U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 PM

43 posts, read 164,574 times

Advertisements

Can someonne please give me a rundown of the nastiest hoods in Miami-Dade? I'm coming down there in a few weeks and I'd like to enjoy my time instead of being bothered by pan-handlers,muggers,car-jackers, ya' know....those one's etc.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM

549 posts, read 1,891,436 times
Google "worst neighborhoods in Miami" and the first result should be a previous thread that discusses this in more detail. The short answer though--avoid Liberty City, Opa-Locka, Overtown, Miami Gardens, Little Haiti, and Hialeah. These are all on the north side of Miami (with the exception of Overtown, which is close to downtown) and you would probably have no reason to be up that way. Almost all of the bad neighborhoods are clustered together on the north end of Miami and immediately around the airport. If the address you're going to has "NW" (northwest) in it, be a little skeptical and cautious...

Old 03-11-2008, 01:09 PM

1,769 posts, read 5,645,774 times
Doral is pretty damn hard.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM

43 posts, read 164,574 times
Thanks! Liberty City is quite an infamous ghetto nationwide! I'll make to stay away from there, unless I wanna' do some "sight seeing".

Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 PM

8,459 posts, read 16,317,896 times
North of the river, west of US-1 and east of 57 ave, is a good start. North of there is bad mostly towards 37Ave east to I-95. Hialeah is very ugly, but not high crime for tourists. Opa-Locka is the high crime area, just east of the railroad tracks. Other than the southern part of the county, the rest of it is as safe as any other city in the US.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:08 PM

6,455 posts, read 12,974,234 times
The sad part is you will see this almost in most parts of Miami-Dade. Panhandlers are on just about every corner on US1 from South Miami to Pinecrest for instance. Muggers and car jackers, pick pockets etc, don't just stay in one area. South Beach has their own issues with these. So to say this area is safe you will not have any problems, is tough. Sorry for the bad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwhistle View Post
Can someonne please give me a rundown of the nastiest hoods in Miami-Dade? I'm coming down there in a few weeks and I'd like to enjoy my time instead of being bothered by pan-handlers,muggers,car-jackers, ya' know....those one's etc.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,332,156 times
http://www.nrps.com/community/gifs/aniholdup-lg.gif (broken link)
Vacation in Raleigh, because he's gonna get you!!!!!! He's gonna get you!!!!

Tallrick broke it down quite nicely. Your in a major metropolitan area. There is crime present in almost any area, but basic precautions can keep you from becoming victimized. Do you currently live in a large metropolitan area? If you do, stay out of the neighborhoods Tallrick mentioned and use similar common sense that you would at home. Although I DID get pickpocketed in Coconut Grove once. 20 dollars.

And panhandlers on the busiest roads are in most large cities . The only area I have found them to be aggressive is oddly, in Boca Raton, where I had one pour water on my windshield and clean it with newspaper. NY style. In the defined "good areas" in Miami I have never had a problem with aggressive panhandlers.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 PM

546 posts, read 1,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
http://www.nrps.com/community/gifs/aniholdup-lg.gif (broken link)
Vacation in Raleigh, because he's gonna get you!!!!!! He's gonna get you!!!!
LOL, I'm LMAO...I've lived in raleigh and that was funny. What do you know about Raleigh?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 PM

42 posts, read 66,353 times
Pretty much everything south of the Broward line, east of the everglades and north of Key Largo...

Old 03-11-2008, 04:30 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,917,931 times
If you are in the Downtown area you may have somebody come up to your car at a stop light and want to clean your windshield ,so the best advice is to keep your car windows up and run the light or stop sign if necessary. A person will pop up out of nowhere with a spray bottle and a rag and want a few dollars for doing your windows ,they don't ask they just go right to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami