Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 09:45 AM

400 posts, read 515,361 times

Advertisements

From what we've seen, the only significant change from the previous administration executive orders is the no more wet/dry foot.

Visibly, even the hard core Vigilia Mambisa - which may have about a dozen members left, in their 90s approaching 100 - lost the intention of triumphantly returning. The generations after them, as anyone can appreciate from the marches on Calle 8, have no idea other than party and improvised parade.
Fidel Castro dies, right? Who amongst them even cares about it today.

So reversing the Cuban Policy reversal is a big spectacle for the masses, which leaves things as they were before reversal, are after reversal and will be after reversing the reversals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 10:44 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
From what we've seen, the only significant change from the previous administration executive orders is the no more wet/dry foot.

Visibly, even the hard core Vigilia Mambisa - which may have about a dozen members left, in their 90s approaching 100 - lost the intention of triumphantly returning. The generations after them, as anyone can appreciate from the marches on Calle 8, have no idea other than party and improvised parade.
Fidel Castro dies, right? Who amongst them even cares about it today.

So reversing the Cuban Policy reversal is a big spectacle for the masses, which leaves things as they were before reversal, are after reversal and will be after reversing the reversals.
Not exactly. This makes no sense other than to kiss Rubio's butt for going after Comey in the hearing and cater to the older dying bitter Cuban exile population in the minority. Sixty percent of Cuban Americans want an open relationship with Cuba.

This is simply political favors. Trump doesn't care about human rights abuses--he is having a love affair with Saudi Arabia and China.

Bring back the wet foot dry foot policy? So encourage more Cuban refugees to come over and be given instant welfare? Great idea.

He is also going to restrict travel again and restrict trade, there by dashing hopes of economic opportunities in Cuba and the US. This is typical of Trump's shortsighted and regressive policies. Also good for Russia. What a surprise. The swamp in action. I hope he is met with large protests in his childish zeal to reverse everything Obama did due to his own emotional resentment of him. This is a bad move.

"...Among the options under consideration are banning U.S. companies from doing business with Cuban enterprises tied to the military and tightening rules on Americans traveling there, according to people familiar with the discussions.

A White House official, asked about the latest meeting, said the Cuba review is still under way and “not final.”
The U.S. airline and travel industries have made clear they do not want to see reinstatement of Cuba restrictions.

But Trump has come under heavy pressure from Cuban-American lawmakers, including Senator Marco Rubio and Representative Mario Diaz-Balart, to roll back Obama’s rapprochement..."

One pro-Cuba advocacy group, EngageCuba, commissioned a recent study that claimed reversing the Obama administration policies could cost the U.S. more than $6 billion and 12,000 jobs during Trump’s first term...

Trump to unveil new U.S.-Cuba policy next Friday in Miami

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN190332

Old 06-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Outside the thread, but, indeed, Rubió's participation en the Senate Hearing was a clear ad hominen argument rather than on the subject. I hope he and his strategists do see that US Vs Castro as a voting campaign aims at elders who don't care anymore or don't even vote anymore.
With Ross-Lehtinen retiring, the rethoric and "voice" of those still stuck in 1956 may not be that loud or relevant anymore.

The travel restrictions did not change, a US Citizen willing to travel directly from US territory must still meet about 12 categories.All the US airlines that inaugurated direct flights, cut back or cancelled: no demand, interest or economic benefit.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:21 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,140 times
Politics aside, as a Florida resident, its PREPOSTEROUS that we aren't 'allowed' to go to Cuba.

But we can fly to the Mid East? We can visit African Dictator nations?

Yet people in Key West can't take a boat ride to Cuba for the weekend and when you take a cruise you have to go the long way as to not 'intrude' in Cuban waters.

Just from an American standpoint, I don't get how the party of 'small government' wants to tell me where I can and can't travel/vacation to. Sure, advise me NOT to go to North Korea, but If I want to go and risk getting imprisoned for taking a photo, that's my prerogative.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:32 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
So, is he bringing back preferential immigration policies for Cubans?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:26 AM

1,049 posts, read 959,736 times
This is an absurdly dumb move on so many levels, both politically and economically. Not surprised though, this president has shown a total lack of awareness on almost every issue.

You would think a business man would see the upside to open relations with Cuba, precisely when he is so eager to have open relations with Saudi Arabia. His foreign policy choices befuddle me, frankly. They make absolutely no sense from any perspective. It's like a child playing chess for the first time, just moving pieces around with no strategic outlook.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:57 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,390,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Politics aside, as a Florida resident, its PREPOSTEROUS that we aren't 'allowed' to go to Cuba.

But we can fly to the Mid East? We can visit African Dictator nations?

Yet people in Key West can't take a boat ride to Cuba for the weekend and when you take a cruise you have to go the long way as to not 'intrude' in Cuban waters.

Just from an American standpoint, I don't get how the party of 'small government' wants to tell me where I can and can't travel/vacation to. Sure, advise me NOT to go to North Korea, but If I want to go and risk getting imprisoned for taking a photo, that's my prerogative.
+1 Agreed

Old 06-17-2017, 03:53 AM

345 posts, read 268,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
Outside the thread, but, indeed, Rubió's participation en the Senate Hearing was a clear ad hominen argument rather than on the subject. I hope he and his strategists do see that US Vs Castro as a voting campaign aims at elders who don't care anymore or don't even vote anymore.
With Ross-Lehtinen retiring, the rethoric and "voice" of those still stuck in 1956 may not be that loud or relevant anymore.

The travel restrictions did not change, a US Citizen willing to travel directly from US territory must still meet about 12 categories.All the US airlines that inaugurated direct flights, cut back or cancelled: no demand, interest or economic benefit.

Obama was just a Houdini...too much ado for nothing. He went there with the pope and the holy ghost to "open relationships"..but he did nothing as the American Embassy was already there but with another name.

Nothing has changed, so Trump won't have to do much to "revert" things. The Cuban government is only interested in propaganda and smooching some occasional wise guy, so they can use Obama and Trump...and they have their "pioneers" in Miami. A big error of Cuban Americans, they should have stopped the flow 30 years ago.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
... The Cuban government is only interested in propaganda and smooching some occasional wise guy, so they can use Obama and Trump...and they have their "pioneers" in Miami. A big error of Cuban Americans, they should have stopped the flow 30 years ago.
Looking at the facts, without involving the passions of one side or the other.
The minute changes proposed by the current Administration, do not change anything either.
Ruling that American companies can only do business with private enterprises, for any significant commerce, say import and maintenance of medical equipment can only be done through and with the Government.
No change for the nation island to be a refuge for american fugitives.

There's propaganda from both sides. The general population in Cuba is not necessarily anxious to topple their regime and, hmm, doing actual work to be self sufficient. Not all want to escape, the $700 they receive from their children, goes a long way in Cuba; wait 'till they see how much they charge for a cortado at Versailles.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 AM

345 posts, read 268,681 times
In Cuba, GAESA is like Mr. Smith in Matrix...
In Cuba, is entirely impossible to make business with "private enterprises" without GAESA (Army-Raul).
Nobody knows what the general population thinks about the subject, but most want changes that the government will never grant them.
The general population does not have time, info or interest on the subject, they are too busy surviving.
700 dollars from their children? who?
A minority receives money from abroad, most, I'd say 80 percent..mostly blacks, don't receive a thing.
Venezuela was a real aid -misiones and such-and it's falling fast.
Cuban-Americans should not be allowed to visit Cuba after all they entered the US under the premises of being exiles, or assemble pro-castro organizations when they entered as exiles, a matter of common sense.
Cuba is packed with rafters from Hialeah that entered the US as exiles, they should be expelled.
I read today that Germany expelled some 200 Syrian refugees that went to Syria for holidays, the US should do the same.
Not all want to flee, but even allegados and dirigentes want a foot out in case of imminent disgrace, and plump accounts abroad and now they all have Spanish passports so they can travel to Miami every week to drink a cortadito, which is cheaper at Versailles than in places like Sylvain.
Many "new class" also travel to Cancun, which they find cheaper than Cuban resorts.

Last edited by papuolo; 06-20-2017 at 04:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami