236 times
You should do everything you hear about on TV and from forums. Just DON'T fall in love and want to move. Living there is way different from visiting.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:41 PM

253 posts, read 433,951 times
Publix

Old 05-30-2017, 07:37 AM

1,049 posts, read 959,310 times
Since you'll be in Miami Beach I suggest walking around Lincoln Road and Espanola Way. Wouldn't necessarily recommend eating there since the places are kind of pricey and tourist traps, but maybe if you want to grab a coffee or mojito it's not bad.

Wynwood sounds like a must for you guys, as it seems you already know, so definitely check it out the Wynwood Walls and there are some decent dining options around there was well. Wynwood Kitchen & Bar is pretty good and MIAM Café is cool and sort of iconic, they have very good breakfast.

Vizcaya is also worth checking out, it also helps that it is very close to Coconut Grove and Coco Walk, which is worth checking out. It's only a couple miles from Calle Ocho as well, so you can probably see all of them in the same day.

If you feel like venturing south a little there are also the Fairchild Botanical Gardens and the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables which are pretty cool.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 AM

5,018 posts, read 7,440,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Since you'll be in Miami Beach I suggest walking around Lincoln Road and Espanola Way. Wouldn't necessarily recommend eating there since the places are kind of pricey and tourist traps, but maybe if you want to grab a coffee or mojito it's not bad.

Vizcaya is also worth checking out, it also helps that it is very close to Coconut Grove and Coco Walk, which is worth checking out. It's only a couple miles from Calle Ocho as well, so you can probably see all of them in the same day.

Enjoy your visit!
Ditto!

Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM

677 posts, read 652,624 times
Thanks so much for all the great input everybody, it is very much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami